What's next? (after El Alamein, i.e.)

currymutton
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

What's next? (after El Alamein, i.e.)

Post by currymutton »

Hello guys!

I read the next one will be El Alamein (both battles I presume), there are suggestions on moving to the East, but my vote goes to Operation Crusader. First off I am a North African Campaign nut; not to mention that this is a very fine example of maneuver warfare. The PC/Mac version made by Atomic Games / Avalon Hill is a very fine game.

My vote after this goes to Market Garden.
SgtElias
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: What's next? (after El Alamein, i.e.)

Post by SgtElias »

>>I wonder why there have to be new Apps for every scenario - why not ONE app with in-app purchases... would probably save some space on the portable devices...

Good question. Some answers: Most of the size of the apps is unique assets: the map at multiple scales, custom art, photos, sounds, custom code. One app with many situations would be almost as bulky as multiple apps, without the ability to delete situations no longer in active play.

From a tech perspective, though (for example) Bulge and Moscow have a lot of similar code, there are difference. New units, new rules, new features. Retro-fitting all old titles to new capabilities is...not easy. It would also orphan users without the most modern devices/OS'es

Lastly, from a marketing point of view, it's hard for people to find out about new scenarios to an existing app so they can buy or play them. When was the last time a new IAP got much media attention?
daviddunham
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by daviddunham »

Good points, Sgt. I don’t think there is any way to review or rate in app purchases on the App store either.

Taking a very quick look: there are ~424 MB of images in Drive on Moscow. Many of these are dialog backgrounds or other elements that could be shared (like combat animations or strength pips). The map is about 320 MB. Moscow’s map may be a bit larger than average, but even if we managed to share every other asset, you would end up with a pretty large game very quickly.
bob0809

Post by bob0809 »

Have you guys thought about a WW1 game?

Looking at Drive on Moscow, I feel like the Western Front would be a great topic for the series.
I mean the campaign of 1914, not the stalemate of the later war.

It would actually be rather similar to Drive on Moscow I find: the Germans would have to get through Belgium and France before the Allies get too strong.

Either way, I am sure whatever you have planned will turn out great!
Yothmot
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Yothmot »

Hi Folks

Many congratulations on Bulge and Moscow. Really great work! I used to play these type of board games in the 80s and always hoped someone would computerise them. Now there is all the strategy and none of the dice rolling and table consulting. It used to take hours!

As to what next - I think the best game of this type I ever played was Hells Highway by Ted Koller and Victory Games. It had a real tension and it was never clear who would win until near the end of the game. (I think you have got the same tension in Bulge and Moscow by the way. No game is the same which is great.)

One thing the board games had over what you have done so far was the possibility of exploring different scenarios by changing the initial placement. I used to look at what might have been if the drop zones at Arnhem had been set near the bridge and the Allies had decided to accept the additional casualties that would have entailed.

Questions

1. Would it be possible to include player control over initial placement as an option on the games?

2. Would it be possible to produce a game construction App that enabled you to create your own counters and terrain?

3. I would highly recommend the Arnhem scenario as a future project - is it a possibility?

Anyway I would definitely buy anything you put out. Well done and keep going.
daviddunham

Post by daviddunham »

Initial placement is actually one of those things that’s much easier on paper (along with "let’s keep playing after the game has supposedly ended"). You now need to code a whole new set of rules for legal placement and possibly user interface. (In Crisis in Command games, you need to not only specify where units go, but who owns what space, since things may start contested.)
OxfordGuy3
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Two things I'd like to see:

More North Africa scenarios - Operation Crusader, Battle Axe, Gazala, Operation Compass etc.

Napoleonic Scenarios - not Waterloo, as that's overdone (and massive), but prefer a series of linked scenarios from the Peninsula Campaign
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Also, Yothnot's right, Arnhem would be great too, especially with options for historical or more random unit placement (as the parachutes and gliders could quite easily have landed elsewhere)
Topher

Post by Topher »

I absolutely second the Napoleonic era but I'd love to see a couple games set in more ancient times since that era is somewhat lackluster for good iOS strategy titles. However, my most wanted titles would be either on based on the American Revolution or the War of 1812. I've got enough 20th century European war games to play already.

