Gribol

German winners

Gdod
GentlemanRanker

Still to be decided

Kiwiwarlord (Captain) v Marl_Boroman
Dang v Snooky51
Warrior230 v Cromlechi

As usual, please let me know if I have confused things or forgotten any completed games.
snooky51
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Landsknechts and Prussians - Round Two

Post by snooky51 »

My Fellow Poles!

Rejoice! Our Commonwealth has been defended and the German dog has been driven from the field. It was a miraculous victory as many of our previously routed men regained their zeal for their homeland and rallied to rejoin the fight. I can attest to whole companies of German prisoners in our control renounced their heretical ways and pleaded to rejoin the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church, upon seeing such a sight.

Our cavalry harassed Prince-Elector Dang's mighty infantry blocks until he was forced to go on the offensive. He is wiley, this German, as his breakout maneuvers nearly broke my whole army. But by the Grace of God, we regained our fighting spirit and charged at the flanks and rears of his units until victory could finally be achieved.

Final score: 60-52
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

snooky51 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:22 pm
Our cavalry harassed Prince-Elector Dang's mighty infantry blocks until he was forced to go on the offensive. He is wiley, this German, as his breakout maneuvers nearly broke my whole army. But by the Grace of God, we regained our fighting spirit and charged at the flanks and rears of his units until victory could finally be achieved.
Final score: 60-52
No worries you wily Deutsche Fox, Prince Elector Dang, your masterful breakout manoeuvres will be greatly appreciated by our Huguenot Allies very soon.
I am assured the Huguenots are very good at protecting Deutsche rears.............
awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by awesum4 »

Here I post Dang (Tilman) report on his round 2 battle, its a classic of military reporting:

AAAAAhhhrrgg

Gdzie Znaiduice Warszawa??

Oh, fellow Germans here. Oh, well then. We have to admit, having those excellent Potatoes we found made into Vodka during the Battle might have had unplanned side effects...

We lead from Turn 3 most of the time with a comfortable 2 digit margin over those unholy Poles led by the sneeky snooky.

He committed several mistakes, like attacking my Musketeers in the village with his light horse and faltering under the inevitable counterattack of my heavy foot, then he sent in the few Haiducks and Light guns he brought (but initially hid behind hills, the coward) to shoot my foot up. We attacked and routed them without mercy in hand to hand and without leaving a man standing. Poles 3 light horse and 3 Haiducks and 2 light guns down, Germans no losses worth counting (who counts lost outdated Gentlemenlancers?).

We approached along the line and routed those puny horsemen where they made a stand. We where leading with 17 %, 35 % losses on us (some Gentlemen Noble Lancers and mounted Arkebusiers had not quite been up to their task of disposing of their opposite Numbers, we found that despite decent factors the mounted Arquebussiers invariably lost their firefights against single enemy light horse, then got attacked and killed) and 53 % losses on the Polish. The poles also had no less than 5 of their remaining Units fragmented and we had a clear field of fire on them.
I felt comfortable nipping on my Potato Vodka in that cellar I pitched my HQ in and left the rest of the battle to my capable trusted Lefthanand.

What happened from then was reported by my dutiful Lefthanand when he woke me up.

Desaster first struck when the only disrupted (from canon fire) heavy foot we had was struck in the side by a Polish Hussar unit on its Pursuit path behind some broken Gentlemen Lancers of ours. Why their path took them across behind my line instead of due back where there was a void, nobody can tell. In any case the foot unit broke in turn 1 leaving a hole in our line we could not plug any more, all our units being in battle by that time (the polish outnumbered ours by units, as our units where 1000 to 2000 strong against their 250 to 500 on average Horsemen and medium foot).
The Breakthrough would have been of little consequence but now all our victorious units decided to stick with their fleeing opponents and pursued for bounds, ripping my box formation apart and dividing Horse and foot. This gave some of the Poles options for flank attacks which they duly performed and broke some more German units until only 2 German units on Horses where left.
We now concentrated our remaining forces and tried to shoot their fragmented units up for an instant win. None of the Poles broke. But our lead Tercio following up his fragmented light horse got disrupted by the counterfire of some of his non fragmented dragoons from the flanks. My Leutnant moved up more heavy foot to zoc those lights lest they attack they Tercio, it was still good. Now the lead tercio fragmented under the next salvo (still 1600 out of 2000 strong). The fragmented light horse in front of this tercio rallied before the polish next turn (after bounds of being shot at) to disrupted. Boldly the Poles charged. 150 disrupted light horse into the face of 1600 (albeit fragmented) Musketeers and lancers with both flanks secured by friends.... Now the miracle happened, the Tercio broke, its friends that guarded its flanks disrupted....

