Bug: No units will activate

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

TheMaskedScientist
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Bug: No units will activate

Post by TheMaskedScientist » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:39 pm

I started played OoB:WWII recently and have been going through all the free material. I've repeatedly come across an insistant bug.

After playing a while, suddenly I can't activate any units. I can select them, but they won't move or attack. I can select other units freely, click on terrain, opponents and everything else, but none of the units will allow me to do anything.

I can save the game, load it and play on. Sometimes I can then play several turns without the problem, and other times it will reappear after moving a single unit, before the attack.

Saving and loading takes time and when it begins to appear every turn, it ruins the game for me. Is there some workaround or setting I can configure to keep enjoying the game?

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Bug: No units will activate

Post by zakblood » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:43 pm

welcome to the forum, in some battles, some units are locked, so you can't move them, the AI does it for when you do your turn.

if it happens on your units which aren't part of this rule, then you have an issue with the game or installer and may need to re try it and see if a reload fixes the issue.

regarding your post, as far i can know and can see in the tech support section, this isn't a posted or known issue, so seems something wrong with your install tbh

jakemon
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jakemon » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:46 am

I saw something similar to this on Version 5.2.9 x64 Win 7. In a very busy scenario, there was one unit I could <mouse> select but could not get it to move or attack (all other units were fine). I ended up using the <Page Down> key to cycle through the unmoved units. When the problem unit was reached, I was able to get it to move / attack. I followed up with a save & reboot.

Your issue seems much more severe. It might help if you identified your platform / version / campaign / scenario.

When you wrote you "have been going through all the free material" it made me wonder if you were using a demo product that is somehow limited. My experience is the price of this software is well worth the days of entertainment. (I am critical of release instability.) Apologies if I've misread your situation.

Navman2854
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Navman2854 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:38 pm

I run across this in the Norway scenario Blitzkrieg campaign. After I capture the first airfield with the German paras, I load them up and next turn when I click on the plane to get them to their next objective, it won't move. I pull up the unit list, click on the unit there and the plane now highlights and will move. I think this is the only time I've seen this occur :roll:

TheMaskedScientist

Post by TheMaskedScientist » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:17 pm

This is indeed v5.2.9 and run on Win7 64-bit. I've downloaded the game through steam. It is free to play the Boot Camp tutorial campaign and then a single scenario from every other campaign.

I've tried uninstalling the game from steam and downloading it again. I've even validated the game files and purchased the US Marines Campaign. Unfortunately the error persists.
It first happened to me during turn 5 in the very first scenario and then dozens of more times throughout the scenario. In scenario 2 it occured in the first turn.

Switching through idle units doesn't help, as it does not affect one, but every single unit in the game. So far, saving and loading have fixed it every time, but sometimes for as short as a single action (moving a unit, then bugging up before allowing the attack).

jakemon
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jakemon » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:26 pm

That sounds very frustrating and is definitely not the way it should be. Experiencing that with US Marines rules out any notion of demo limitations. You can post a save game here, and someone else running it without issue will confirm the problem is local to your installation.

Does output_log.txt show you anything? Mine is located at "C:\Users\~\AppData\LocalLow\The Artistocrats\Order of Battle - WWII". The Steam location might be different. I don't favor Steam, so I download executables from Matrix / Slitherine. I understand there is some difference between the 2 products, but can't speak to it. I think you are allowed to get your product key from Steam and download from Matrix, and thus remain independent.

Earlier this year there was some release pain relating to x64 and getting to v5.2.9, particularly with an upgrade in place. It included uninstall cleanup. The issues are well documented in the forum now. Was your install impacted by any of that?

How are your Win7 resources doing? Does Task Manager show any CPU or memory hogging? I run ok with an i5 quad core @ 3.2 GHz, 8 Gb RAM, and vanilla Intel graphics. I'm using the default OOB options. Does changing Options->Preferences->"3D World Map" to "2D Tactical Map" impact the problem by requiring less platform resource? Anything unusual in your Windows log files?

TheMaskedScientist

Post by TheMaskedScientist » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:29 pm

Update:
I've tried uninstalling my steam version and instead downloading the game from Slitherine. Tried the Marines Campaign and had the same issue at the beginning of turn 4 of the first scenario.

Having installed and updated directly through the publisher, I find it hard to believe the install should somehow be at fault, but I am at a loss as to what is.

I am not using and modding, surveillance, ingame recording or chat software, I have nothing but AVG antivirus running in the background while I play.

GabeKnight
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by GabeKnight » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:39 pm

TheMaskedScientist wrote:Having installed and updated directly through the publisher, I find it hard to believe the install should somehow be at fault, but I am at a loss as to what is.
There are addition files, like your settings and savegames, stored at a different location (user/"documents"/my games/oob...) than the installation files. So yes, there really could be conflict from previous version's left over files, even if you think you did a "clean" install.

TheMaskedScientist

Post by TheMaskedScientist » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:52 pm

Here is a copy of the log_output. There does seem to be quite a lot of stuff wrong from what I can read, but I don't really understand it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hljM3w ... sp=sharing

And here's a savegame from the Marines Campaign in question.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iWlLMd ... sp=sharing

How can I do a complete wipe of all data to try over?

TheMaskedScientist

Post by TheMaskedScientist » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:15 pm

Update:
I've downloaded IObit uninstaller and hopefully managed to delete any residual files. Nothing shows up in the pathfinder when searching for it.

Now I am reinstalling the file I downloaded from Slitherine which is an earlier version (5.2.1). Should I try NOT updating, but see if I still have the problem?

jakemon
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jakemon » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:42 pm

AFAIK OrderOfBattle-WorldWarII-Setup64Release-v5.2.1.zip is still the most recent base installer.

If you've had OOB x32 on your system you should follow this (note registry edit tool): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 64&t=80817

Here's an x64 new install (note December auto-update bug) : http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 72&t=81104

I'd recommend using the in game auto-update to get to v5.2.9, then installing your US Marines DLC.

robertahyuk
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by robertahyuk » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:27 pm

jakemon wrote:AFAIK OrderOfBattle-WorldWarII-Setup64Release-v5.2.1.zip is still the most recent base installer.

If you've had OOB x32 on your system you should follow this (note registry edit tool): http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 64&t=80817

Here's an x64 new install (note December auto-update bug) : http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 72&t=81104

I'd recommend using the in game auto-update to get to v5.2.9, then installing your US Marines DLC.
Jakemon is right. Once you have 5.1.2 installed? Then update from the game itself to 5.2.9. I play U.S. Marines all the time and it works fine.

TheMaskedScientist

Post by TheMaskedScientist » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:54 pm

Still no luck...

Did everything to get a clean install directly from Slitherine. Updated to 5.2.9 via the ingame-option. Got the bug in Marines scenario 1, first thing in turn 2. Finished the scenario encountering the bug several more times (including once directly after loading a save). :(

TheMaskedScientist

Post by TheMaskedScientist » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:18 pm

I surrender.

After having spent four hours today trying to install the game on a different computer I am giving up. On this computer I cannot even start the game. I did everything as suggested to get the best install and when I attempt to run the game all I get is black screen with the windows cursor. Clicking anywhere changes the program to "not responding".

Thanks for all your help, gentlemen, this was unfortunately just not a game I was allowed to ever enjoy.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Tech Support”