Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Erik's campaigns

Post by Erik2 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Belgrade/Channels Islands:
Guderian is supposed to be unlocked in these two scenarios wich starts new brances.
He was probably already unlocked in an earlier scenario.
Anyway, I have replaced him with one of the Sandstorm officers.
Campaign link updated in first post.

Medenine:
Changed no of turns to 35.
Campaign link updated in first post.

GabeKnight
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Desert Rats Medenine

Post by GabeKnight » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:45 pm

ctskelly wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:23 pm
One I have trouble with is Medenine. If anyone has won it in 20 turns, at normal settings, tell me how. I used the editor to set it to 35 turns and that ended up making the scenario fantastic: side runs, airborne supply cuts, and even cracking the iron Mareth line. I recommend this fix.
Agree. Quite the tough battle. I've played it outside the campaign with no commanders, specs and such on level 5 and was done at about turn 33. The initial Panzer attack is brutal, and after that there's no way around the heavily fortified and mined position in the center. Due to the mountains and rough desert, which is unpassable for all units except infantry on foot, no outflanking moves seemed practical (or even doable with only 40 ground-CP). Taking the northern supply point and airfield of the Germans with my paratroopers helped a lot, still one tough battle.

However, hard to tell how this would've played out with an experienced campaign core force.

PS: ctskelly, for small changes like this (more RP, more turns, more command points) it's far easier to use cheats than edit the scens; and you don't have to interrupt your game! :wink:

ctskelly
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by ctskelly » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:03 am

Hi Gabe,

Your solution was almost the same as mine. Paratroopers take northern airbase and then cutoff rod supply, which is what kills them in the end. One of my aircraft was a bomber that I could also use to remove 3 point supply sources. The rest of the army, after that brutal panzer attack, moved along the coastline to penetrate the Mareth line. I also finished on 33. What makes it such a good scenario is that this is just one way you could win. I'm sure there are others, such as using recon units to blow up the mines in another sector. Or diverting more forces to the desert flanking movement.

I just can't say how much I appreciate Erik's work. I just wish there were some way I could show him. H

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:14 am

Thanks for the feedback.

Note that several of the Desert Rats scenarios are not my originals, but based on Panzer Corps/Desert War 1940-1940 scenarios.
So kudos go to whoever did the hard work researching the original maps and OOB :wink:
My main 'original' work is scripting the AI and adding objectives, units and whatnots to enhance the scenarios and make them work in OOB.

WarHomer
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by WarHomer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:01 am

Erik2 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:24 pm
I haven't told poor, old, over-worked Bru yet.
But I just about finished up a conversion of the PzC Afrika Korps campaign with 24 scenarios featuring Rommel going all the way to Burma...
I did this campaign primarily because of all the what-if scenarios. Some players have asked for more of these.
Can´t wait!!!!

About Desert Rats, how does it play now? I tried it a while back, but was disheartened by the size of the first mission.

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:09 am

The current Desert Rats campaign now start with three smaller scenarios before the large Operazione E.
There are altogether 28 scenarios.

ctskelly

Post by ctskelly » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:48 pm

Wacht am Rhein. Another good campaign thanks to Erik, and as he says, we owe thanks to the Panzer Corps folks.

I have found a number of minor errors that do not affect game play much, such as victory conditions not recognized. But the big one is scenario 8, Widening, that always ends on turn one end with a Minor Victory. It seems the victory conditions (holding villages) are evaluated at turn end time instead of scenario end time.

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:12 am

ctskelly, thanks for reporting.

Widening the Corridor:
Fixed primary objective.
Added map markers to primary and secondary objectives.

Link updated in first post.

BTW, this campaign is based on scenarios from Panther Games' excellent Command Ops-series (Battles From the Bulge).

vindahl
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by vindahl » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:24 am

Hi, a quick question regarding your campaigns...
Are those single scenarios you have shared and posted in the other thread about custom scenarios included in your campaigns?

I found a quite a few that looked very promising, but I wondered if I just as well could try them out in one of you campaigns if they are included anyway?

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:30 am

vindahl

Some of the single player scenarios are included in campaigns. Most of them are not.
Also, the campaign versions will have updated scenarios since players seldom/never (?) report any issues with single scenarios.

You can play campaign scenarios as single scenarios by moving them into the My Games...Scenarios folder, but you need to add resources for purchasing core units.

Ctrl c to open console.

#warbonds +- x
+- x resources

McLeoudX
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by McLeoudX » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:28 am

Erik2 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:30 am
vindahl

Some of the single player scenarios are included in campaigns. Most of them are not.
Also, the campaign versions will have updated scenarios since players seldom/never (?) report any issues with single scenarios.

You can play campaign scenarios as single scenarios by moving them into the My Games...Scenarios folder, but you need to add resources for purchasing core units.

Ctrl c to open console.
Try [shift]+[c]

#warbonds +- x
+- x resources
There can only be one :)

george35

Post by george35 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:37 am

First of all just a big thank you to Erik for these great campaigns! I love OOB and these have helped me to continue playing whilst waiting for the next DLC.

One question, I am in the middle of the German Grand Campaign v.2.7. If I update to v3.0 will I have to start the whole campaign again or will it pick up from the last saved scenario? Sorry if this has been asked before but i have trawled and could not find it.

Thank you

GabeKnight
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by GabeKnight » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:13 pm

george35 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:37 am
One question, I am in the middle of the German Grand Campaign v.2.7. If I update to v3.0 will I have to start the whole campaign again or will it pick up from the last saved scenario? Sorry if this has been asked before but i have trawled and could not find it.
Usually, there's no need to restart the campaign. The updated files will be used when starting the next scenario or if you click the "restart scenario" button in the options menu.

george35

Post by george35 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:18 pm

GabeKnight wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:13 pm
george35 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:37 am
Usually, there's no need to restart the campaign. The updated files will be used when starting the next scenario or if you click the "restart scenario" button in the options menu.
Thank you GabeKnight.

WarHomer

Post by WarHomer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:01 am

Did the new heroes from Panzerkrieg get added to the Grand Campaign?

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:03 am

WarHomer

Sorry, I can't remember if I added them :oops:

WarHomer

Post by WarHomer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:24 pm

Re. The Grand Campaign, the heroes from panzerkrieg wasn´t added the last time I played it, but this is some time ago (3-4 months I think). Can anybody verify if they are in yet?

Re. Desert Rats. I tried this again this weekend and this time around I found the begining much more compelling. I´m at mission 4 now and enjoying it.

Re. mission 4 there are some Italian airfields behind the British lines, this must be a mistake, right?

Don´t yet know how I feel about all the given core units. For a first time playthrough it might be fine and enjoyable, but this might hinder replayability and diversification. Also I´m already at mission 4 and have alot of core units.

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:07 pm

WarHomer, thanks for reporting.

Desert Rats:
The Italian airstrips were supposed to spawn if the Italians captured Buq Buq or Mersa Matruh.
Fixed the triggers.

After you have finished the campaign ( :D ), tell me if you still think you have too many core units.

Link updated in first post.

WarHomer

Post by WarHomer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:49 am

At mission 9 (Tobruk) now in Desert Rats and still enjoying it.

Some of the maps are too big though. Mission 4 and 6 you only use around one quarter of the map and mission 9 is simply overwhelming.

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:54 pm

4Operazione E and 6Operation Compass:
These maps are actually already reduced a fait bit.
It is only possible to shave another 2-3 hexes off the top, bottom and the left map edges.
This because of the historical airfields located NW and SE.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”