More historical victory conditions

A place to discuss the upcoming hex-based Civil War simulation from Shenandoah Studio
TangSooDo
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

More historical victory conditions

Post by TangSooDo »

I realize this is really blue sky, but I have posted already my opinion that the victory objective locations are arbitrary. They became important in the historical battle because of the way the battle developed, but in terms of one army defeating the other they are meaningless. The goal of the Army of Northern Virginia, if I recall, was to get between the Army of the Potomac and Washington, DC and threaten its capture. What if control of the road exit locations on the north, east and south sides of the map were victory locations? Whichever side controlled the majority of them at the end of the battle would be the winner.
Capitaine
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: More historical victory conditions

Post by Capitaine »

This is an issue with virtually all Gettysburg games. So much emphasis on the historical objectives, when those were only objectives when the course of the battle made them such. This could apply to all battles, actually; there is nothing of strategic value of any battlefield terrain in any battle. Battlefield terrain only provides stronger defensive positions. Battlefield terrain plays a role in determining the victor, but it isn't dispositive. The condition of the enemy army is. Yet I suppose that defining the latter is far easier said than done, which is why battlefield terrain seems to end up being used as a proxy for it.
pzgndr
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: More historical victory conditions

Post by pzgndr »

The Union victory requires a VP advantage, so this mechanic is already built in and could easily be manipulated for alternative victory conditions. How many VPs should either side have for a victory on Day 1, Day 2, Day 3? Maybe a game option to implement alternative victory conditions, with option to continue play past Day 1 and Day 2, would work. With victory assessed at end of each day, a "Best 2 out of 3" could also be considered.

Return to “Gettysburg: The Tide Turns”