My Lefthenand prayed, but also got a Polish Dictionary for possible future use at that time.

The next 3 turns we broke the remaining poles that already where in Melee or directly in front of my foot, but now no less than 8 polish units (in 3 turns)that where fleeing rallied. And rallied like 10 squares away from our units, so no chance to hit them.
It was like fighting an army of ghools, for every Polish unit we killed, one resurrected from the dead.
The polish loss count stayed at 52 to 53% for about
5 bounds in a row. we broke one, one rallied somewhere.
The total count now was 8 polish units rallied, 0 Germans. We where both at 53 % losses now.

My lefthanand started looking for a polish wife.

At that time the junior Commander of my musketeers, sheltered safely in a village made the fatal mistake to leave cover to get a better shot at one of the remaining fragmented Poles in the vicinity. Of course the pole did not break. But one of the stray other poles attacked and instead of evading back into shelter this fool stood and of course the Poles soon flanked it with a spare Hussar (who could do nothing against my Tercios) and killed the Musketeers. why, oh why did the only Unit on the Battlefield with range 4 got out of cover to take a better shot at some supposedly fragmented Poles. Oh, them are tricky and treacherous them Poles. If I ever get this junior Officer of theirs I will have him decimated!

Our foot marched to get his Fragmented units under fire, we broke one. One of our units rallied to fragmented. Germans 47 to poles 53 % losses.

My Lefthanand ditched his Polish Girlfriend.

Now the commander of one of the German light foot Arkebusier units, safely placed in a brush, got attacked by an enemy light horse, he could have easily held off. Instead he decided to evade (must have been the alter ego of the musketeer Captain who did not evade when it would have been wise). Of course he got hit in the back and slaughtered.

Next turn we killed one of the fragmented polish units by some pike and shot I could muster, but now the constant fire by the remaining polish lights took a toll and we suffered some more disruptions on our heavy foot. Our last Curassier charged an enemy fragmented in the back hoping that it might break, but the target happy evaded, next the curassiers flung themselfes into Hussars whom they failed to disrupt for 4 bounds of melee despite good chances (evading disruption in the first turn) until one of the resurected poles lumbered by, now disrupted, charged him in the flank and broke him.

My Lefthanand found a polish wife amongst the villagers and successfully hid under her skirts.

Next turn some remaining Hussars charged in and broke 2 disrupted Tercios of mine. None of his fragmented broke under my fire.

60 % losses on the Germans, 52 % losses on the Poles.

Snooky got an instant enshrinement in Polish Churches and is in line to be the next polish Saints for the Miracles the troops under his command performed.

My Lefthanand adopted me, we now speak polish usually and run a successful Vodka distillery.

Bison Vodkha anybody?

Nastharofje!

(after this nervwrecking experience please count me out from the remaining competition, I am ok to loose, but not against the Computer deciding the game on his own).

Cheerioh

Tilman te Dang
not commanding anybody any more,
not a Governor, not a Visitator of Schneidmuehl,
wet like a cat, slightly dozed
TheGrumpyDoge
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by TheGrumpyDoge »

lmao Tillman love the report. If you are to drop from the competition maybe I can pick up your spot? It is I ... The GrumpyDoge of Richmond :P

Been offline for a few years, but back now.

Josh
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

TheGrumpyDoge wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:31 am lmao Tillman love the report. If you are to drop from the competition maybe I can pick up your spot? It is I ... The GrumpyDoge of Richmond :P
Been offline for a few years, but back now.
Josh
You are most welcome to join us Prussians GD of Richmond. (assuming Dang has left us after suffering serious wounds in his last battle )
I look forward to reading your reports of Victory and bestowing Iron Crosses upon you.
I suggest you get your Pickelhelm strapped firmly to your head and lead the Huguenots on a campaign or two as we Prussians have been asked to support them in their forthcoming conflict against the Austrian Imperialists next month.

KiwiWarlord
ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ahuyton »

Good news that TheGreyDoge will join us and replace Dang. Welcome!

As far as I can tell, we are still waiting for results from two games:

Kiwiwarlord (Captain) v Marl_Boroman
Warrior230 v Cromlechi

So that we do not lose momentum, I propose that we start Round 3 on 1 May. I will post the match-ups later.
Marl_Boroman
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Marl_Boroman »

Marl_Boroman (Poland) wins against KiwiWarlord (Germany) by 66:47.

