War for Europe and the Near East Campaign

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

Dilly
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: War for Europe and the Near East Campaign

Post by Dilly » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:51 am

I would also like to challenge GDod for Portugal, the weather is getting a little cold for me up here in the North, so I would like a fortnight on the Algarve please
P/W Dutch

I wanted to do this in the sort of 1680s-90s Dutch v Portugal, but couldn't seem to set it up, so my Irish warriors are going to have to fight with sunburn

youngr
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by youngr » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:51 pm

GDod wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:50 am
Denmark challenges Sweden for the territory of Norway

Game set up for Kiwi

Cheers
Richard
I think Richard will need to reissue challenge to waterhead1985, as the King of Sweden "The Lion Cub of the North". Clearly the King of Poland, KiwiLordski, has a striking resemblance to the King of Sweden. Do you both shop at Kings-R-Us ? I'll pm Richard :)
Probably my fault. Waterhead picked up the game anyway. Hopefully, I'll find time to play the game out!

GDod
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by GDod » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:42 am

KiwiWarlord wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:43 am
GDod wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:37 am
What would you like to fight Pole, or my Moroccans while I still have them? :roll:
Who sets it up ?
If you, go for it, pw potato
I'll set it up pronto, hopefully I'll catch up on the history this weekend....

GDod

Post by GDod » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:45 am

Dilly wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:48 am
The Moroccans defeat the English army in Ireland mistake by GDod giving me the English invaders instaed of an Irish army to fight with, I have put another challenge up for the Moroccans if that is ok ?
P/W Ireland
All good Dilly....we'll try again and, at the same time, hopefully try to defend the Portuguese possession from your marauding Irish fanatics

GDod

Post by GDod » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:30 am

The European, North African and Near Eastern Gazette
Claims to unowned territories and homeland challenges continue to be received at this office. 10/11 Kingdoms have submitted papers in triplicate to this newsroom filing outrageous unjustified claims to independent lands. Local landowners throughout europe, the Near East and Africa report widespread panic. Alfonso de Alac'a'Name when interviewed in his home village of Wareizit in Slovakia stated Som strach, pretože moje vznášadlo je plné úhorov, which roughly translates to "I'm scared because now my hoover thing is full of eels!"
In breaking news:-

Call to Arms in the British Isles
The King of Scotland issued a challenge to the King of England to advance his claim to the English throne. This claim was resoundingly rejected. The King of England accepted the challenge marching his hastily assembled entourage to the border. The continent still waits with anticipation...
Simultaneously, DillyO'Dilly King of Ireland challenged the King of Poland in a fit of Irish rage at his usurpation of the Polish throne, which in his mind belongs to his second brothers third uncle of their neighbour's Aunty Caoimhe in the village in County Wexford. O'Dilly claimed this morning, "...that jumped up Polak swineherd has no right to annex, confiscate, grab, impound, repossess, sequest, defalcate, embezzle, misapply, misappropriate, misuse, peculate, or thieve my friend's Aunty's birthright. Clearly, having swallowed a dictionary for breakfast this reporter later observed O'Dilly gathering in the gallowglas and kern, 'bonnachts' and the newly settled Scots, referring to them as those bar-legged mountain men - those 'Redshank' heathen for a farewell banquet of 108 different potato dishes and brimming vats of blinding Poitín. KiwiWarlordski, King of Poland, accepted the challenge It was reported that Europe was subsequently stunned by the inability of the Irish to stand in the field of battle without falling over drunk despite being capable of finding Poland after their drinking binge. However, this news was premature as though Poland continues to remain firmly Slavic the Irish are now their drunken overlords.
In other news, the Sultan of Morocco challenged O'Dilly Dilly a' diddley diddley due to being between a rock and a hard potato and having a bad case of Spanish flu back in Morocco. Finding the Irish indeed couldn't remember how firearms or pike work, he engaged what he thought was O'Dilly's Irish army. However, as it turned out it was a irate English tenant who had assembled men from his English possessions and willing Irish mercenaries. An astonished Sultan now faces O'Dilly's Irish army. Tired but buoyed from his defeat of the Anglo-Irish he now is attempting to take Ireland again. Meanwhile, not content with being soundly defeated by the Irish Poland declared war on the O'Dilly Irish homeland and an invasion force of Poles from the muster of 1618 - 1632 has now begun the long to the land of potatoes & fellow Catholic Brothers. Europe awaits in astonished disbelief whether O'Dilly will accept.

