Card Driven Games on the tablet

Happy Wanderer
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Card Driven Games on the tablet

Post by Happy Wanderer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:54 am

Gentlemen of Shenandoah Studios,

Thanks you for advancing board gaming into a new age –bravo! I very much wish you all the success so you may establish yourself and your products as the market leaders in tablet based historical simulations.

Whilst I can see you will be focusing in on ‘traditional safe bet’ games in your initial efforts to establish your company, and rightly so, I see that one of your designers is Mark Herman, one of the giants of paper based board games. I am looking forward to his El Alamein.

I am a great fan of the genre he started, namely the Card Driven Game ala We The People and its latest iteration, Washington’s War by GMT games. They are hugely popular games/simulations.

Can I ask that as you look ahead you consider the great advantages of the CDG game and a tablet based version of those game types. It is the very nature of the variability of CDG games that give them such great reply value and longevity. The intuitive use of the tablet would also bode very well for these types of games which often are not that ‘counter heavy’. For tablet based games I think this is an important feature. The beauty of high quality components on a lovely map on crystal clear tablets would offer an excellent gaming experience...even one played against a computer. Possibly the AI on CDG games would be a challenge but even a human vs human version would be superb.

Best of luck with your new venture and I hope CDG type games make the cut in the future with Shenandoah Studios.

Cheers

Rolf

AdmiralEggman
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Card Driven Games on the tablet

Post by AdmiralEggman » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:22 pm

Rolf,

As a lover of the CDG genre, I'd love to see this happen. The biggest hurdle would be with asynch play (which for me is the best thing about Game Center). I can't imaging having to confirm back and forth for some CDG card abilities for reactions. I think that would slow the game to a crawl. That said, if any one can figure out a way to make it work in a way wargamers would enjoy, it's Shenandoah.

Ros

s_nkarp
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Card Driven Games on the tablet

Post by s_nkarp » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:04 am

Excellent thoughts on both sides. I love CDGs, but we need something that plays to the medium's many strengths. We did actually try to get the rights to Washington's War and may try for others of that type. The AI would be ferociously difficult to do well.

Return to “Shenandoah General Discussion Forum”