It was hard, bloody and long time indecisive battle.

Poles this time did not put all their faith in their fearsome winged hussars, their forces, throug still relying heavy on light cavalry, resembled in many way their german counterparts: cossacks matched arquebusiers and plentyful haiduks close order formations.

As sun rised upon the battlefield, german troops quickly found themselves in good, hilly, defensive position - two hills separated by small swamp, larger and lower anchored cavalry and foot, smaller and higher with steep slopes hosted battery of guns and light arquebusiers, all hidden from polish canons behind large forrest.

Disciplined germands refused to take the bait and meet poles in the more open ground and, because skirmishers of both sides were locked in fire exchange, we have deployed cavalry in double line and got ready to attack against the hill. There was no time to spare and wait for haiduks to catch up with horses - very well positioned enemy battery bombarding our flank was causing severe casualities and disruptions.

We advanced on all fronts. Quick fire exchanged favoured mainly Poles and then we charged weakened enemy. Right wing, attacking against steep hill, got quickly locked. Hussar, our only unit of them which was not hit by artilery fire, lead the attack and for the most of battle were locked in narrow spot againts enemy arquebuses - not the beakthroug I hoped for, but at least they screened for canons, silencing them for a moment. Center, the mostly disrupted by canon fire, was not in shape to win on their own, so they served as protection for right flanks unprotected rear and quickly it was clear that without reinforcement they will collaps. Left, positioned by the forest, was making most of it. Light guns managed to disrupt enemy pike and shot and slow advance was in the menu for today.

Battle prgressed, troops were becoming tired and causalities mounted. Hussars, on my left wing, got carried away, tried to get behind enemy line but were locked by german keil and in one or so turn obliterated, which was good time for enemy to countercharge. In doing so, however, unwashed mass of peasant rolled out of their hdning in the forest, in which they were lurking for most of the battle so far, and drove enemy back. Chaos that came with them tied down good chunk of enemy army, which was the most useful thing to do, because by this time my weakened center collapsed. Several units were routed by one charge of kuraissers and I was certain I have met my doom. But, by the heavens, the pursuing horses stoped right in front of haiduks, which finally made their way into the battle. Massive volleys turned pursuit into rout and fresh men quickly tore apart anything that came into their path in deadly crossfire.

German horses on the right succumbed to hussars and fled for their life, untrained mob on the left was able to circle and flank germans and remaining tercios in the centre found themselves surrounded by loose enemy formation; germans had to accept the battle was done and guns went silent - to the relief of both sides.

Thanks KiwiWarlord for exiting match!
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Brilliant report of our battle MB. Those peasant mobs of Polish riff raff deserve to be well rewarded with barrels of Zubrowka Vodka :lol:
warrior230
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by warrior230 »

Another Germen defeat! 53-61

Well, it was always going to be difficult, but after a very hard fought, and close engagement against the mighty Cromlechi (from the land of the dragon), the poles just about managed to get over the line! It was a close battle, and could have gone either way right up to the last turn. A very large and ferocious cavalry clash on our right flank yielded faverable results against the dreaded Polish wings, but unfortunately left us little capability to adequately support our heavy foot making up most of our centre. Dispite the German brave and valliant determination, another heavy foot unit broke, and tipped us over the edge!
Dispite the result, it was a most enjoyable game, and we offer congratulations to Cromlechi, and thanks for a well fought and exciting game.

We now go to drown our sorrows, and pay respect to our heroic dead!
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

warrior230 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:36 am Another Germen defeat! 53-61
You did well against those dreaded Poles Warrior230, you are still a mainstay of the Prussians.
There is a Huguenot army awaiting your leadership skills to bring Victory against the Austrian Imperialists this very next month.
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Well done to both Marlboro-man and Cromlechi leading valiant Poles against the mighty evil Empire.

Onwards to even greater victories in the next round.

As all the battles are complete can we start the next round early?
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

I'd be happy to start now.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

Yes, I think we are done here with Round Two, and it a resounding victory for the Poles. The Emperor in Wien sends his thanks to all the Sigismunds who crushed the German pretenders.

Next, the Protestants in France join the fun as the Huguenots challenge the Hapsburg dominance.

Polish winners

Snugglebunnies
Awesum4
Gribol
Snooky51
Marl_Boroman
Cromlechi

German winners

Gdod
GentlemanRanker

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”