designating sides in the editor confusing.

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

pincaviglia86
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

designating sides in the editor confusing.

Post by pincaviglia86 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:16 am

The editor is quite easy to use and understand, when it comes to painting terrain, placing units and structures, etc. However, maybe it's just me, but assigning sides, who goes first, and setting the ai and team colors and all of that, is very confusing. Unfortunately, this is not covered in what little is written in the manual about the editor. In fact, only a couple of paragraphs are dedicated to the editor. The hot keys are fine, but knowing these keys does nothing toward explaining exactly how to properly assign sides, team colors, ai and other parameters necessary to create a working scenario.. I know the game is new, but It would have been great if the setup parameters were at least mentioned a little in the manual. I would appreciate any help on this subject, from an administrator or anyone....or if someone would just let me know if Slitherine plans to add some more about using the editor, that would be fine too. I saw where some beta tester said that "we should get on the ball and that he had already created many scenarios". Well, unfortunately everyone of us doesn't have the ability to "magically grasp and fully understand" the editor, with only a couple of short paragraphs to go on. As a result, I don't think that tons of stuff will be "popping up" until the editor has a little bit more documentation. Again, I fully understand the newness of the game, and I am not asking for or expecting a full blown wikki....I just thought it would have been great if game parameters would have been discussed instead of hot keys. After all, you can play any game without ever using hot keys...but if the parameters are set up wrong...things will not work very well. I'm just saying.......

adherbal
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Re: designating sides in the editor confusing.

Post by adherbal » Fri May 01, 2015 11:36 am

Writing a full manual for the editor would've double the page-count, and since the editor has been updated often it was difficult to write any final documentation in the game manual. Instead we plan on supporting it through this forum instead, answering questions gradually until basically everything is covered and players can start to help out eachother.

To adres you question about "sides":

From the editor POV "players" are called "Alliances". An alliance is either human controlled or AI controlled.

Each alliance can contain one or more nations (Japan, US, Britian, ...). This means that one (human) player can control the units of several nations. The Settings panel, Alliances tab displays a column for each alliance, with the nations which are part of that alliance listed below, with green check markers. Simple click on the boxes next to each nation to change the alliance it is part of.

There are always between 4 and 6 alliances in the game:
  • The first alliance is hidden and includes the "no mans land" nation - the one with the white flag. This alliance and its nation exist to create unclaimed territory which any player can capture.
  • The second alliance is the neutral alliance. This one is displayed in the first column on the Settings\Alliances panel. Units of this alliance cannot be attacked, and it's territory cannot be invaded. This is to create "off-map" areas.
  • The next alliances listed in the panel are the "active" alliances either controlled by a human or AI player
If a scenario has more than 1 human controlled alliance defined it automatically shows up in the Hotseat/PBEM map list, but not in the singleplayer scenario list.

Hope this helps. If you have further questions, just ask.

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 » Fri May 01, 2015 12:32 pm

I started creating scenarios during the beta testing. I had a lot of questions/suggestions back then that was duly answered.
I think the quickest way to start learning the editor is to copy a few of the scenarios you have already played into the my games etc folder.
Then you can compare the editor values/settings with what you've experienced playing the scenario.
Persevere and you'll discover that you can create a new scenario from scratch in a surprisingly short time (after the research is finished, of course).
Please feel free to download any of my custom scenarios and check it out in the editor. Much easier for me to answer questions about these :D

Good luck!

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood » Fri May 01, 2015 12:50 pm

im old school and would have liked a manual, but as i've not got time atm to mod anyway, and it will hold up other releases on other formats are fine with current system in place as well, ty

pincaviglia86

Post by pincaviglia86 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:04 pm

Thanks for the explanation of the alliances. This helps me understand how things are set up in the game. I also appreciate the suggestion about loading an existing scenario to study from. That is a very good idea indeed. I should have thought of that myself. Again, thanks for all the help. I look forward to trying out some scenarios on the site and to eventually creating my own. I will not hesitate to ask more questions. As the need arises. The forum is a great place to learn from because it involves helping each other out. This is a really great game and it it filled with a lot of potential. I am going to get a lot of enjoyment out of playing. Thanks again.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”