War for Europe and the Near East Campaign

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

War for Europe and the Near East Campaign

Post by GDod »

Anyone interested? Planned commencement 1st November. Campaign format designed so it means only one game obligation a month and you get to use a whole range of army lists. If the format is successful, later we could even run teams. It's got to be fun! I'll update map once a month with your pretty spreading colour! Just choose a colour and starting territory, [first come first choice] and from 1st November lodge a challenge on this thread... comments welcome
Europe_Map.jpg
Europe_Map.jpg (156.49 KiB) Viewed 5035 times
awesum4
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: War for Europe and the Near East Campaign

Post by awesum4 »

Just to get this straight. The armies don't have to be from the same time period? If I own territory in Germany and England and I challenge the guy in Sweden he must use a Swedish army from any period and I then choose an English or German army from any period of my choosing?
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

Oh and I bags Scotland on the grounds that my ancestors were good Dutch Protestants and I want to play a race that is even more frugal and has an even crappier climate, and has some real hills to defend
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

awesum4 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:29 am Just to get this straight. The armies don't have to be from the same time period? If I own territory in Germany and England and I challenge the guy in Sweden he must use a Swedish army from any period and I then choose an English or German army from any period of my choosing?
Yes [See reply to snuggles concern TBC], except challenger posts challenge on thread first [hence army he's challenging with], then owner accepts with his choice and posts game with terrain agricultural [TBC]. sound good? Two players on board!
Europe_Map.jpg
Europe_Map.jpg (210.9 KiB) Viewed 5001 times
Last edited by GDod on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

You might want to figure out rules around time period, otherwise whoever issues a challenge could get themselves an advantage, by figuring out which time period would give their opponent the worst army list.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
awesum4

Post by awesum4 »

The words "pot luck" appear in the rules in a way that made me think they applied to army choice......but your last reply makes me think it applies to terrain. Can you clarify this please?
I hate pot luck terrain getting the wrong terrain kills battles completely sometimes. In this campaign you could end up with impassable mountains that cover 80% of the battlefield out in the Russian steppes, or an almost empty battlefield in Switzerland.

Also what's to stop a person challenging for every unowned territory on the first turn and gaining 9 because no one else challenged for them and winning immediately? I suggest you can only challenge for one unowned territory per turn.
Dilly
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Dilly »

If Ireland is still available I'll have her
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:21 pm You might want to figure out rules around time period, otherwise whoever issues a challenge could get themselves an advantage, by figuring out which time period would give their opponent the worst army list.
Fair point snuggles... I toyed with the idea of only using 30 years war or ECW but I wanted to give people a wide variety of choices as possible. But I see your point, shall we say the filter must be on when possible otherwise closest time period possible?
As to Andre's points, shall we say:-

1. agricultural terrain only?
2. Challenges limited to two per month for unowned territories [I'm sure other players will soon put a stop to a single player collecting territories in this way fairly quickly by challenging for them the following turn] [also I'll amend "... to win = 10 territories including 3 named territories" to 10 territories and 3 "pre-owned named territories"]

Feedback please before I confirm amendments.
Last edited by GDod on Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Dilly wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:54 pm If Ireland is still available I'll have her
Irelands all yours Dilly
Europe_Map.jpg
Europe_Map.jpg (223.62 KiB) Viewed 4794 times
MAP WITH SUGGESTED AMENDMENTS from issues raised by SNUGGLES AND ANDRE
Last edited by GDod on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

awesum4 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:19 pm The words "pot luck" appear in the rules in a way that made me think they applied to army choice......but your last reply makes me think it applies to terrain. Can you clarify this please?
I hate pot luck terrain getting the wrong terrain kills battles completely sometimes. In this campaign you could end up with impassable mountains that cover 80% of the battlefield out in the Russian steppes, or an almost empty battlefield in Switzerland.

Also what's to stop a person challenging for every unowned territory on the first turn and gaining 9 because no one else challenged for them and winning immediately? I suggest you can only challenge for one unowned territory per turn.
the intention was that it applies to army choice Andre. See suggested amendment to terrain choice [ie: restricting terrain to agricultural only]
Dilly
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Dilly »

Hi Guys
I respectfully disagree with using the standard of agricultural terrain, as doing so will hand the person who is doing the challenging and setting up the battle too much of an advantage
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Question: is this using Pauls MOD?

Either way, I'm in, Ill take Russia!
Greetings44
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Greetings44 »

I'll have Turkey. I'm up for random terrain.
ahuyton
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by ahuyton »

It sounds like fun.

I don't know if there are 'killer armies' that people might go for and thus dominate by getting in their challenges first. Let's have some sort of gentleman's agreement on that (rather than a complicated rule which requires monitoring).

