Redmond Simonsen

Preussen2
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Redmond Simonsen

Post by Preussen2 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:29 pm

It brought a few tears to my eyes when I read the dedication to the remarkable Redmond Simonsen. I had been unaware that he is no longer among us.

He was a major contributor to the development of conflict simulation and physical systems design. Few have had such an enduring influence in this field as Redmond Simonsen. It seems appropriate that "Battle of the Bulge", which clearly marks a watershed in tablet game development, is dedicated to his memory.

Thank you.

jeffd
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Redmond Simonsen

Post by jeffd » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:25 pm

I'm very glad you noticed that. Before we picked our official name and incorporated, Shenandoah Studio's working title was "Project Simonsen", and we operated under that code name for about a year. Eric and I chose that name to pay tribute to his mentor and to remind ourselves that we weren't just out to make games- we were out to make a company that could regularly turn out great games, the way Simonsen did at SPI. That's what we hope to do with Shenandoah, though it's a lot to live up to.

You might be interested in checking out the memorial page on our main website. It has a copy of his obituary and links to a few people's memories of him, including Eric's.

JNash
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Thanks for honoring my uncle

Post by JNash » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:57 am

As I've been playing the game, I have seen his fingerprints on the game.

He and I spoke daily for the last years of his life, and he told me many things about the SPI days, they were always represented with great fondness. I'm sure he would love this game, and by now would be kicking the butts of all pretenders.

All the best!

Jim Nash

Return to “Shenandoah General Discussion Forum”