Call to Arms in Eastern Europe and Asia
The Tzardom of Russia under Mouse-e-Tungovich declared Uzbek Hetmanate part of the Tzarist Kingdom to monopolise the Sardine supply from the Kaspian. Unfortunately the The King of Sweden, now known widely in Russia as the "The Lion Cub of the North" has lost his claim to this valuable piece of real estate for their lutfisk production after being defeated battle despite forgetting to bring home armies with them. As such both sides were forced to purchase the services of some used mercenary companies lurking in the region by blind bidding at the bazaar. Russia got the better, a wall of Portuguese muskets versus a brave yet outdated army of Hussars and Panzerkampwagonschutzenpferden.
Uzbek and the sardine trade is now firmly in the Russia sphere of influence.
After the Poles under KiwiLordski successfully challenged the Grand Sultan bin Greeting44 for Turkey, Poland now declares war on Russia and an invasion force of Poles from the muster of 1618 - 1632 has begun the short journey to the land of sunflowers. Shocked by Polish greed, the Russian response was stunned silence. Europe waits in disbelief at the hasty mustering between Kiev and the Dneiper after their belated reply and the Irish skulduggery that sabotaged the Polish effort. the Polish Warlord now having to muster his forces from newly acquired territories outside the original Polish homeland. Meanwhile, the Sultan of Morocco had his eye on a nice piece of Polish horse flesh and challenged KiwiLordski for Poland, unaware that their homeland was overrun by the Irish. a disgruntled Sultan marching back to Morocco wonders whether his homeland will be their on his arrival back. Furthermore, Denmark has finally entered the fray by challenging Sweden for the territory of Norway.

Call to Arms in Western Europe and West Africa
Spain extended the Reconquista with the invasion of Morocco and claimed Portugal to be territories of the Spanish crown. His Serene Highness the Sultan of Morocco G bin Dodaziz accepted both challenges refuting these outrageous claims. The battle for Portugal saw mercenary Cornish-men under the now able commander the Earl of Monmouth defeat the Spanish Saxon mercenaries to gain Portugal for the sultan. Although, Portugal is now part of the sultan's stable, Europe still waits for the conclusion of the battle for Morocco with drooling anticipation.
Both the Sun King of France Aryaman Bourbon and Mad King William Felipe I of Spain claimed by right the Kingdom of Italy. The Bourbon king based his claim on a future assertion to the right to remarry Marie de' Medici in the event of his current wife's death, even though Felipe is currently married to the very same women. Europe continues to wait in nervous anticipation of a result
Meanwhile, the Grand Sultan of the Ottoman Empire clearly concerned for their Moroccan brother's poor performance against the infidel's Spanish invasion challenged Mad King Felipe I for the Spanish mainland, which is now once more under a Muslim ruler. All of Europe is shaking their heads in wonder at the success of the suntanned Sultan's audacious move.
Moreover, not only has both the Sultan of Morocco and the "The Lion of the North" laid claim to Austria but the Swedish King has also challenged the Sun King after tasting a rather fine bottle of Bordeaux and coveting the region. Monmouth's failure to arrive in Austria as a fully paid mercenary company required the disgruntled Sultan to employ Portuguese mercenaries from his new territory to pursue his claim against the Mad King and his mercenary army of hairy Scotsmen. Unfortunately, for the Sultan the Portuguese mercenaries hightailed it back to Portugal with a bad taste of kilt shock. Hence, the Mad King now has a new homeland and an imperial court for his nobles to prance around in their finery. Meanwhile, it's unsure whether the Sun King has risked the loss of his fine wine producing region. Europe waits. Moreover, buoyed by his recent success DillyO'Dilly King of Ireland has now challenged the Sultan of Morocco for his newly gained territory of Portugal, which was honourably accepted

Call to Arms in Central Europe
The Irishman Dilly O'Dilly and the Scotsman McAwsum of Glen Campbell challenged for Germany having an insatiable liking for bratwurst and München lager. Since both claim these delicious staples they continue to 'fight for the right'. Europe continues to wait and see which Gaelic expedition will win.

