What is "OoB Pacific"?

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

PoorOldSpike
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

What is "OoB Pacific"?

Post by PoorOldSpike » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:11 pm

Hi, I've bought all the DLC's for OoB including boxed upgrades and they run fine, and on the back of the boxes it says-
"..is an expansion of Order of Battle: Pacific and requires the base game to be played"
Here are all the current OoB titles below, and as you see, there's no 'OoB: Pacific' among them.
The nearest is 'OoB: US Pacific', is that the one they mean?
(I'm asking on behalf of myself and puzzled people in other internet forums)

kondi754
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: What is "OoB Pacific"?

Post by kondi754 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:34 pm

The game was initially released under the name "OoB: Pacific", later developers changed the name to "OoB:World War II", when they began to release DLCs taking place outside the Pacific.

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:12 am

Basically Order of Battle: Pacific, is US. Pacific and Rising Sun.

PoorOldSpike

Post by PoorOldSpike » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Thanks guys, and can you answer a very important question for me and other wargamers?-
If we buy a new computer in the future and want to install OOB on it, do we have to download the free 'World War II' first?
If the download is no longer available how can we install OOB then?

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:46 pm

Actually, everything was available for installing OOB for Mac or 32-bit/64-bit PC when 5.2.9 came out so I assume it's still up there. See what I wrote and print screened in this post: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 11#p706681
- Bru

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:56 pm

The latest full install version is 5.2.1.
It is available in the members area.
Then you need to run the 5.2.9 patch.

PoorOldSpike

Post by PoorOldSpike » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:46 am

I don't think I phrased my question well enough, let me try again-
Suppose in 5/10/15 years from now Slitherine is no longer in business, and the free 'World War II' base game download vanishes, how could we install and play OOB on our new computers in the future?

bru888

Post by bru888 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:37 pm

PoorOldSpike wrote:I don't think I phrased my question well enough, let me try again-
Suppose in 5/10/15 years from now Slitherine is no longer in business, and the free 'World War II' base game download vanishes, how could we install and play OOB on our new computers in the future?
Heh. Good question, Spike.

That is why you always keep the last base installation program, and the last patch of the version that you prefer, in storage someplace. Then, you hope that some future version of Windows or Mac doesn't just completely disregard running something that old. You end up going to the forum for help and discover that nobody has been around for years or the forum itself has disappeared.

That is the nature of computer games and it has been for as long as I have been playing them. With such joy must eventually come the tears.

But in the meantime, we are all still here and OOB seems to be progressing, blemishes and all. So for now, take another look at this schematic. If you play 32-bit OOB, you would currently be keeping the 2.4.8 PC 32-bit installer. If you play 64-bit OOB, you keep the 5.2.1 PC 64-bit installer. You also store the corresponding PC patch to get you up to 5.2.9. For Mac, it seems to be just the one file which does everything.
Capture630.jpg
Capture630.jpg (706.66 KiB) Viewed 577 times
- Bru

skerwick
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by skerwick » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:04 am

Let me just start off by saying that although these are fine games from which I've garnered a lot of entertainment, the installation, upgrade and other software issues are the poorest and probably the most incompetently handled I've seen in 20 years with the exception of Ubisoft products which are so concerned with anti-piracy issues that no one anywhere can play them.

I have paid for every one of your products, several of them twice, because the Panzerkrieg and 64 bit upgrades have buggered my installs up so badly that I had to reinstall time and time again, often after I'd lost the original install files or unlock codes. And to top things off, you've buggered this up so badly for me that each time I've tried to reinstall, particularly Blitzkried that I've lost more and more of my orginal working installs. Worst of all, your tech support postings are about as helpful as the small end of a toothpick whittled down to nothing. In short, although I'll forget the money you owe me as a result of these abortions, you ought to at least stand up like men and say "We've f**ked up on a monumental scale" and get to work on a global fix.

PoorOldSpike

Post by PoorOldSpike » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:24 am

skerwick wrote:...I had to reinstall time and time again, often after I'd lost the original install files or unlock codes..
You LOST them? Well no wonder you had trouble..;)

"Sloppy with your installs and codes mister!"

PoorOldSpike

Post by PoorOldSpike » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:02 am

bru888 wrote:..If you play 64-bit OOB, you keep the 5.2.1 PC 64-bit installer. You also store the corresponding PC patch to get you up to 5.2.9..
Okay I think I've got that, everythings working fine..:)
Just one more question- why is US Pacific sold by download only with no option to upgrade to box?

VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:02 am

I'm afraid there's no clear answer. Simple there has never been a box edition for Rising Sun and US Pacific.

PoorOldSpike

Post by PoorOldSpike » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:49 pm

VPaulus wrote:I'm afraid there's no clear answer. Simple there has never been a box edition for Rising Sun and US Pacific.
Hmm, if there's no clear answer it might put people off buying OOB.
Suggestion- the Panzer Corps devs have put all their scattered DLC's into the 'Panzer Corps Gold Edition' which contains them all, so it might be a good idea for the OOB bosses to do the same thing with the OOB DLC's and call it 'Order of Battle Gold Edition'.
It's strictly business..:)

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Tech Support”