AI team affiliation question

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

GabeKnight
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

AI team affiliation question

Post by GabeKnight » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:43 pm

Hi,

this time it's me who could use some help with the scenario editor. Doing mostly "reverse-engineering" on already working scenarios, I'd like to know if there's a possiblity to highlight or select or any other way to see which units belong to which AI-team out of the "AI-Setup Tab" within the settings of the editor (see screenshot)?

Any viable solution or workaround is appreciated, as long as it improves my current method: having to select every single unit and check manually. Thank you.
Attachments
AI-Teams_editor.jpg
AI-Teams_editor.jpg (66.01 KiB) Viewed 326 times

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: AI team affiliation question

Post by Shards » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:46 pm

There is a button that will show the AI team of units on the main view....

Is it "J"?

edit: Yep, it's "J"

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:06 pm

Thanks, Shards!
Ah great, there it is, some radar stations are set to "naval capture hex" :)

Now I have another one: Does the "air seek & destroy" setting with distance and aggression but without any targets selected work at all (like: if you select none they will attack everything that moves)? Sorry, I'm just lazy right now to test it myself.

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:25 pm

Shards wrote:There is a button that will show the AI team of units on the main view....

Is it "J"?

Five scenarios under my belt, so to speak, and I am still learning about this scenario editor. Who knew about this? That's the trouble, by the way, with no official documentation; everything has to be learned on the fly, by chance, and by trial and error. Nuggets like this one . . . well, that makes maybe five people on the planet who now know plus a few others who may stumble across this thread in the dim future. But this is no longer even a concern, just a given; just the way it is with this.

By the way, once you do a "J," how do you turn it off again? "K"?
GabeKnight wrote:Does the "air seek & destroy" setting with distance and aggression but without any targets selected work at all (like: if you select none they will attack everything that moves)? Sorry, I'm just lazy right now to test it myself.
Let me attempt to answer this in a negative fashion. I have never encountered a situation to change my impression that it works like any other seek & destroy setting.

EDIT: Hmmm. I can do better than that. It is my further impression that, unlike land and naval seek & destroy, which are limited to land and naval targets, air seek & destroy works a bit differently in that preference will be given to enemy air targets but land and naval targets will also be attacked if no priorities are selected. That's just empirical evidence, however.
- Bru

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:17 am

bru888 wrote:By the way, once you do a "J," how do you turn it off again? "K"?
Select something else, like "supply" and then go back to "units". Worked for me.

You know the 5 stages of grief, Bruce? Concerning OoB, I think I've overcome anger by now and am nearing acceptance. There was a bit of bargaining in between, but I'm glad to have skipped depression...

bru888

Post by bru888 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:56 am

GabeKnight wrote:You know the 5 stages of grief, Bruce? Concerning OoB, I think I've overcome anger by now and am nearing acceptance. There was a bit of bargaining in between, but I'm glad to have skipped depression...
Heh, your transition was much faster and apparently easier than mine. I went kicking, screaming, and being dragged down the corridor by the orderlies for nearly two years before I (just recently) attained my current state of transcendental harmoniousness concerning OOB. :)
- Bru

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:56 am

That may come with age... :) :wink:

Sure, it's not perfect and the development could be speedier, and for an impatient fan like me that can be quite frustrating, but still.... they've provided a solid platform for WW2 gaming, and I'm having my fun with it.

... but I tend to be stubborn and unforgiving at times as well, so I don't know for sure... :lol:

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:42 am

Shards wrote:There is a button that will show the AI team of units on the main view....

Is it "J"?

Are there any other secret keys or hand-shakes that would be nice to know?
I already tried sacrifying a chicken while standing on my head murmuring our national anthem.

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:18 am

I only found that one out because I'd hit it by accident when trying to name a unit and wondered what I'd done :D

gunnyjs
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gunnyjs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:58 am

I have a doc file where I put nuggets like this the thing about pressing the letter J. Click on a unit and press J so simple. This Documentation file is 14 pages long now has all my notes in if about the manual so I can remember stuff - time to back up the file If I loose it I may put a hammer through the monitor.

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:15 pm

GabeKnight wrote: Now I have another one: Does the "air seek & destroy" setting with distance and aggression but without any targets selected work at all (like: if you select none they will attack everything that moves)? Sorry, I'm just lazy right now to test it myself.
Tested. It does apparently work okay either way. Doesn't need no "Target Definition". But I didn't test the AI's priority (which air, land or naval unit) of attacks. Probably as always attacking the unit with the highest expected damage output.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”