EUROPE IN TURMOIL - UPDATE 6 Showing challenges, and states that have succumbed to occupation or resolved player battles to date.
Europe Map.jpg
Europe Map.jpg (297.62 KiB) Viewed 170 times
Last edited by GDod on Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

youngr

Post by youngr » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:51 am

The epic battle for Norway between the Kingdoms of Denmark and Sweden is also underway....

Cheers
Richard

TheGrayMouser
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by TheGrayMouser » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:43 pm

KiwiWarlord wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:19 am
GD my Challenges for the 'owned territories' of Ireland & Russia have drawn no response as yet, have there been other challenges against these Homelands ?
If not don't they have to be accepted as no one else has challenged for their home territory ?
I want to make as much use as I can with the Poles before they become potato serfs.
Thanks
Sorry, with the patchy forum connectivity last week I missed the challenge, which of course is accepted. Please next time send a private message via pigeon or other suitable raptor :)

GDod

Post by GDod » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:57 pm

TheGrayMouser wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:43 pm
KiwiWarlord wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:19 am
GD my Challenges for the 'owned territories' of Ireland & Russia have drawn no response as yet, have there been other challenges against these Homelands ?
If not don't they have to be accepted as no one else has challenged for their home territory ?
I want to make as much use as I can with the Poles before they become potato serfs.
Thanks
Sorry, with the patchy forum connectivity last week I missed the challenge, which of course is accepted. Please next time send a private message via pigeon or other suitable raptor :)
Understandable, and Russia is a long way to travel from Morocco GM. Unfortunately, between pigeon mail being sent and arriving poor ole KiwLordski has lost his right to a Polish army to the Wiley wild Irish. However, I think he is mustering a pot luck army or Ottomans from his other possessions to wrestle Russia from you. We'll endeavor set up "pigeon express" stations in future to ensure this is a less frequent occurrence.

Map and storyline updated to here..............

KiwiWarlord
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by KiwiWarlord » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:02 am

TheGrayMouser wrote:
No problems re the missed challenge.
The rules state that Challenges must be posted here, I did not think about a pm as well.
So it is now Ottoman Turks invading Russia as my Poles are now planting potatoes.

The challenge army (using the O'Dilly Method ) is Ottoman Turks 1610-1617

Cheers
Brian

ahuyton
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by ahuyton » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:21 am

Moste glorious Majesty

Be it knowne that the Scots raiders, in their greate thousands, hath been defeated by yr Most Loyalle and humble servantes, the folkes of Berwick under mye mervoulse Command. We hath sent 100000 viperous Scots and their pawre horse to the fires of Hell.

Yr servant, Walsingham

--

And thanks to Andre for a nice game which was very close in fact as light horse and cavalry chased each other across the border lands.

GDod

Post by GDod » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:35 am

ahuyton wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:21 am
Moste glorious Majesty

Be it knowne that the Scots raiders, in their greate thousands, hath been defeated by yr Most Loyalle and humble servantes, the folkes of Berwick under mye mervoulse Command. We hath sent 100000 viperous Scots and their pawre horse to the fires of Hell.

Yr servant, Walsingham
Let the Moroccan Mole G bin Dodaziz be the first to congratulate the King of Every Angle on defeating the King of Scotland's claim to the English throne by trial of arms. May your beard grow long in the service of your folk. We hear McAwsum of Glen Campbell has migrated his people to the continent and beyond into the near east. Keeping sand from kilted dress will be the Scotsmen's new challenge :roll:

TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:39 pm

KiwiWarlord wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:02 am
TheGrayMouser wrote:
No problems re the missed challenge.
The rules state that Challenges must be posted here, I did not think about a pm as well.
So it is now Ottoman Turks invading Russia as my Poles are now planting potatoes.

Cheers
Brian

Ok, if I understand the rules i have set up a challenge with 1560-97 Russians ( I need to use Russia only, I have no choice) versus 1610-17 Ottos
medium size and potluck terrain

Password is : trilobite

I scrolled thru the armies on both sides filters on and off and bizzarily enough, there are no russian armies AFTER 1597 ( list above ) until the 1649-60 list in the xtra nations MOD.

