Gettysburg: The Tide Turns playtesting - Apply Here!

A place to discuss the upcoming hex-based Civil War simulation from Shenandoah Studio
s_robertm73
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Re: Gettysburg: The Tide Turns playtesting - Apply Here!

Post by s_robertm73 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:37 pm

I have played wargames for over 20 years. As a miniature player, as a board game, on the PC, on the Ipad, and on a Mac. I love how the bulge game played.

Mark Johnson

Post by Mark Johnson » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:55 pm

Sign me up!

I'm a retired Army officer, veteran wargamer (30+ years), and now a Ph.D. historian with the U.S. Army. Am a scholar of the Civil War (check out my first book, That Body of Brave Men: The U.S. Regular Infantry and the Civil War in the West). I also head up an active wargame group here in Lexington, SC, so I'd be able to coordinate efforts with a large pool of volunteers.

My design/playtesting credentials mainly involve the Advanced Tobruk System from Critical Hit: I wrote the 3.0 version of the system rules, and designed the Civil War adaptation of the core ATS game engine (to be released--someday--as Gettysburg: Turning Point 1863.

Standing by for orders!

cinc

Post by cinc » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:54 pm

Avidd wrote:Hi all,

I am Australian, I have an iPad mini so we can test the game on a smaller screen, I love battle of the bulge, and it's got to be good to have someone late in the time zone on planet earth. Have been gaming since 70s with strategy and tactics, I have toured most of the civil war sites in USA, so I have a good feel for the field of battle, and line of site.

Cheers David
Again, this is testing of the board game version of the game. We won't begin software testing until after the new year. Still interested?
Eric

afschell

Post by afschell » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:51 pm

Hello everyone.

I would like to volunteer to play test "Gettysburg: The Tide Turns". Having started wargaming with "August 1914" (which I admit was a bit heavy for a teenager). When that didn't scare me off, I continued with various Civil War and sci-fi board games for the next 40 years. I am also an avid RPG'er having gamed with the same group for almost as long.

Additionally, I work in Philadelphia on a daily basis so am more than likely available if any face-to-face testing is required. And finally, I know some novice board gamers who I believe can be convinced to offer their impressions.

Hope to hear from you soon.

-- AFSchell

JBMichael6

Post by JBMichael6 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi, wargamer for about 20 years. Pretty familiar with the Battle of Gettysburg. Avid player of Battle of the Bulge. Familiar with board and digital wargames. Just relocated to OH so probably can only offer to solitaire the print version.

boone737

Post by boone737 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks for the consideration, Eric.

I can test more than one game at a time, even if Mark tries to threaten you. :)
If you change your mind, you know where to find me.

Sincerely,
Steve

RobHinkle

Post by RobHinkle » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:03 pm

I would like to volunteer to play test "Gettysburg: The Tide Turns". I've been a playing a number of civil war games for a number of years, both board and computer based versions. I'm also pretty local to your studio (live in Blue Bell, PA, work in West Conshohocken) so I'd be available to visit for on-site play test if needed.

Crimedog66

Post by Crimedog66 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Hello,
I am interested in playtesting the Gettysburg game system. I've been playing wargames for about 30 years with everything from very simple games to the very complex. I have two sons who enjoy wargames also who are willing to help me playtest as well as local wargaming friends.

I look forward to this opportunity.

s_Kolbex

Post by s_Kolbex » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:33 pm

You've got a lot of heavy wargamers and history buffs lining up. I have not played a hex-based wargame since I made up scenarios on the fly for the DOS version of Wooden Ships & Iron Men back in college, and I don't know much about the Civil War beyond what your average American gets taught in school (and I fell asleep during Pickett's Charge when I went to see Gettysburg with my uncle; I was young and it was dark and the music was quite soothing). I have, however, read half of the Art of Game Design and I am a huge fan of turn-based strategy games. I am articulate and curious about systems and as for solitaire I am always willing to play with myself.

Nukemgreg

Post by Nukemgreg » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:03 am

Hi!

