PSA - Turn Start / Deployment Phase?

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

PSA - Turn Start / Deployment Phase?

Post by bru888 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:10 am

This is one of those unannounced and undocumented changes which are introduced to the scenario editor with every new version of OOB. "Deployment Phase" appeared with version 7.1.4 for the first time and certainly could have its uses (I haven't thought of any yet, but I will :) ).

"PSA" in English stands for "Public Service Announcement" which I am making because I have some concerns about Deployment Phase with pre-7.1.4 DLC and custom content. The reason I am saying this is, going over some things here and there, I have found a few instances in which it seems triggers may have defaulted to Deployment Phase when they were originally set for Turn >0.

Take this for example. It's from the U.S. Pacific version of Pearl Harbor; this is how it looks out of the box now:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (216.05 KiB) Viewed 568 times

I tested this arrangement and it does not work as originally designed because even though it's set for infinite frequency, it's testing for the Deployment Phase condition on every turn. This is not good for this scenario, because this trigger was intended to keep the Japanese AI planes focused on the harbor throughout the scenario. There may be a gap where no Japanese planes are in sight of the harbor and FOW will ensue for the AI.

To determine if I am right, would some of you scenario editor-savvy fellows look at this trigger from U.S. Pacific / Pearl Harbor and see if it appears the same to you? If so, I think we may have a problem and the developers may need to go through their old DLC to correct it where it occurs.
- Bru

terminator
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Re: PSA - Turn Start / Deployment Phase?

Post by terminator » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:00 am

I have tested the Condition "Deloyment Phase".

Deployment Phase means turn n°0. Turn n°0 and infinite frequency ?????????

It works only if this box is checked :

Screenshot 883.jpg
Screenshot 883.jpg (179.07 KiB) Viewed 539 times

I do not understand very well the interest of this new condition. This trigger returns to the same (No condition for Turn Start) :

Screenshot 886.jpg
Screenshot 886.jpg (196.16 KiB) Viewed 539 times

terminator

Post by terminator » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:24 am

PearlHarborUSA 6.1.9 :

PearlHarborUSA(6.1.9).jpg
PearlHarborUSA(6.1.9).jpg (219.02 KiB) Viewed 530 times

GabeKnight
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by GabeKnight » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:26 pm

bru888 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:10 am
To determine if I am right, would some of you scenario editor-savvy fellows look at this trigger from U.S. Pacific / Pearl Harbor and see if it appears the same to you? If so, I think we may have a problem and the developers may need to go through their old DLC to correct it where it occurs.
Yes, it looks like you described in the editor. But the scen as itself plays okay, just tested it. Does not seem to have an effect here, but you're right in general, of course, this has to be checked and observed. The only weird thing was the Japs targeting the cruiser more than I remember them to. But that could be some minor AI code change.

And like you and Mr. T, I don't see the obvious reason why it's needed altogether - with the "scenario start" event already present.

Screenshot 755.jpg
Screenshot 755.jpg (420.4 KiB) Viewed 510 times

terminator

Post by terminator » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:15 pm

GabeKnight wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:26 pm
And like you and Mr. T, I don't see the obvious reason why it's needed altogether - with the "scenario start" event already present.
"Scenario Start" is not strickly the same as "Turn Start".

Example with "Scenario Start" :

Screenshot 888.jpg
Screenshot 888.jpg (141.66 KiB) Viewed 502 times
Screenshot 889.jpg
Screenshot 889.jpg (453.6 KiB) Viewed 503 times

bru888

Post by bru888 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:09 pm

terminator wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:24 am
PearlHarborUSA 6.1.9 :

PearlHarborUSA(6.1.9).jpg
PearlHarborUSA(6.1.9).jpg (219.02 KiB) Viewed 493 times
This is key. This is the way that it looked up until now? Then wherever this tactic was used in the past, Turn > 0, it seems it may now default to Deployment Phase. The designer(s) did this for a reason in Pearl Harbor and I wonder if results will consistently be the same now. Same wherever else this was done.

Thanks for responding, guys. Now it's up to the developers to take care of their game as they see fit.
- Bru

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:18 pm

The "deployment phase" option as condition should definately not change a previous setting like turn > x in older scns.

Thx for posting this.

bru888

Post by bru888 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:24 pm

My pleasure, bebro. Thanks for taking care of OOB.
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Tech Support”