Gamecenter not sending turns

Discuss Crisis in Command Volume II: Drive on Moscow. Designed by Ted Raicer
s_tcart
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Gamecenter not sending turns

Post by s_tcart » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:01 pm

Anyone else having issues with Gamecenter giving an error message rather than sending turns to the server and thus your opponent? I have four games at the moment where I've made the turn but it hasn't been sent. I got this error last night as well, but it corrected very quickly. Today it seems to be more stuck.

daviddunham
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Gamecenter not sending turns

Post by daviddunham » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:05 pm

“This error?” Screen shot might help for an unusual message.

If the game cannot contact Game Center (for example, your network just went down because your train went into a tunnel), we will send your move when there’s an opportunity to. But we also let you know that it didn’t go through, so you don’t have the expectation that your opponent got it.

How are you connecting to the net? (WiFi or cellular?)

s_tcart

Post by s_tcart » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:42 pm

I'll see if I can grab a screenshot, though it looks like a standard error message. Oddly I am still receiving turns on new games, as I just accepted an invite from a friend.

I'm on wifi and it's working fine for everything else, so it's not a general connectivity issue as far as I can tell. It's also happening on the one Bulge game I have going. Perhaps an error at gamecenter somehow?

s_tcart

Post by s_tcart » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:48 pm

Here's a screenshot.

s_tcart

Post by s_tcart » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:00 am

After surfing various forums for Gamecenter problems I found a lot of people having the same issue on various games. I shut the entire iPad down, reconnected, and it seems to be working fine now. I think somehow it lost my iCloud password or something and simply couldn't connect. It doesn't look like an issue with the game itself.

daviddunham

Post by daviddunham » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:16 pm

I can't be sure due to the reduced size, but that looks pretty generic. There are a slew of possible errors talking to a server, and we do retry, so the game may simply be doing the right thing here.

boone737
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by boone737 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:34 pm

The problem I'm having with GC is not finding out my opponent had moved until I leave the game. I'll stare at the board, puzzling out my next move in anticipation of theirs, when I finally give up and move back to email or safari, and as I do, I see the red badge notifying me of my awaited turn. Nothing on the little menu icon before I left. No notice of any kind.

s_nkarp
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by s_nkarp » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:30 am

Boone737 wrote:The problem I'm having with GC is not finding out my opponent had moved until I leave the game. I'll stare at the board, puzzling out my next move in anticipation of theirs, when I finally give up and move back to email or safari, and as I do, I see the red badge notifying me of my awaited turn. Nothing on the little menu icon before I left. No notice of any kind.
I find it frustrating too. We had long discussions about this. In a nutshell: we can either wait for notifications from Game Center (which usually come fast, but are not guaranteed within a particular period of time) or we can ask for an update directly. Every time we do the latter it increases power consumption and chews up data (not good if someone leaves their iPad open overnight on a data plan!). Every time you tap the menu button it refreshes, even if Apple is busy and lagging on notifications.

Return to “Drive On Moscow”