I don't know if you are still considering candidates for play testing but I would like to add my name for consideration. I have been playing wargames all my life (for about 30 years). While I don't have a particular period which I focused on I do generally like Napoleonic and American Civil War (ACW) period. While I have played and owned numerous ACW games my particular favorites are Terrible Swit Sword (TSS) by SPI, Gettysburg by Avalanche Press and most recently, The Guns of Gettysburg. While I don't get much opportunity to play TSS (much less set it up), I do enjoy the grand scope of the game which is why I like the other two. As a Project Manager for a major defense contractor, I understand the need for frequent feedback and written reports when workin on a project. I would akin play testing to this albeit a lot more fun and relaxing. I hope you will consider me to help refine what is looking to be a great game.

Thank you for your time.

Greg Wong

cewargamer

Post by cewargamer » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi-

I've been board gaming since the mid-1960s, cutting my teeth on the Avalon Hill classics- original Gettysburg, Afrika Korps, Stalingrad, etc. Have mostly been playing computer games since the 1980s and am a fan of your Battle of the Bulge.

I live in Center City Philadelphia, am currently unemployed, and have an itch to get back into gaming.

For what it's worth, I majored in US Military History in college and grad school. Born and raised in Gettysburg, I lived on the battlefield (if you count the town) and spent years crawling over the battlefield and running it's avenues.

Thanks for your consideration......

Dumasclub

Post by Dumasclub » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:17 am

I would like to be a play tester if I am not to late. I play tested games for Talonsoft, back in the nineties when they made wargames before they got bought out. I have been playing wargames since 1975. I do have some time, an Ipad and experience with computer game work.

s_Swing
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by s_Swing » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:16 pm

I would love to playtest. I have a vast amount of wargaming experience both on tabletop and with strategic turn-based games. Since I was 12 I have played Warhammer and Warhammer 40k, back in 1999 before Mordheim first came out, I was lucky enough as a teenager to stay with the GW team after the store closed and playtest their upcoming warband related game with the store managers and sometimes corporate. Even before then as a kid I was a lover of strategy games like C&C and Panzer General series. As I got older I had multiple armies for various table-top strategy games. Since the recession a number of excellent gaming stores have closed unfortunately, as well as GW has deteriorated, not really releasing much and only having 1 employee per store. Before this happened I was an avid Flames of War player. Not only did I enjoy playing these games but I have won NUMEROUS awards and prizes for best painted miniatures/armies, because I felt that if you're playing a table top game with miniatures it should look as best and realistic as it could. I feel that besides playtesting the rules I would be instrumental in giving you feedback regarding the art you have for your gaming table. I am also very familiar with cut and play, and I have all the tools necessary as I am really into papercraft as well to use in the cut and play games I have printed out.

Besides all of this I am a college graduate with a GREAT interest and knowledge of history especially ranging from the 19-20th century with special emphasis on early 20th century, turn of the century, politics, countries, world views, and ESPECIALLY military. I have knowledge of military formations and unit structures ranging from squad<platoon<company<battalion<regiment<brigade<division<corps<army along with certain roles various units played in battle in different wars. I currently am writing a book about a certain group of soldiers in WW1 to hopefully be released by the centennial. Regarding the Civil War I have had relatives that arrived in Texas in 1836 from Spain and fought for the Confederates, Hispanics in the Confederate army outnumbered Hispanics in the Union Army 3:1, in the 33rd Texas Calvary Regiment if I remember correctly. I have also studied the western battlefields in New Mexico as well as the Union and Confederate Army structure as divisions, brigades, and regiments were MUCH smaller back then. I could go on and give you more information but I hope this is enough to help you make a decision to let me playtest and if you would like more please feel free to ask!

cinc

Post by cinc » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:39 pm

Dumasclub wrote:I would like to be a play tester if I am not to late. I play tested games for Talonsoft, back in the nineties when they made wargames before they got bought out. I have been playing wargames since 1975. I do have some time, an Ipad and experience with computer game work.
This is the board game version, we test that way before we write code. If still interested, let me know. -Eric

s_ChiefMagua

Post by s_ChiefMagua » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:12 pm

I am interested in playtesting and have an extensive background in computer war-game testing both on the Macintosh and PC.

