7 Years War - Round 2, Kesselsdorf 1745

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

7 Years War - Round 2, Kesselsdorf 1745

Post by ahuyton »

So good luck to all, and I will be interested to hear in the battle reports how each side approached this very interesting scenario.

Here are the match-ups. I leave it to you to set-up as you see fit.

Awesum4 (Prussian) v Cromlechi (Austrian)
Dang (Prussian) v Tomoegozen (Austrian)
Snooky51 (Prussian) v Marl-Boroman (Austrian)
SMJohnso77 (Prussian) v Gdod (Austrian)
TomoeGozen
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: 7 Years War - Round 2, Kesselsdorf 1745

Post by TomoeGozen »

My game vs Dang has been created , password 'Round2' , pm on its way.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Gdod (Austrian) has challenged King George's stand-in SMJohnso77 (Prussian) now that the English monarch refuses to take the field again after Dettingen citing "...he only turned up then because he thought it was Eddington! and it was perfectly ghastly as he was late back for dinner and didn't have time to change."
PW =GDod
Last edited by GDod on Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by awesum4 »

Challenge created for the noble Cromlechi.....password round2
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Gdod (Austrian) challenge for King George's stand-in SMJohnso77 (Prussian) has gone unanswered for some time now. Is there any stray Prussian wanting to fill in for him against an easy victim...I mean a mediocre commander with a rudimentary understanding of how to walk forward without tripping up too often?
PrussianswhatPrussians.jpg
PrussianswhatPrussians.jpg (26.08 KiB) Viewed 6383 times
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

GDod wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:01 am Gdod (Austrian) challenge for King George's stand-in SMJohnso77 (Prussian) has gone unanswered for some time now. Is there any stray Prussian wanting to fill in for him against an easy victim...I mean a mediocre commander with a rudimentary understanding of how to walk forward without tripping up too often?
Gavin, wake up my Friend, SMJ77 has posted Kesselsdorf 1745 pw is Gdod. He is awaiting you is He not ?
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

KiwiWarlord wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:59 am Gavin, wake up my Friend, SMJ77 has posted Kesselsdorf 1745 pw is Gdod. He is awaiting you is He not ?
All sorted now...
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

KiwiWarlord wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:59 am He is awaiting you is He not ?
Me thinks he's played this game before once or twice... times a billion! I conceded!
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Well played SMJ.....I presume you attacked hard and fast and smashed your way through his centre.

Gavin...I feel this battle does favour the Prussians as long as they act like Prussians and steamroll the Austrians quickly before they can bring up their mass of troops strung out miles from the point of contact
Marl_Boroman
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Marl_Boroman »

Marl_Boroman wins against Snooky51 by 61:44

Thrilling match, to be sure, came to an end when Prussian left flank succumbed to assembled Austrian forces and attackers were pushed back from the city, after brutal fight for literally every street.

It´s fair to mention, that main factor in Saxon victory was, IMO, disruption of one prussian unit during first turn. Perhaps lucky bullet found her way into regimental commander, but this coincidence caused prussian attack to be countecharded, thus buying time for Austrians to get into battle.
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Awesum4 wins against Cromlechi, 9% to 45%.

I've played this several times and so knew what to do, whereas my opponent was playing it for the first time.
Massed cavalry attack on the extreme right was mutual destruction for both sides, but I was happy to swap units.
I slowly reduced the defenders of Kessledorf, combining artillery with 3 units of foot against each of his corner units, when he disrupted mine I could pull them back whereas his had to stay and defend.
My left wing headed towards my centre then formed a defensive line against his troops as they arrived, apart from 2 dragoons who advanced then skirmished with his right wing. As he didn't know where my troops were he chased the dragoons with about 6 units without catching them.
My main attack went in between Kesseldorf and Zolman and I just kept pushing and shooting until he was totally overwhelmed and his army broke.
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

It is a terrific scenario and gives many tactical choices. Thanks for posting the game reports.

What is the news from the two other games? Gdod/Steve?

Tomoegozen/Dang - is your game going ahead please? I don't know if Dang has dropped out of this event as well.
TomoeGozen

Post by TomoeGozen »

I was sure a report of my battle with dang had been posted somewhere...
In summary, dang's sneaky Prussians won , the Saxons somewhat lost and confused in the fog were unable to concentrate enough forces quickly enough to stop the Prussian blitzkrieg.
I think this scenario benefits from having played it before :lol:
ahuyton

Post by ahuyton »

Thanks everyone, so Round 2 is then finished:

Prussian wins for Awesum4, Dang and SMJohns77 with a heroic Austrian stand from Marl_Boroman.

On to Round 3.
snooky51
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by snooky51 »

Marl_Boroman wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:47 pm Marl_Boroman wins against Snooky51 by 61:44

Thrilling match, to be sure, came to an end when Prussian left flank succumbed to assembled Austrian forces and attackers were pushed back from the city, after brutal fight for literally every street.

It´s fair to mention, that main factor in Saxon victory was, IMO, disruption of one prussian unit during first turn. Perhaps lucky bullet found her way into regimental commander, but this coincidence caused prussian attack to be countecharded, thus buying time for Austrians to get into battle.
I can attest that the success in those early volleys (don't forget the disruption you got in the next turn) delayed my center's advance by two turns at least and therefore after shattering the Austrian center they were as many turns too late getting to reinforce my battered flank. Looking back I should have pulled my entire left flank back (not just some of the flank) much farther and sooner and bought myself time to finish my work elsewhere. But hindsight is 20/20.

There is no shame in losing to a formidable and skilled opponent. Well played Field Marshal Marl_Boroman.

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”