Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: [Boardgame's counter MOD] Order of Battle Pacific

Post by Simulacra53 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:45 am

maitrebongo wrote:
Magic1111 wrote:
Why? :(
Because,

This Mod is not ended ; there are adjustments to be made but especially, it will be complete only when I can add it a personalized ground map, and it is not made possible by the engine of the game yet (although I was able to demonstrate that this engine could support it…).

Generally speaking, this game is not so modder's friendly which it seemed at first sight.

We can change many thing and adapt them at our convenience, but it would seem that it is not wished that we go too far to these modifications and I'm fed up to have to make sort of retro-engineering with the code of the program to find tricks to by-pass this inertia.

Modding is a symbiotic relation between motivated voluntary amateurs and team of development that has to earn money with their game.
If this collaboration does not work on a report of mutual confidence, then mods will eventually become increasingly scarce and this game will eventually fall in limbo of the stock of Slitherine/Matrixgames (like so many before it...).

I play wargames on PC for more than 25 years and I own almost 500 computer wargames (that I all kept religiously). I have modding for my personal comfort a good many of between them and I think of having acquired a certain experience which allows me to know if a wargame will have or not a certain longevity in the community of the players.

If you look in time, you will see that the wargames which lasted longer or those who were most improved is the ones whose source code more or less fell in the public domain (Steel Panthers, Close combat, Panzer General...) what allowed the modders to express himself without constraints and in all the directions.

As I said it, I am an old player and I have a lot of patience… Thus I would wait that OOB evolves in this direction to resume the modding on this game. It will be certainly the case in a few years.
After all, the essence of a wargame is 2D graphics (even if here they are 3D) and this kind of graphics is not also subject to the obsolescence as those of the fashionable games of whom we shall not remember ourselves any more before one year or two.

I would just like to thank you for the hard work, it is a shame you don't get the support you deserve.

Sure devs need to make money, but closing off a wargame too much eventually loses you money.
Same as too much dlc milking.

Your work lifts OOB to a higher level, it is a shame that the devs seem to be too blind to realize it.
Would love to be proven wrong though.

Simulacra53

Post by Simulacra53 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:48 am

PS - this counter style would look GREAT in Strategic Command WWII - War in Europe
We need you over there!

Renki111
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Renki111 » Tue May 01, 2018 8:23 am

You should include this mod as an official!
Total appearance of wargame.
The game with counters with this aspect improves a lot!

terminator
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by terminator » Tue May 01, 2018 9:42 am

RenKimura wrote:You should include this mod as an official!
Counters do not seem to interest many people :cry:

Renki111

Post by Renki111 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:18 am

terminator wrote:
RenKimura wrote:You should include this mod as an official!
Counters do not seem to interest many people :cry:
Well it's a shame ... they give us the possibility to choose the 2D map but we can not use NATO counters.

There comes a time when there are so many deployed units overwhelmed a little and difficult to differentiate.

Thanks mate for answering!

calmhatchery
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Post by calmhatchery » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:09 am

Hi maitrebongo Could once again made a link with this mode? Please cheers Peter

maitrebongo wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:56 pm

This mod allows you to play the "Order of Battle Pacific" game with boardgame's style counters instead of the 3D units.

As fan of the traditional wargames (with paper maps and cardboard counters), I decided to modify this excellent game whom is Order of Battle to be able to find the sensations of a good old game around a table.

----- EDIT : MOD IS READY :D ------------------------------------------------

You can download it here : here

To use it, unzip the archive file in the folder "Documents\My Games\Order of Battle-Pacific\Mods" of your computer.

Enjoy it :wink:

This mod is now available "as it is"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is based on the work i made on the Battle of Britain borgame's mod you can find here : http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 74&t=70800

In the meantime, I suggest you following the evolution of its creation...

Some screenshots

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”