Is this moddable?

Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy is a game of 3D tactical space battles. Play your part in the Second Contact War in a campaign with a branching story and over 60 missions, or create your own scenarios in skirmish mode battles.
Solaristics
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Is this moddable?

Post by Solaristics »

Saw the Twitch for this, and have to say that it looks like a very sweet tactical combat simulator. Although I enjoy eating shrimp as much as the next guy, this would go from "looks cool" to "Best. Game. Eva!" with B5, Star Trek and Wing Commander mods and campaigns (yeah, sure, SW, but you fan bois have enough games already ;)).
blacklab
Black Lab Studios
Black Lab Studios

Re: Is this moddable?

Post by blacklab »

Not at launch, sorry.
Paul Turbett - Game Director - Black Lab Games
twitter.com/blacklabgames
Dayka
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Dayka »

Hi, sorry for my poor english (french inside).
Do you plan to make it moddable in the future (your answer wasnt clear on that point)?
I think mainly at Steam workshop because from what i see from the "let's try" it looks like a really good game: good UI with a WeGo in semi-3D battles.

I like the idea of planes with WeGo, it makes it easier to plan tactics in a 3D environment. Some old space rts games used full 3D but orders was mainly "attack this ship" and so on, here with WeGo i like the ship navigation interface and the inherent inertie generated from the WeGo combined with "hand navigation". Means you need to really plan your manoeuver and there is always a small delay before you can react to an opponent initiative (something that reflect in my opinion the reality of commanding a ship, time needed to understand the opp initiative and then time for the chain of command).

Back to the modding question, as Star Hammer has actually only solo mode, without workshop / modding i think it will restrain the replayability.
Some tactical games like Shadowrun:Dragonfall made a real hit because of the workshop. Yes, this is a tactical RPG and blabla, but the reality is that Shadowrun:Returns had such a success only because of the modding possibility (some mods was better than the original game), success that allowed them to make dragonfall extension, etc etc...
When i see your game i really want it to expand, and for this i really want a workshop ;)

A propos solo mode, do you plan to add a multiplayer mode for skirmish battles?
blacklab
Black Lab Studios
Black Lab Studios

Post by blacklab »

It's undecided at the moment. We didn't build it with modding in mind, so it's a big task to make it moddable. It comes down to how much demand there if for the feature.

Same with MP. I don't want to make any commitments until we've investigated fully the technical issues, but MP would be something we'd do ahead of modding, I think.

Cheers, Paul
Firefox440
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Firefox440 »

With mods it would be one of the best games from all times. There is not other game where you can play as at Star Hammer.
Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Rosseau »

Not sure how hard it would be to open up ship customization in xml, even if graphics stayed the same. But I realize people want Star Wars, etc. :wink:
Firefox440

Post by Firefox440 »

By the moment is probably very very very very hard because all the files are compressed with the infamous unity3D assest format. I do not go to say how it can not be opened but it is not easy.

But yes, use your imagination, all the universe where you see a starship are good for this. For me, a batlle between a ISD and a Mon Calamari cruiser with this game would be a dream. I hope how one day it can be made.
Kraj

Post by Kraj »

Guys, you've made awesome game! If you'll add here mod support, multiplayer and ship customization, it would be just EPIC, a game, which people will play dozens of years later, like MOO2 and Homeworld!
Kraj

Post by Kraj »

So Is there a way to unpack game resources for modding?
Valerian

Post by Valerian »

This is the best 3D tactical turn based space combat game engine I have ever played, and I believe it would be a waste if it never gets moddable at some point (moar ships!), or somehow re-used in a DLC or a brand new game.

Kerbal Space Program is a game made with Unity and is very moddable, however I'm not sure if it's relevant because they probably designed it to be moddable since the beginning.
Firefox440

Post by Firefox440 »

I agree. With mods this game would live forever. Without them......no more of one year.
Rebel Yell
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Rebel Yell »

I have been looking at this for a while and it looks like exactly the kind of tactical space combat sim I'd like, but I have no interest in killing crustaceans, or aliens of any sort. Is there any way to play this against similar human ships?

Basically what I'm asking is whether or not there is a "quick battle" mode where you can select both sides, or have the computer select it's side, etc.
blacklab
Black Lab Studios
Black Lab Studios

Post by blacklab »

Basically what I'm asking is whether or not there is a "quick battle" mode where you can select both sides
There is a quick battle mode, but it's between the humans and the nautilids (aliens).
Rebel Yell
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Rebel Yell »

That's what I figured.

Thanks for answering.
mbpopolano24
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G