Dunkirk, Developer Video play-through

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Dunkirk, Developer Video play-through

Post by adherbal » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:50 pm

Dunkirk is a tricky scenario. The main objective is to clear the map of Allied ground units but how to achieve that is up to the player.

The Allied position against the Channel coast has become increasingly untenable, and further losses will cause their evacuation to begin. This means that while the primary objective suggests the destruction of every enemy unit, in reality a lot of them will leave the battlefield on their own if the German advance threatens the last Allied ports. To encourage aggression however, secondary objectives call for the destruction of at least 12 British units and knocking Belgium out of the war by capturing one out of 3 secondary victory points behind their frontline.

This play-through uses difficulty level 4 out of 5.

My core force:
  • 1x Pz III G
  • 1x Pz IV C
  • 2x Fallschirmjäger
  • 2x Heavy Infantry
  • 1x Engineers
  • 3x 75mm FK18
  • 1x 8.8cm Flak 37
  • 1x Sdkfz 10/4 AA
  • 2x Bf 109 E
  • 1x Bf 110 C
  • 2x Ju 87 B
  • 1x Ar 196

Turn 1:

The first decision is how to split my forces between the north-east and south-west pincers. Because the French have better aircraft and tanks than the Belgians, I deploy my Panzer III, 88mm, motorised AA gun as well as 1 Bf109, 1 Ju87 Stuka and the Bf 110 in their sector. The bulk of the infantry, with support from the short-barreled Pz VI tank and 2 artillery guns will face the Belgians.

My short term objectives are to break through the Belgian defenses to knock them out of the war (by capturing one of their secondary objectives) while the south-eastern army advances toward the strong French position around Lille. Once the Belgian have surrendered, both pincer attacks should converge on Lille and destroy any remaining French resistance there.

On the first turn I advance toward the river Lys, where the Belgian army is positioned behind. Aside from destroying a forward garrison unit, no major attacks are launched in this sector, but artillery and air strikes are launched to soften the enemy defenses.

The eastern army engages isolated French troops, dealing heavy casualties.

Turn 2-4

On Belgium, my forces cross the river Lys and face heavy counter attacks. Significant casualties are taken, including the destruction of an auxiliary infantry unit. My own attacks are equally devastating however, and by the end of turn 4 my troops have established two solid bridgeheads across the Lys.

In the east, French tanks cause significant damage but a combination of air strikes, artillery barrages, outflanking attacks and massive 88mm shells quickly reduces them to wrecks. French aircraft seriously damage my Bf 110 unit but are eventually repelled by Bf 109 fighter aircraft and motorised AA gun.

Turn 5

In the next turn, German troops decisively destroy both the French counter-attack and the Belgian defense behind the river Lys. The opening stage of the battle has proceeded largely according to plan: Belgium is expected to surrender soon and the advance toward Lille will now begin.

Turn 6

Another easy "blitzkrieg" turn where the Germans mob up all remaining Belgian and French resistance. The roads to both the Belgian rear and the French army at Lille are now wide open.

To be continued...

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Re: Dunkirk, Developer Video play-through

Post by adherbal » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:51 pm

Turn 7

The remaining French troops retreat north, while I regroup my northern army and give them a round of repairs.

Turn 8 - 9

The southern army continues its advance toward Lille, while its Luftwaffe support units retreat for refueling and repairs. As contact is made with the French defenses, heavy artillery opens up on my troops.

In Belgium, I start to redirect some forces to the south-west to close tighten the pincer around Lille. The appearance of the Belgian air force causes problems, because I neglected to refuel and repair my air units in time. Hopefully we'll be able to force Belgium's surrender soon, thereby dispatching this new threat.

Turn 10 - 11

My attempt at knocking out Belgium in turn 10 fails because I forget to use my engineer unit (sitting in railroad transport) to soften up the Belgian garrison defening the nearest secondary VP. The Luftwaffe finally retreats for refueling & repairs, leaving the sky open for the Belgian Air Force. Next turn however, the requirements for the Belgian surrender is finally met as German troops capture Roeselare. I then divert most troops to the south, aiming to close the pocket around Lille.

The battle of Lille has started. As French tanks appear, I reorganise my forces and bring forward the 88mm to deal with this problem. The French heavy artillery is well protected, meaning we will have to endure bombardments for a few more turns.

Our advance has outflanked the British position around Mouscron and the British finally decide to abandon the Dunkirk pocket: The Allied evacuation has begun.

To be continued...

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Turn 12 -15

Belgium has surrendered. This frees up the entire northern army to push south and west. I'm still attempting to link up with the southern army around Lille but encounter British forces along the way.

I almost lose a unit of paratroopers by moving them too deep into enemy territory without proper support. It takes some effort to extract them and stop the British counter-attack there.

Meanwhile at Lille, after some hard fighting my troops break the back of the French defense and begin the clean-up operation.

Turn 16

My engineer unit at Oostende gets itself in trouble when a British light tank unit appears. I'm hoping to keep the port city with some help from the newly spawned Schnellboote.

Meanwhile my northern army destroys the British counter-attack, while watching enemy troops retreat just across a river barrier.

At Lille, the rounding up of French troops continues.

Turn 17

More of the same. I decide to dispatch a unit of paratroopers to help the engineers at Oostende and prepare to cross the river in front of Ypres which covers the bulk of the (retreating) British forces. They launch a counter-attack across they river themselves, but it fails to make a big impact.

As the resistance of Lille is now decisively broken, I begin redirecting forces from the southern army toward the north-west, toward Dunkirk.

Turn 18

The mop-up force around Lille finally reaches the the edge of this city itself, preparing for the final assault. Meanwhile, forces from north and south armies close in on the British around Ypres, as the latter continue to retreat units toward Dunkirk.

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

(reserved)

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:52 pm

(reserved)

armonica
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by armonica » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:43 pm

Do the French and English bunkers count as units to be destroyed for the victory conditions?

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by adherbal » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:57 am

Yes, all the bunkers along the original frontline will self-destructed when the troops there retreat however.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - AAR”