If Im wrong let me know and Ill use a close one to your 1610-17 ottos ( the 1597 list is closest even though it'll be arquebuses versus muskets, gulp...)

KiwiWarlord
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by KiwiWarlord » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:58 pm

TheGrayMouser wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:39 pm

Ok, if I understand the rules i have set up a challenge with 1560-97 Russians ( I need to use Russia only, I have no choice) versus 1610-17 Ottos

I scrolled thru the armies on both sides filters on and off and bizzarily enough, there are no russian armies AFTER 1597 ( list above ) until the 1649-60 list in the xtra nations MOD.

If Im wrong let me know and Ill use a close one to your 1610-17 ottos ( the 1597 list is closest even though it'll be arquebuses versus muskets, gulp...)
Yes that is correct as the Rules state TGM, that's the O'Dilly Method, you scroll through until you find the most advantageous match-up.

The Rules can be manipulated by using the O'Dilly Method. I used this set-up to show how it works and for others to be careful.

I am all for a fair and square game so please dump that Challenge and set up the game where we will both have muskets or both have Arquebus.
The 1560 - 1609 turks 1560-1597 Russians maybe ?

Cheers
Brian

GDod

Post by GDod » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:05 pm

KiwiWarlord wrote:

TGM replied
I scrolled thru the armies on both sides filters on and off and bizzarily enough, there are no russian armies AFTER 1597 ( list above ) until the 1649-60 list in the xtra nations MOD. If Im wrong let me know and Ill use a close one to your 1610-17 ottos ( the 1597 list is closest even though it'll be arquebuses versus muskets, gulp...)
I'm not going to put a stop to this method of challenges as players have the right to refuse because they only need to accept one challenge per month [and they can wait over this time for another challenge, which is very likely] But I need to address the need for an honorable balanced challenge as the "right choice" for players.

I would like everyone's opinion on this proposed new rule without making any judgements on players using this method. [As it seems a logical tactic to maximize your chances]

New challenges: I'd like to include a honour points systems whereby each player starts with 10 honour points. For each challenge where there are armies available within the time period but the challenger chooses an option, which requires the filter to be turned off, one honour point will be lost. If the player accepts this challenge and wins they will gain one honour point.

Victory conditions remain 10 territories but
a) a winner with honour points below 10 cannot claim the title of "Holy". They can only claim the title as the "New Roman Emperor."
b) the player with the highest honour points can claim the title of "The Just" in their Kingly name for any future campaign

TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:07 pm

KiwiWarlord wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:58 pm
TheGrayMouser wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:39 pm

Yes that is correct as the Rules state TGM, that's the O'Dilly Method, you scroll through until you find the most advantageous match-up.

The Rules can be manipulated by using the O'Dilly Method. I used this set-up to show how it works and for others to be careful.

I am all for a fair and square game so please dump that Challenge and set up the game where we will both have muskets or both have Arquebus.
The 1560 - 1609 turks 1560-1597 Russians maybe ?

Cheers
Brian

Oops, that was not meant to be a complaint over fairness, it was just surprise that the mod didnt have other lists ( and also making sure I wasnt being daft and not being able to find the list)

I am ok with it as is, the Russian were likley a little backwards anyhow. Also, arquebusiers will be cheaper so there will be more grunts on the ground so its likely not as much a disadvantage at first glance . I'll leave it up to you as the challenger if to chose another army if you like , cheers!

TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:09 pm

GDod wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:05 pm
KiwiWarlord wrote:

TGM replied
I scrolled thru the armies on both sides filters on and off and bizzarily enough, there are no russian armies AFTER 1597 ( list above ) until the 1649-60 list in the xtra nations MOD. If Im wrong let me know and Ill use a close one to your 1610-17 ottos ( the 1597 list is closest even though it'll be arquebuses versus muskets, gulp...)
I'm not going to put a stop to this method of challenges as players have the right to refuse because they only need to accept one challenge per month [and they can wait over this time for another challenge, which is very likely] But I need to address the need for an honorable balanced challenge as the "right choice" for players.

