How to colour NATOsymbols differently?

A secret place for modders to chat and ask questions. Requires forum registration.

Moderators: firepowerjohan, rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

OxfordGuy3
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

How to colour NATOsymbols differently?

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Hi - I'd like to colour some of the NATO counters differently, both the large ones and the smaller ones. In some AARs (e.g. this one:http://www.slitherine.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 78&t=41834 ), I've seen the NATO symbol for paratroops coloured differently (like with Soviet Gurads units) - I'd like to do this, to help keep track of them, and also ideally for units with HQs assigned (if possible) - is there a guide on how to do this and/or which file(s) do I need to look at to Mod this? Thanks!
OxfordGuy3

Re: How to colour NATOsymbols differently?

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Ah looks like what I might have to do is copy and rename the images for one of the paratroop symbols used by another power - France perhaps? Doesn't look like I can anything about HQs, though
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Ah looks like what I might have to do is copy and rename the images for one of the paratroop symbols used by another power - France perhaps? Doesn't look like I can anything about HQs, though. Although that would only work for the small counters, for the large ones I'd have to cut out the NATO symbol on one counter and paste it onto another, which sounds a bit too tedious to bother with... :-(
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

HQ's are shown with a general icon instead of the country icon. We don't use separate counters for units with HQ's so they can't be shown differently. Paratroopers and Guards units are coded to use different images than the regular units. That is why they look different.

It's possible to use separate images for units with leaders attached to them, but that will require quite a bit of coding. In addition you need to create separate versions of all images for units that can have leaders attached (land units). That is quite a bit of work and can't be done by regular players. You need access to the GS v3.0 source code files and have a person skilled with altering png images

Remember that most players don't use the NATO counters. Instead they use the unit images. For unit images paratroopers and guards and shown with an icon in a corner of the unit.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

If you play with the large counters then you will get the text HQ shown instead of the general image to make it easier to spot where the generals are located. With large counters you will also be able to see quite a few of the unit values directly on the counter. That can help spotting your elite units you want to assign for tough battles.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Stauffenberg wrote:If you play with the large counters then you will get the text HQ shown instead of the general image to make it easier to spot where the generals are located. With large counters you will also be able to see quite a few of the unit values directly on the counter. That can help spotting your elite units you want to assign for tough battles.
Yes, I find the information on the large counters really useful, and have been playing the game with these turned on usually, just sometimes switching to small counters when I need to see the terrain better whilst moving units. Whilst the unit sprites are nice eye candy, I find it much easier to figure out what's going on with the counters!

Return to “Commander - Europe at War : Modders Corner”