Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Free France Campaign

Post by bru888 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:58 am

bru888 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:46 pm
I promised earlier that I would release a two-scenario "preview" of Free France after "several days." That has turned into a matter of weeks. [Snip: A bit of self-pitying prose has been removed. The forum moderator advises the custom designer to either put up or shut up. :wink: ]
Okay, put up.

Free France 1940-1945 (first 2 scenarios)

Three things:

1) As the title says, only the first two scenarios are ready. There are a couple of messages between the second scenario and what will be the third, but that is it.

2) Due to factors that I have mentioned before, while each scenario will have core units for the player, these units will not persist from one scenario to the next. A fresh set of core units will be generated for each scenario as needed. I did try, but it was not a go.

3) IRL, Dakar was an embarrassing loss for the Allies. Gabon, in contrast, was a virtual cakewalk with only 20 or so fatalities. Nobody would want to play scenarios that strictly adhered to this history. Therefore, each scenario is based on actual circumstances but is greatly enhanced as to the scope and challenge of battle.
- Bru

Mascarenhas
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Mascarenhas » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:35 pm

First impressions: just great! A lot of action, a sensible use of French units that are very much underestimated against German in ETO. I'm loving this first one, Dakar.

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:56 pm

Mascarenhas wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:35 pm
First impressions: just great! A lot of action, a sensible use o French units that are very much underestimated against German in ETO. I'm loving this first one, Dakar.
I am glad, my friend, thank you. I have made a great start on Kufra. More to report soon. Funny how the sketchiness of the information (but enough to go on) and the lack of a bona fide battle map are actually stimulating the creative juices. Plus, after all that snow and heavy forest in Finland, and the jungles of Dakar and Gabon, I am finding the arid desert air invigorating. I think I am going to like Kufra very much.
- Bru

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:31 pm

This will be one of the objectives, the Buma Aerodrome and Radio Station outside of Al Jawf, capital of the Kufra District:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (269.18 KiB) Viewed 68 times
- Bru

Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:54 pm

Ongoing report 1 ( Dakar ):

1) Zero resources for Aussies x 01 Aussie capital capital ship; no repair possible. That's a bit unfair, the poor cruiser will be a prime target for every Vichy unit in town.

2) railroad yard has no embarking platform, can't get the train to Dakar, why is it so?

3) Île de Gorée, no pic.

Lots of fun. Patruille costière . what??? Sacre bleu!

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:10 pm

Mascarenhas wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:54 pm
Ongoing report 1 ( Dakar ):

1) Zero resources for Aussies x 01 Aussie capital capital ship; no repair possible. That's a bit unfair, the poor cruiser will be a prime target for every Vichy unit in town.

2) railroad yard has no embarking platform, can't get the train to Dakar, why is it so?

3) Île de Gorée, no pic.

Lots of fun. Patruille costière . what??? Sacre bleu!
1) As intended. In recent work, and in these particular scenarios, I don't give income for ships at sea, away from their home ports. How realistic is it for a battleship to sail to the docks at Rufisque, recently conquered and lacking an adequate shipyard, to be repaired for battle damage? Whatever income you do see is for land and air units only. Australia only has the cruiser in this scenario.

2) It's not intended for you to take the train to Dakar. What do you expect, a free ride on a commuter railroad? :x ( :wink: )

3) It works on my end, which troubles me in that why doesn't it work on your end? :(

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (270.69 KiB) Viewed 53 times
- Bru

Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:39 pm

1) Well, since I can repair British and French vessels, I see no point in not having tha ability to also repair the Aussie, in the game logic.
2) I can take the train at Rufisque and go all the way to Dakar if I want. Why not having intermediary stations in the way? Either no station at Rufisque, or more stations on the way, it seems to me more realistic.
3) Probably a matter of graphic resolution, you may have done it on 5 K or 4K, and I, poor me, only have lower resolution rate.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”