I was an original Mac playtester for Three Sixty Pacific, Atomic Games (Mattel, Microsoft and Avalon Hill), and Matrix Games for the following titles:
- Harpoon, original Mac version
- Victory At Sea
- All titles in the V for Victory series
- All titles in the World At War series
- All titles in the Close Combat series

I tested for SSG and worked primarily on Carriers At War.

I also tested various titles for Talonsoft.

I also tested productivity software for Beagle Bros.(Beagle Works and Intuit (Quicken and MacInTax)

I was an IT director for a major midwestern daily newspaper and developed and managed a service based software and online development company for nine years.

I was excited when I saw quality hex/turn based wargaming coming to the iPad and purchased Battle Of The Bulge as soon as it was available. I have also been playing Combat Mission iOS. I was an avid board war gamer for many years and the Civil War genre was my favorite. I am quite excited about the upcoming Gettysburg: The Tide Turns from your studio.

I am retired and available to playtest. My iOS equipment includes an iPhone 4S (16GB) and an iPad Mini Retina (16GB).

I also have a MacBook Pro (Lion) and and older Windows XP Pro PC.

Thanks,

G. Mark (Chiefmagua) Kelm
Last edited by torbenalbertsen on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

gary_hackathorn

Post by gary_hackathorn » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:58 pm

Could I get a copy of the playtest package?

LandserDann

Post by LandserDann » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:29 pm

How is testing going? I have a great deal of grognard experience but have never been a formal tester. I am a beta tester though for Elder Scrolls Online so I do know how to spot bugs. I tend to be a follower in strategy games and more defense minded in war games. Let me know if you need help still. I have an ipad 4, wifi and cellular, 64gb, an ipad mini, 32 gb and wifi cellular, a couple of iphone 5s. All ios 7.

Bookwizard

Post by Bookwizard » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:53 pm

If you are still looking for playtesters, I would love to help.

I have been gaming since 1970 and have familiarity with all of the classics (SPI, Avalon Hill, GDW) as well as many newer games (such as Guns of Gettysburg). I have contributed to Columbia Games (e.g. "Gettysburg: Badges of Courage) have designed scenarios (e.g. Columbia Games, Victory! "Invasion of the Home Island" and "A Titanic Lad Struggle," and have edited miniature rules (e.g. Fortune and Glory! by Andrew Parr). I am a history major (B.A. from the University of Washington 1979 and have my J.D. from UPS School of Law, now Seattle University). Civil War history and Gettysburg in particular interest me greatly. Gettysburg is a great game topic. Please consider me for playtesting.

hanzelmans

Post by hanzelmans » Thu May 01, 2014 1:45 pm

I would love to participate in the playtesting of Gettysburg.

I purchased Battle of the Bulge and think it's fantastic. I'm really looking forward to El Al and like the path that Shenandoah is heading in.

I've been gaming since the 70's and have helped to playtest several games.

I have three sons and a few other playtesters in mind, so I could solo or play ftf. Plus, I live in Lancaster so I could head down to Philly for a session or two.

Looking forward to assisting if needed.

Thanks,
Steve

andifroen

Post by andifroen » Thu May 01, 2014 2:08 pm

Hello again

I would very much to play test. A kickstarter backer from the start, 30plus years of playing games starting with Atlantic Wall - and three boys of friends aged 19, 17 and 15 who are starting to discover our fine hobby via the Tiller games and of course via Bulge and Moscow. I think it would be a great thrill for them to be part of such an endeavor that will encourage them to play games like these. And besides they are an important customer group we should try to reach if I may say so

Thanks in advance for the consideration

Best Regards

Andreas

Return to “Gettysburg: The Tide Turns”