War for Europe and the Near East Campaign

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: War for Europe and the Near East Campaign

Post by GDod »

KiwiWarlord wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:35 pm If no Mercenary Generals I'll go Poles.
Since there has been no feedback, mercenary generals seem to be off the table ...so, we'll put you in as Poles.
Europe_Map.jpg
Europe_Map.jpg (267.05 KiB) Viewed 2567 times
youngr
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by youngr »

Count me in too please. I'll try Denmark if it hasn't been taken.

Cheers
Richard
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

youngr wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 am Count me in too please. I'll try Denmark if it hasn't been taken.

Cheers
Richard
You are very welcome to Denmark Richard
Europe_Map.jpg
Europe_Map.jpg (268.31 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Rule clarifications added:

" If there are more than two challenges for unowned territories, the first two received by PM play off, the winner has the option of accepting subsequent challenges if they wish." [Comments?]

"You can only challenge the same person once per calendar month...[added] for owned territories" [Clearly, if you have lodged a challenge for one or two unowned territories you need to also accept any simultaneously lodged challenges for these territories from other players.]
Europe_Map.jpg
Europe_Map.jpg (277.67 KiB) Viewed 2546 times
awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by awesum4 »

Gavin,

Under Scottish armies they are allowed Monmouth's rebellion. Although the name is Scottish the rebellion took place in Cornwall and Devon which as far as you can get from Scotland while still being on the British mainland.
Are the Scots allowed Scottish Royalist? An army which I believe only fought in Scotland, and mostly in the highlands.
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Germany and Italy should be made up of several states at this time should they not ?
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

awesum4 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:11 am Gavin,

Under Scottish armies they are allowed Monmouth's rebellion. Although the name is Scottish the rebellion took place in Cornwall and Devon which as far as you can get from Scotland while still being on the British mainland.
Are the Scots allowed Scottish Royalist? An army which I believe only fought in Scotland, and mostly in the highlands.
My bad... Because Monmouth is the illegitimate son of Charles II and his army was brimming with Cornish men his army should definitely be rightfully be part of the English options. I also overlooked the Scots Royalists option, which are allowed. Lists updated as below:
See options below
Portugal includes Portuguese in Morocco
Russia has access to Georgian
Germany has access to Saxony , Swabian league, German peasants, Prussian and Imperial, but not Bavaria.
Ireland has access to Irish, Jacobite Irish and Anglo-Irish [as does England]
Ottomans have access to Turcomans and Dulkadir emirate
Scotland has access to Scottish and the following: Scots Covenanters/Royalists, Scottish Border Reivers, Monmouth Rebellion, Jacobite Scottish
Austria has access to Imperial and Imperial in Africa
Hungary has access to Hungarian, Hungarian peasants and Transylvanian
England has access to English, British and the following: English Border Reivers, British Tangiers Garrison, Williamite in Scotland and Williamite in Ireland, Anglo-Irish, and Monmouth Rebellion
Persia has access Mamluk and Safavid Persian
Cossack only has access to Zaporozhian Cossack
Morocco only has access to Moroccan
Uzbek Hetmanate has access to Khanate of Kazan
Both Swiss and France have access to Savoyard
France also has access to Burgundian
Venice has access to Venetian in Africa
Swedish Protectorates have access to Swedish
Spain has access to Spanish and Spanish Imperial
Malbork has access to Teutonic Knights
Bavaria to Bavarian
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

KiwiWarlord wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:41 am Germany and Italy should be made up of several states at this time should they not ?
They should be, but the number of states makes it impractical to include in the Continental context. I would definitely itemize each state if we were basing the campaign solely on the 30 years war period lists. However, we will assume each territory represents the combined might of the individual states [and in the case of German states - the interference of imperial interests]
Player choices to date
Europe_Map.jpg
Europe_Map.jpg (278.72 KiB) Viewed 2473 times
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

I've sent each of you an invitation to start when you feel you can issue challenges... if everyone pm's challenge for unnamed territories [max 2] before the beginning of November I'll post them to give everyone plenty of time in November for games...GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL [p.s. I will always send my challenges to awsum... not to be opened by him until they have been posted on the thread to ensure accountability for my moves on unowned territories.]

Let the games commence! qui nos morituri te salutant
Europe Map.jpg
Europe Map.jpg (278.86 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

If I only challenge one player, who has multiple challenges, and they choose another challenger for battle do I sit out that round and achieve nothing?
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

w_michael wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:15 am If I only challenge one player, who has multiple challenges, and they choose another challenger for battle do I sit out that round and achieve nothing?
Only if there are multiple challenges for that player, best to challenge more than one person every month William (or unowned teritories]
Also, don't forget players may accept more than one challenge...I certainly will be :D
Last edited by GDod on Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

GDod wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:20 am
w_michael wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:15 am If I only challenge one player, who has multiple challenges, and they choose another challenger for battle do I sit out that round and achieve nothing?
Only if there are multiple challenges for that player, best to challenge more than one person every month William :D
So it is a bit like winning the lottery. I buy tickets and cross my fingers.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

... I think everyone will champ at the bit to play more than one challenge. But I propose we include an incentive...such as accepting more challenges in one turn results in the territory being 'safe' from subsequent challenges for a corresponding number of turns? I could easily put a safe marker and [number of turns] in each territory at the beginning of each month
If there are no comments, I'll assume this amendment is OK with the group. See highlighted amendment below :D
Europe Map.jpg
Europe Map.jpg (274.19 KiB) Viewed 2390 times
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

This round is going to be different to the others as we all have only one territory. But I have some questions about challenges between players.

