CSI Sweep: US 3d Infantry Division

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: CSI Sweep: US 3d Infantry Division

Post by Erik2 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:15 am

Bru, take some time off OOB. and recharge your batteries. Then maybe just simply play OOB and not bother with fixing stuff for a while.
Heck, maybe even take up multiplay. I'll gladly spend some server time with you.

And let me thank you for all the time you have spent improving my own creations.
Above and beyond duty, sir.

I hope we'll see you back in the OOB-saddle not too far in the future.

Erik

ColonelY
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by ColonelY » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:13 am

Gee, that's too bad! :cry:

Anyway, it was a pleasure to have had the opportunity to collaborate with you a little bit. And thank you once again for all you've done! :D

And thanks as well for letting us know. 8)

As you wrote once, I also have the impression that we're partly on the same wavelength, if I may say so... :wink:

Well, then all I have to say now is, my friend:

:arrow: Take care, all the best and, perhaps, I hope, "à bientôt" (=see you soon)!

conboy
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by conboy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:44 pm

Dwightd,
Please check your PM.

conboy

Dwightd
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Dwightd » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:03 am

Bru, I wish to thank you for all you have done for us.

Please do now what is good for you.

I hope to see you on the forum here and there :)

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by GabeKnight » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:43 am

Don't be so dramatic you all, he's taking some time off from "work", not OoB or this forum! :D :wink:

bru888

Post by bru888 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:14 pm

GabeKnight wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:43 am
Don't be so dramatic you all, he's taking some time off from "work", not OoB or this forum! :D :wink:
Well, yeah, although I myself might have sounded overly dramatic. Bad day, that, and CSI sweeping had suddenly lost its luster.

Still, I need some time to reset the OOB meter with the emphasis on enjoyment rather than work. I haven't given up on Free France, by the way; I will be continuing with that but with two arrangements in mind:

1) I shouldn't have "volunteered" for this project only to let conboy down. I feel bad about that but it taught me something: when it starts feeling like a drudge, it is a drudge. The sweeping, not conboy's campaign.

2) Whatever time I spend on OOB that is not related to game-playing will be devoted to my own designing without regard to a) how long it is taking and b) how it compares to the volume of output of others.

In other words, turn it back to personal; do it for my own use and enjoyment, not for the approval of others; and whatever I come up with, share it if appropriate but with no expectations. Somewhere along the line, I had gotten off that track and veered down the "part-time job" lane.

So already, I have a hankering to get back to Free France. And, of course, I grabbed version 8.6.0 and Red Storm today. But no, no more sweeping of other guys' stuff from now on.

Sorry once more, conboy, but if you go over the first three or four scenarios, I think you will find things that are applicable to the rest of the scenarios concerning objectives, AI tasks, etc. Most of CSI sweeping is merely taking the time to go over every trigger, condition, and effect, line by line, and not assuming that you did everything correctly. Try to step back and look at it like somebody else would and apply a critical eye to every detail.

For work like yours with the amount of complication it contains, it's probably best that the author does this for himself. Only you can know what you intended and thus have the knowledge to efficiently follow through from one end to the other to see that it gets done.

If that's too much - and I can't blame you if so - then one of my other statements is applicable: It's already fun to play your campaign. Let it be fun, and let us assume that everything is working properly until you or somebody else notices a design flaw and reports it.

Heh, that's one effective way of "sweeping" your own stuff, conboy: Play it! Have YOU played US 3d Infantry Division? (I'm often guilty of that omission myself with my stuff.) If not, you should! Advance notices have been quite favorable. :)
- Bru

conboy

Post by conboy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:16 pm

Bru,
As I said, I thought it was a huge (unfairly so) request for you to sweep a whole campaign. But I must say I was confident in it, with 5 good players going from front to back on it, on two different Beta versions.

I need to put on my own big boy pants and check it again myself one last time. So I am doing it now. You just have a method down that seems to hit all the spots, likely and unlikely. Things like, for you, it's natural to assign a trigger to an AI team after it moves. Me, it don't come natchelly.

I have played US 3d Division several times, and am working my way through it one last time. Each time, each scenario, though, I find itty bitty thangs that need fixing and thangs that need improving. But I'm setting a limit -- no new triggers! (except for idle AI teams...)

As we say in the bidness I'm in, there comes a point where you just have to shoot the engineers and finish the job!

I don't bear you any hard or unfriendly feelings -- I just hope you start enjoying things more. But we all been there and done that.

Again, thanks for your lessons and encouragement!

conboy

ps -- I have my own tale of woe. I had two accordions behind the passenger seat of my truck and had to get out to go to the tackle shop. I thought they were well hidden, but while I was in there, somebody smashed the passenger window and threw another accordion into my truck.

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:11 am

That's funny, conboy.
Accordion is the devil's favourite instrument, maybe throw a bag-pipe into the bargain (or into your truck).

glaude1955
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by glaude1955 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:32 am

Hello,

Where can we download this campaign?

Best regards

yves

conboy

Post by conboy » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:03 pm

yves
Where can we download this campaign?
I am doing my final playthrough with a helper and expect it will be ready in about two weeks, given the pace we are now on. I will release it on my page and the von Paulus page. If you want to do some playthroughs of sample scenarios, see:

viewtopic.php?f=374&t=93288&start=100

All of those scenarios are in the campaign, but updated somewhat. If you find them interesting, the campaign will be interesting. I will update the single-player scenarios page when I am done with the campaign.

Thank you for your interest!

conboy

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”