It's almost a shame that you can't cut loose and run with a Dune inspired game or something.There are too many non-historical worlds out there just ripe to base a game on and yet decade after decade all we get is rubbish from developers who make the attempt.
RitterKruez

Post by RitterKruez »

I would love to see some ancient warfare games. Would take some heavy modification I would think to get the right feel for melee cav archer combat. But it could be really awesome! I'd personally love to see some European medieval battles. But any type of old school melee game in any period would be welcome in my book. Any one else want some of this type of warfare as well?
Sourdust
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Sourdust »

So, I know you guys are probably headed for the well-known battle favorites, if you are going to do another Command Crisis game. I would confidently predict that you're at least thinking about:

Market Garden
Case Blue & Stalingrad
Normandy

And if you're feeling a bit more adventurous and willing to take a bit of risk:

Crusader and/or Gazala
Kasserine
Kharkov, Korsun, and/or Kursk
Fall Gelb - invasion of france

Whatever it is, I'll buy it. But I'd love to this wonderfully flexible game system go a bit further afield. From a gaming perspective, the following battles would be potentially well suited to a Command Crisis game:

1) Japanese invasion of Malaya 1941. Was touch-and-go right up until the final days in Singapore, has a nice mix of units, probably 30 to a side if simulated at regimental level. Fun tricks and special abilities like Japanese amphibious hops to outflank defensive lines, and quick jungle movement, Allied command difficulties, etc., and a few good elite units on each side. Both sides were exhausted and out of supply by the end of the battle, the Japanese only won by the slimmest of margins.

2) Spanish Civil war. The whole thing, with turns covering perhaps a dozen or 15 discrete offensive phases lasting a few months each, which the players could bid for. The successful bidder loses precious supply points, but gains the benefit of a few prepared offensive phases or something like that. There's plenty of back and forth in this conflict, and lots of room for a bit of chrome: international brigades, german and italian and russian forces, both sides undertaking major offensives right up until the end, and potential for quite a bit of random variation in the initial set up.

3) Marita-Merkur. Again, a couple of discrete and interesting battle phases. Italians attack and are repelled by Greece, Greece counterattacks and is eventually halted in Albania, and Germany intervenes and the race is on for Athens. The longer Greece and the Commonwealth can delay things, the worse it is for the Germans who need to free up their forces to re-deploy for Barbarossa. Tricky terrain for attacker and defender alike.

4) Weserubung - invasion of Norway. This would stretch the engine a bit, but I've always thought this was a fascinating battle with so many strategic choices about where to apply force for each side. The Germans would get a surprise phase to plan and get their troops ashore, always with a risk that alert Norwegians inflict some reverses. Then the Allies have to decide where to concentrate their limited expeditionary force, and both sides have to play a careful game of cat-and-mouse with their naval forces. This one would require naval and land zones, and some representation of naval warfare. This was an ambiguous victory for Germany: they got Norway and with it bases for their U-boats for the rest of the war, but at the cost of severe warship losses that the German navy never really recovered from, and that probably precluded Sea Lion even if they had won the air Battle of Britain. Probably 40-50 units per side, being brigades, individual capital ships, and flotillas of smaller ships.

I'm sure there are lots of other battles big and small that the CC system can handle well. It's so wonderfully scalable, in terms of time and geography!

Good luck
sourdust
Andy1971

Post by Andy1971 »

Would be fascinated to see Normandy campaign given consideration:

Battle for Caen, the Falaise Gap, Cherbourg and the Cotentin Peninsula, and also the breakout leading to, eventually, to an additional game in Market Garden.

But I'm getting ahead of myself- the amphibious and airborne landings could be addressed directly, as well as different scenarios concerning the personalities; differences in operational thinking between Von Runstedt and Rommel are well documented and this would lead to different responses to the Allied Landings. So, there you go...
s_nkarp
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by s_nkarp »

Would love to do all of those (now just need 200 more programmers !)
Kavomatovlbat

Whats next after El Alamein i e

Post by Kavomatovlbat »

I would like to be able to duplicate previous/next keys.
Also, choose multiple fx and be able to move the key-points at the same time.
I really like this program, its an entry into 3D that really works to and can yield excellent results.
Huragan
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Huragan »

My Vote is for Market Garden...

This is thread #5 that discusses a wish list; however, none of them have been started by either a Shenandoah or Slitherine representative which would give it a bit more oomph! and hopefully get a new title on the drawing board.
mboog12
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by mboog12 »

Hi, I've answered in a similar thread.

Return to “Shenandoah General Discussion Forum”