Units unable to attack poor explanation poor tutorial

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Units unable to attack poor explanation poor tutorial

Post by 61024016 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:16 am

I've played panzer general type games for decades and this game is absolutely one of the most annoying and frustrating in the genre. Units stop attacking for no apparent reason, planes wont land on occupied air fields etc. Obvious features such as ammo or sight range have no indicators. Enemy units are poorly identified,objectives are vague. Units often won't fire on adjacent enemies and artillery units stop firing (will only barage). I played numerous versions of panzer general and was never confused as to mechanics. This game makes me want to throw a brick through my monitor at times. The designers have no common sense as to the games playability. I understand the concept of unit damage and lack of ammo but there is absolutely no explanation in the game. A unit will have red on the numeral but wtf does that mean. After reinforcing the unit it still won't attack and this is the dumbest feature of all!

kondi754
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Re: Units unable to attack poor explanation poor tutorial

Post by kondi754 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:34 am

61024016 wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:16 am
I've played panzer general type games for decades and this game is absolutely one of the most annoying and frustrating in the genre. Units stop attacking for no apparent reason, planes wont land on occupied air fields etc. Obvious features such as ammo or sight range have no indicators. Enemy units are poorly identified,objectives are vague. Units often won't fire on adjacent enemies and artillery units stop firing (will only barage). I played numerous versions of panzer general and was never confused as to mechanics. This game makes me want to throw a brick through my monitor at times. The designers have no common sense as to the games playability. I understand the concept of unit damage and lack of ammo but there is absolutely no explanation in the game. A unit will have red on the numeral but wtf does that mean. After reinforcing the unit it still won't attack and this is the dumbest feature of all!
Read the manual, get to know the rules of the game, this game is completely different than PzC, so don't pour your frustration here
(Manual in pdf format is located inside game folder, but you may click on "Game Manual" buton on starting panel)
It's like you've been playing Doom (FPS) all your life and now you're complaining that you can't win Fallout (RPG) when you play according to Doom rules

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:04 pm

I highly recommend to consult the manual esp. on unit efficiency and supply. These are key concepts, critical to master OOB, and different from PG or PzC. Low efficiency is the most probable cause for a unit not attacking anymore.

There is no manual resupply, refuel or ammo needed in this game for the vast majority of units. Explicit fuel plays only a role for air units, if we ignore few of the more specific cases like paras.

Otoh supply does play a major role, but in a completely different way.

Zekedia222
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Zekedia222 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:09 pm

This is certainly not a case of poor explanation. As kondi stated, it is completely different. I can only recommend reading the game manual, or playing a campaign on the easiest setting to actually learn. If you don’t understand anything after that, it is simple. Post your question on the OoB forum, as well as taking screenshots to point out what you mean. I’d recommend posting on the main forum, not the AAR. The main forum is more visible and active. People will do their best to help you.
Klinger, you're dumber than you look, and THAT boggles the MIND.
- Charles Emerson Winchester III

KarisFraMauro
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by KarisFraMauro » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:52 am

Although I wouldn't phrase quite so bluntly, I do absolutely get where he's coming from. A lot of things are very difficult to grasp without consulting the manual. Even after doing so, stuff like "escarpments" (huh?) prevent attacking in Sandstorm. Well I'm not a game designer so I shouldn't throw stones, still interesting enough. Even if the infinite free AI reinforcements in Moscow left me banging my head against a wall...

gunny

Post by gunny » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:06 pm

KarisFraMauro wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:52 am
Although I wouldn't phrase quite so bluntly, I do absolutely get where he's coming from. A lot of things are very difficult to grasp without consulting the manual. Even after doing so, stuff like "escarpments" (huh?) prevent attacking in Sandstorm. Well I'm not a game designer so I shouldn't throw stones, still interesting enough. Even if the infinite free AI reinforcements in Moscow left me banging my head against a wall...
Hey KARIS - fancy you mention this there was just recently some discussion on this in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=264&t=96344
What is great about this thread is that there are detailed explanations with pics I ran into the same thing you did and it was frustrating then finally after trying to design scenarios with the editor and fooling around with different things like escarpments and different terrain type tiles I figured out some stuff. Someone like myself would enjoy making an unofficial manual addendum but I need to spend my time doing other things to that are of a higher priority... plus my problem is I make things to wordy ...

conboy
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by conboy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:44 pm

I used to play a lot of Unity of Command before I switched to PzC. I only played PzC that for a little while because I missed the supply aspect and the PzC graphics were goofy - units looked superb but they weren't fun when they moved.

So when I gave OoB a try, I thought it was a great compromise between UoC, which was (not the new version) all about supply and had fairly simple mechanics (great battles!) but not many unit types, and OoB had the cool variety of units that PzC had, but also superb graphics and I think a good representation of logistics and supply. So here I am.

I watched the new PzC videos and decided it was too high-tech looking and couldn't get over the bizarre unit scale. I mean they have these cool map graphix but the unit token size is mind-twisting. I really didn't like some of the PzC game mechanics, especially being nearly wiped out when you hit an enemy on the road. Other stuff too. The fun quotient in OoB is much higher!

I didn't have much trouble picking up the mechanics but I did have to work my way through the manual a couple of times. OoB is incomprehensible without early reference to the manual.

conboy

Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:03 pm

Hummm, here he comes, again. Doesn't he never get tired ofe being kicked out and out?

Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:05 pm

His ungentlemanly style is unmistakable. Goof!

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - AAR”