Hard crash in iOS 8

A place to discuss Desert Fox from Shenandoah Studio.
smmoulder
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Hard crash in iOS 8

Post by smmoulder »

Playing the campaign as the Brits. 6th or 7th day. AI is wrapping up and about to switch over to my turn and app crashes to "desktop" (home screen). Playing against "Unknown General".

When I try to restart the app, it crashes immediately as it attempts to resume the game (right after the Game Center's "Welcome back" message pops up.

Killed the app using the app switcher, same behavior on starting the app fresh. Restarted iPad (holding home and off buttons till it restarts), try again, crash.

Running an iPad Air, 32 Gig Wifi with about 880mb remaining (so kind of tight on storage). iOS 8 Version (12A365).

I assume I could delete and re-install the app and play again (just losing the game in progress, which is no big deal). But in the off chance there is some data that I could send to help identify the issue, I will leave it alone for a couple days.

PS I work with another iOS developer and have Testflight for alpha/beta builds if it would be useful to have me try an unreleased build.
daviddunham
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Hard crash in iOS 8

Post by daviddunham »

Have you tried disabling Restore State in the Settings app (scroll down for Desert Fox)?
sconrow
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by sconrow »

I have the same issue since update to iOS 8. The offered fix does not prevent the same crash, but does allow the app to restart a fresh game. Curiously, I have experience the crash only when playing the British side.
s_Stan

Post by s_Stan »

Same issue, playing as Germans against Montgomery in the El Alamein Campaign.

Started five games all which crashed. First one under iOS 8.0

Second and third game after upgrade to iOS 8.0.1

Fourth and fifth under iOS 8.0.2

Have unchecked the restore state to get game to launch and not immediately crash.

Have deleted and re-installed.

Four games on iPad Air. Fifth game on iPhone 5. Game always crashes before reaching first refit / resupply round.

Any work being done to update and correct issue then?
Last edited by keith68 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
daviddunham

Post by daviddunham »

I played a complete game vs the AI this morning (had to try out my new iPhone 6), so I don’t think it is necessarily iOS 8.0.

Can you sync your device and send a crash log? (I think the process is in the forum FAQ.)
fil512
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by fil512 »

This happened to my multiplayer game today.
Tried everything.
Reinstall app.
Upgrade to IOS 8.0.2
Turn off restore state
Kill game centre process and/or desert storm process
No dice. Every time I press the continue button it crashes.
I'm sure single player is fine. What is totally busted right now is multiplayer. We had to abandon our last 4 games because of crashes or Game Center integration problems (see my other post about that problem)
What makes the crash bug particularly frustrating is that there is no way to click on the feedback button. It plays your last move, and then the only way forward is chat or continue. Click continue it crashes. No access to feedback before it crashes.
PLEASE FIX THIS BUG!!!!
DaShox

Post by DaShox »

Yeah, this happening to me also in IOS8 (haven't updated beyond this version due to it not clear apple isn't creating more problems with their updates). Crash happens both on IPAD mini and iphone. I have trade restarting.

It is occurring at the end of the day for for me on July 5 of campaign (as Germans) [turn 8] - looks like it occurs after I complete my turn and is going to the next day. This is a game on game center against an opponent.

I have disable the restore state and it allowed it to start, but still fails.
fil512

Post by fil512 »

It looks like it's consistently crashing every time at the end of the first two weeks when it asks you the refit question. Must be something about the refit page in IOS8 that causes it to crash.

Can we please see some indication from Shenandoah that they acknowledge that multiplayer doesn't work atm? An expected timeline for resolution would also be greatly appreciated!
DaShox

Post by DaShox »

Interestingly I have kept trying each day, and today it moved beyond the hard crash and the game seems to be progressing.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

Hello All,

Sorry for the delay in our response. Unfortunately we are going through a transitional period, so we are adding any bugs to the bug list to fix as soon as possible, but things are a bit up in the air at the moment. Once we have got everything sorted behind the scenes we will be progressing back through this, ensuring iOS 8 compatibility and fixing a few other bugs that have been discovered. Sorry for the delay in getting these fixed, but we are aware and we will work on a resolution as soon as we can.
fil512

Post by fil512 »

Does the "transitional period" refer to this?

http://www.thelordzgamesstudio.com/site ... ah-studio/

Very eager to being able to play multiplayer again...
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

fil512 wrote:Does the "transitional period" refer to this?

http://www.thelordzgamesstudio.com/site ... ah-studio/

Very eager to being able to play multiplayer again...
Exactly.
fil512

Post by fil512 »

Is there anybody home? Your fantastic game is unplayable in multiplayer. Please fix it!!
Thomasgex

Hard crash in iOS 8

Post by Thomasgex »

So that drive didnt crash, just the operating system or the circuitry that encased the drive. Yeah, never throw your hdds if you have sensitive data on them. Thats whats up though.....

Return to “Desert Fox: The Battle of El Alamein”