My preference is for pot luck terrain but I don't really mind.

Not sure which army to take, again I don't mind too much. I'll see what's left at the end. But if you need me to choose now, then I will take England.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Dilly wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:46 am Hi Guys
I respectfully disagree with using the standard of agricultural terrain, as doing so will hand the person who is doing the challenging and setting up the battle too much of an advantage
The consensus seems to be for pot luck terrain . I think if someone chooses Irish for example, then they need the chance of rough terrain. I'll process the change, and add "...or by mutual agreement" If the draw is not what both combatants want, then I don't see the problem redrawing the terrain.
No killer armies Ahuyton, there are some that require careful handling but each have their advantages. I'll put you down for England Ahuyton but you can change anytime until 1st November.
Greetings Greetings44, you're welcome to the Ottomans and welcome to the world of renaissance warfare, a time of exciting transition in the art and technology of armed conflict.
TGM Russia's all yours [We're using extra nations:version 3]

PS If you're knocked out in the first three turns you may take another unowned territory [just so no-one is left out in the cold too early :)]
Map and rules updated
Europe_Map.jpg
Europe_Map.jpg (239.02 KiB) Viewed 4742 times
Gavin
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

I'll give Cossacks a shot...
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Welcome Snuggles...interesting choice and worthy of your reputation
Europe_Map.jpg
Europe_Map.jpg (241.81 KiB) Viewed 4705 times
w_michael
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by w_michael »

Let me see if I understand this. There are no geographical or chronological restrictions? I can challenge anyone else on the map and we can use any army list for our respective countries that we like, irrespective of time periods?

Does 2-Austria have access to the Imperial army lists, or Spain the Spanish-Imperial army lists?

Regardless of the above questions, please sign me up for Spain (Fru-Fru Pink if available).

P.S. Nice map!
William Michael, Pike & Shot Campaigns and Field of Glory II series enthusiast
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

w_michael wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:29 am Let me see if I understand this. There are no geographical or chronological restrictions? I can challenge anyone else on the map and we can use any army list for our respective countries that we like, irrespective of time periods?

Does 2-Austria have access to the Imperial army lists, or Spain the Spanish-Imperial army lists?

Regardless of the above questions, please sign me up for Spain (Fru-Fru Pink if available).

P.S. Nice map!
Map uses vectors, which means each territory is a separate vector that can be added to and over-written with any symbol, icon and image [very modular William - it's kept on PowerPoint and I just save changes in paint as a jpeg [this easily keeps it under the KB limit for slitherine threads]
As to your queries.:- You can challenge anyone regardless of geographical distance. All matches must have the filter on where possible, otherwise closest time period match. Terrain is pot luck if not chosen by mutual agreement. Austria does have access to imperial, Spain has access to Spanish imperial lists

See options below
Portugal includes Portuguese in Morocco
Russia has access to Georgian
Germany has access to Saxony , Swabian league, German peasants, Prussian and Imperial, but not Bavaria.
Ireland has access to Irish, Jacobite Irish and Anglo-Irish [as does England]
Ottomans have access to Turcomans and Dulkadir emirate
Scotland has access to Scottish and the following: Scots Covenanters, Scottish Border Reivers, Monmouth Rebellion, Jacobite Scottish
Austria has access to Imperial and Imperial in Africa
Hungary has access to Hungarian, Hungarian peasants and Transylvanian
England has access to English, British and the following: English Border Reivers, British Tangiers Garrison, Williamite in Scotland and Williamite in Ireland, Anglo-Irish
Persia has access Mamluk and Safavid Persian
Cossack only has access to Zaporozhian Cossack
Morocco only has access to Moroccan
Uzbek Hetmanate has access to Khanate of Kazan
Both Swiss and France have access to Savoyard
France also has access to Burgundian
Venice has access to Venetian in Africa
Swedish Protectorates have access to Swedish
Spain has access to Spanish and Spanish Imperial
Malbork has access to Teutonic Knights
Bavaria to Bavarian
Comments welcome. PS You'll notice I've added Austria for imperial [also available in Germany] and Imperial in Africa, Malbork for Teutonic knights, and Bavaria. [I've also deleted the duplicate Slovakia, which I mistakenly copied to the Baltic states]
Europe_Map.jpg
Europe_Map.jpg (248.05 KiB) Viewed 4677 times
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

I don’t see it noted anywhere but battle size? I would prefer medium as the mod we are using has many armies stuffed with cheap units and the unit count gets ridiculous. I have no interest in fighting say the Irish with 64 kerns spread from map edge to edge :)

Return to “Pike & Shot : Tournaments & Leagues”