OoB 64 black screen

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

bdoubled
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

OoB 64 black screen

Post by bdoubled »

Followed VPaulus' instructions to uninstall everything and install x64 version and have only black screen after choosing unmodded game. What am I doing wrong?
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: OoB 64 black screen

Post by bru888 »

bdoubled wrote:Followed VPaulus' instructions to uninstall everything and install x64 version and have only black screen after choosing unmodded game. What am I doing wrong?
From the thread next door (V5.2.2 Nukes DLCs):
Jon Kaminski wrote:I did as instructed and now the game only opens to a black screen. Did I miss a step?
VPaulus wrote:Delete the Settings folder at "Documents/My Games/Order of Battle - WW2".
That was in the instructions. It's worth a try (but it did not work for Mr. Kaminski, alas). Stay tuned to that thread and see if VPaulus comes up with anything else.
- Bru
steevodeevo
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by steevodeevo »

Maybe also have a look at this thread for screen resolution, just in case?

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... on#p690864
bdoubled

Post by bdoubled »

I followed VPaulus' instructions to the letter. I reinstalled everything once more per VPaulus' instructions. Checked the screen resolution, too. Same result - black screen. Is there a place to download 5.2.2? This is getting frustrating.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

bdoubled wrote:I followed VPaulus' instructions to the letter. I reinstalled everything once more per VPaulus' instructions. Checked the screen resolution, too. Same result - black screen. Is there a place to download 5.2.2? This is getting frustrating.
Did you go all the way through the thread that steevodeevo linked to? Plus, in that thread, adherbal linked to yet another thread which may be of help. Screen resolution was part of it but there were other steps taken and in both cases, happy endings were achieved.
- Bru
bdoubled

Post by bdoubled »

Latest video and audio drivers - check. Native screen res (1920x1080) - check. Followed ALL of vPaulus' instructions to the letter - check. Launched the game, got black screen again - check. At this point, I'm going back to the 32-bit version unless I can download the 5.2.2 fix manually and try installing that.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Well, that ultimately may be the best thing for now. I just checked recently for somebody else, and these tools are still available:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 64&t=80833

I believe the game will also auto-update to 5.2.2 in 32-bit mode; I think I read someone saying that.

Good luck, and sorry for the hassle. It may be that the best thing for the few people still having a problem is to go with 32-bit until a new 64-bit standalone installer is released for a future version. At that time, I would still do some of the things that VPaulus talks about in his instructions to wipe out all previous traces of OOB and start completely fresh, including re-installing all old DLC.
- Bru
V72

Post by V72 »

I applied the procedure described by "Bru888" and all scenarios work perfectly ...

For information I have a PC under "Windows Seven (64bits)", with 16Gb of ram, the disk C: \ is a SSD BUT OoB is installed on another disk" D: \Slitherine\OrderOfBattle\", the graphics card is a Radeon R9 Series 200 (4Gb) and everything works with a resolution of 1920x1080 !

The same procedure with an installation on the C:\Program Files\Slitherine\ (Samsung SSD) disk caused "black screens" and blocks regardless of the scenario used, maybe an IRQ or address range conflict ?!

Thank you all for your help !
Didier :mrgreen: .
FvG
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by FvG »

In my case the black window was caused by Bitdefender blocking a attempt to change a file in one of my protected folders. After I unblocked Order of Battle everything worked just fine!
FvG
bru888

Post by bru888 »

FvG wrote:In my case the black window was caused by Bitdefender blocking a attempt to change a file in one of my protected folders. After I unblocked Order of Battle everything worked just fine!
FvG
Thanks for reporting back, FvG. Many people would not bother to do so.

This is an example of why it is difficult in Tech Support. The mountain of hardware and software variability is mind-boggling to deal with and Tech Support cannot (easily) see into people's computers to locate and fix the problem.

The other consideration is time, effort, and resources which are limited. So, the best they can do is to look for numbers and trends; that is, are a significant number of people having the same problem? Can it be replicated in a general manner across a variety of equipment? Then that is what they need to devote their limited resources to resolving.

I am sure that I am not just speaking for myself when I say that I wish all Tech Support issues could be resolved satisfactorily. Fortunately this one was resolved by the resourcefulness of the gameplayer himself: FvG. Unfortunately at other times, as in war, there is a "casualty rate."
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Tech Support”