I would like everyone's opinion on this proposed new rule without making any judgements on players using this method. [As it seems a logical tactic to maximize your chances]

New challenges: I'd like to include a honour points systems whereby each player starts with 10 honour points. For each challenge where there are armies available within the time period but the challenger chooses an option, which requires the filter to be turned off, one honour point will be lost. If the player accepts this challenge and wins they will gain one honour point.

Victory conditions remain 10 territories but
a) a winner with honour points below 10 cannot claim the title of "Holy". They can only claim the title as the "New Roman Emperor."
b) the player with the highest honour points can claim the title of "The Just" in their Kingly name for any future campaign

Arhhgg, I wasnt complianing about the rule, just couldnt find what (suprisingly) wasnt there and wanted to make sure i got it right.

GDod

Post by GDod » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Arhhgg, I wasnt complianing about the rule, just couldnt find what (suprisingly) wasnt there and wanted to make sure i got it right.
I understand GM, but I've observed a trend that everyone has access to, and will increasingly use [it's a no-brainer, every advantage helps]. This will effect games and is contrary to my intention for the rule, which states "All matches use extra nations V3 and filter must be on where possible, otherwise closest time period match." In your case this means that

With the filter on:-

Russian 1494-1549 vs Ottoman 1494-1559 is available
Russian 1560-1597 vs Ottoman 1560-1609 is also available

I realize that my wording
The owner of the territory being challenged must use an army list from this territory, but the challenger can use any list from territories they own.
is vague when considering with the above rule. I think my recommendation is hastily-considered and overly judgmental, so I think this change will make thing much clearer "All matches and challenges use extra nations V3 and filter must be on where possible, otherwise closest time period match."

But I do like the idea that players can earn the title "The Just" :D So, even if you don't gain the title "Holy Roman Emperor Reborn" for this and future campaigns you can accumulate Honor points. Each player starts with 10. If the player accepts more than one challenge per month they will gain one honor point. All players with honor points of 15 and above gain the player the title of “The Just” in all future campaigns

GDod

Post by GDod » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:05 pm

EUROPE IN TURMOIL - UPDATE 7 Showing rule clarification on challenges and additional points system for gaining the first unique GDod campaign cumulative player titles
Europe Map.jpg
Europe Map.jpg (314.48 KiB) Viewed 68 times

awesum4
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by awesum4 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:14 pm

Gavin,

I'm finding it rather confusing to work out what's going on. I think being able to challenge multiple times in a turn and being able to accept multiple challenges in a turn is becoming a mess.
If a player accepts 2 challenges and loses the first surely the 2nd battle becomes irrelevant. If he wins the first and loses the 2nd at what point does ownership of his territory change?
Going into a 2nd campaign move before the first is complete is going to make it even more confusing.
I am all for having lots of games ( I normally have 6 on the go), but I feel this is getting out of control.
I would rather we stick to the original timeframe. We can start round 2 earlier if all the round 1 games are finished.

GDod

Post by GDod » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:31 pm

awesum4 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:14 pm
Gavin,

I'm finding it rather confusing to work out what's going on. I think being able to challenge multiple times in a turn and being able to accept multiple challenges in a turn is becoming a mess.
If a player accepts 2 challenges and loses the first surely the 2nd battle becomes irrelevant. If he wins the first and loses the 2nd at what point does ownership of his territory change?
Going into a 2nd campaign move before the first is complete is going to make it even more confusing.
I am all for having lots of games ( I normally have 6 on the go), but I feel this is getting out of control.
I would rather we stick to the original timeframe. We can start round 2 earlier if all the round 1 games are finished.
It would be advisable that players accept one challenge for owned territories at a time and decline others until that game is resolved. Subsequent challenges for this territory can then be issued during the month after the updated map has been posted and depending on who is now in ownership. Unowned territories are not a problem as I can schedule the games by random draw if more than two claim them within the month [not an issue at present].

Problems may occur when multiple challenges are accepted simultaneously. It's natural not to turn down game challenges but please resist the urge to accept multiple challenges until the updated maps are posted. But I agree, round two challenges are on hold until all round 1 games are completed. Does this help Andre?

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”