Do you have to accept only one challenge each turn no matter how many territories you own? Or do you have to accept only one challenge for each territory you own that at least one person challenges you for?

If I lose 3 challenges for Scotland in the first turn how do you decide which person has actually won it? I cannot see why I would accept more than one challenge for it, I have to win all the games in order to keep it.

Anyway I will start the ball rolling. I hereby challenge that terrible sassenach who controls the demon kingdom to the south, namely King Ahuyton of England. I will be using Scottish border reivers 1500-1539.
w_michael

Post by w_michael »

awesum4 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:22 am Anyway I will start the ball rolling. I hereby challenge that terrible sassenach who controls the demon kingdom to the south, namely King Ahuyton of England. I will be using Scottish border reivers 1500-1539.
Why wouldn't England wait until all challenges were in, before committing to battle?

Assuming this challenge is accepted, does England conquer Scotland if they win and vice versa?

I feel like a Time Lord with the ability to choose any year in the Renaissance to launch an attack, anywhere in Europe. Then switch it around again.
Last edited by w_michael on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ahuyton »

awesum4 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:22 am
Anyway I will start the ball rolling. I hereby challenge that terrible sassenach who controls the demon kingdom to the south, namely King Ahuyton of England. I will be using Scottish border reivers 1500-1539.
We joyously accept your challenge, and our English Border Reivers are mobilising to meet you
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Hmm, I thought we were starting in November? No worries but I haven't read the rules until now and confess a few things are not clear

Can I, as Russia only issue challenges to adjacent territories only, or can I challenge the Lord of Ireland? Former I like, latter is a little weird...

Why are "numbered" territories treated differently? I don't get why if I , as Russia, attack a "numbered" player owned territory, that my opponent gets to chose from a host of armies but I would need to play potluck army ? ie suddenly my top secret Spanish army hidden under a Smolensk brothel invades Latvia? HAHA

Also when 2 players vie for the same non owned numbered territory, it just seems odd, Russsia attacks non owned Livonia and Swedish player attacks non owned Livonia, yet since no player has any army "grounded" in any time period or era or REGION , we play "potluck army" from the entirety of Paul's GIANT mod and end up playing Morracan versus Irish. ( which would be a tedious match methinks...)
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

My understanding is if I win my battle with Ahuyton I then own England, if I lose I retreat to the highlands and try somewhere else next turn.

Should he wish to invade Scotland, which is a poor, cold, wet ( que Danny Boyle joke about Noah going to Scotland) country then he must issue a challenge. But he may instead issue a challenge for sunny Spain or Algeria instead.

TGM, forget historical accuracy and logic. You can challenge (invade) any country on the map. You can invade Ireland if you wish, its warmer than Scotland but even wetter. You tell him which Russian army you are using and he picks one of the Irish armies to match you.

Numbered territories are an excuse for battles between random opponents I think, that way you can blame the crap choice of army rather than skill for the end result
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

awesum4 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:27 am My understanding is if I win my battle with Ahuyton I then own England, if I lose I retreat to the highlands and try somewhere else next turn.

Should he wish to invade Scotland, which is a poor, cold, wet ( que Danny Boyle joke about Noah going to Scotland) country then he must issue a challenge. But he may instead issue a challenge for sunny Spain or Algeria instead.

TGM, forget historical accuracy and logic. You can challenge (invade) any country on the map. You can invade Ireland if you wish, its warmer than Scotland but even wetter. You tell him which Russian army you are using and he picks one of the Irish armies to match you.

Numbered territories are an excuse for battles between random opponents I think, that way you can blame the crap choice of army rather than skill for the end result
Haha, just making sure there was a method to the madness, smorgasbord it is!
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

awesum4 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:27 am My understanding is if I win my battle with Ahuyton I then own England, if I lose I retreat to the highlands and try somewhere else next turn.

1. Question: Why are "numbered" territories treated differently? ...I feel like a Time Lord with the ability to choose any year in the Renaissance to launch an attack, anywhere in Europe. Then switch it around again.
1. Answer: Thanks for the quoted illumination Awsum, quite correct. Historical accuracy is still in part achieved by having the 'default on' even though it's pot luck. My reasoning is to provide as much variation in these battles as possible but at the same time have other territories where the both opponents get to use the armies of the territories you own.
2. Although officially we are not starting until November there is the opportunity to have extra time in the first month by lodging challenges earlier [there is no obligation to start until November unless you agree.
3. Challenges for unowned territories will only be posted when either I've received all these or the 1st Friday in November, which ever comes first.
4. Question: If I lose 3 challenges for Scotland in the first turn how do you decide which person has actually won it? I cannot see why I would accept more than one challenge for it, I have to win all the games in order to keep it.
4. Answer: One point of clarification when accepting more challenges in one turn results in the territory being 'safe' from subsequent challenges for a corresponding number of turns. The first challenge is the result for ownership, subsequent challenges accepted and won add that many turns to the territory's "immunity from challenges next month".
5. Question: Do you have to accept only one challenge each turn no matter how many territories you own? Or do you have to accept only one challenge for each territory you own that at least one person challenges you for?
5. Answer: There is an obligation to accept only one challenge each turn.

Hope this information helps alleviate any confusion.

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”