Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Erik's campaigns

Post by CHXII1697 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:12 pm

GabeKnight wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:23 pm
Bobster66 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:21 pm
Just played the new Maubeuge Scenario in Germany West 1939-40 and it was pretty good. Neither of the Secondary Objectives are working though, Destroy all Allied Air and Armour. The count shows zero units remaining but does not show as complete.
You probably have to wait for the scen to end for them objectives to validate (?)
I agree with Gabe. I think I reported this one before and Erik fixed it. Maginot should be the only scenario left in Germany 39-40 with broken secondaries. The others should show up as completed when you finish the scenario.

Bobster66
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Bobster66 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:20 am

GabeKnight wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:23 pm
Bobster66 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:21 pm
Just played the new Maubeuge Scenario in Germany West 1939-40 and it was pretty good. Neither of the Secondary Objectives are working though, Destroy all Allied Air and Armour. The count shows zero units remaining but does not show as complete.
You probably have to wait for the scen to end for them objectives to validate (?)
The scenario ended as a Minor Victory with neither objective showing as complete.

CHXII1697 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:12 pm
I agree with Gabe. I think I reported this one before and Erik fixed it. Maginot should be the only scenario left in Germany 39-40 with broken secondaries. The others should show up as completed when you finish the scenario.

OK, I see. You reported this on March 21st but the latest version is March 16th, so Erik just needs to complete his update.

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:51 am

Erik got Maubeuge sec objs on his to-do list.

ColonelY
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by ColonelY » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:19 am

Hey, another list can be opened; but there's no hurry at all! 8)

ROAD TO MOSCOW campaign…

Great job, thanks! :D

I’ve played through all scenarios of this nice campaign. It was great, but I must admit that I personally prefer smaller maps... :roll:
Here are the points I’ve noticed. Some are detailing, some aren’t. There are quite a few comments, so good luck reading all this. :wink: Anyway, here it is:

FIRST, MY FEEDBACK:
Scenarios 1&2 -> ok!
-> Crossroad after the second scenario (Smolensk)... title text: "Desicions" !? What about "Decision" instead? (And, as you've seen, I don't think the plural is required... as it is presented, if I'm not mistaken, there is a single choice: Directly towards Moscow or not!)

& Crossroad text: "You have the opportunity to go for broke by selecting the hypotethical Dorektive 35 scenario. [...] Direktive 35 will be followed by [...] The other scenario will take you along the long road via Kiev."
Replace "Dorektive" by "Direktive" and as well the last "scenario" by "choice", which would sounds more appropriated...
Scenario 3 (Guderian):

-> I've thought first again at another counter issue... Primary obj.: locations to capture/hold starts at 1/8 whereas the 9 locations shown (by red arrows) are clearly in Soviet hands...
Then I think, by correlation with the briefing about "Yelna and avoid entrapment" and by seeing the star above the flag over Yelna (which starts in our German hands!), that actually the counter is correct and that the missing thing is "just" a red arrow over our Yelna once scrolling through the now 10 (!) primary capture points...

-> Briefing 1/4: "Moscow or the Ukraine? The Road to Moscow has become progressively more difficult with the appearance of the newly formed Soviet 29th 30th 24th and 28th Armies east of Smolensk, backed by the 34th, 31st, 32nd 33rd and 43rd Armies in reserve." -> some "," should be added between these as well: "Soviet 29th 30th 24th and 28th Armies"...

-> As it is, the last part of the briefing may be somehow OVERANXIOUSING... because there is not much Soviet reinforcment coming from the SW nor much reduction of our LCP...
But I think the briefing itself shouldn't this time be modified. Here is why:
I've checked with "#orbitalcommand" at the end of the last turn and there were few Soviet infantry units at the south-western corner of the map (unsupplied although I've done nothing against them!) and apparently just sitting there... Plus another reinforcing Soviet Army was there near the south-eastern border of the map, with artillery, paratroopers, more infantry, etc.
=> Those two Soviet groups, are they not supposed to do something at some point? (But not too soon, of course...)
1. Maybe the first group (with few supplies!) starting to move northwards to really threaten our starting area and thus making the end of the briefing more relevant.
(Otherwise the player won't probably ever see them at all: there is indeed no location to capture or something in this southern area, so there is no reason to send troops towards the SW of the map - and even less reason because one know of the possibility of reinforcements, so troops within this sector... Why taking risks for nothing?)
2. Maybe the second army could start to move northwards or following a more western approach, who knows...
Is this what is sometimes called "orphan units"?

-> By the way, as we can't deploy all our aircrafts within this scenario (why?), then what about adding one or two air exit points... so that, once finished dealing with Soviet air units, our fighters can be replaced by bombers (much more efficients once the air superiority is assured)...
Scenario 4 (Kiev):

-> Scenario descr: "[...] 6th, 12th and 18th Armies ." -> maybe one small space to remove in order to have "[...] 6th, 12th and 18th Armies."

-> Scenario brief.: "[...] therby encling [...]" -> encling or encircling?

-> More LCP? (A handful of them would be welcome, as we can't deploy all our land units, I mean all our starting units plus the few units that have been bought within previous scenarios.)

-> Curious thing happened to me: The town of Shostka returns under Soviet control without the spawning of any unit in this one, whereas all surrounding region is controlled by Germans... it was a bit weird; at the same time a soviet unit has taken a town north to Shostka, thus making few German troops out of supply due to this, and directly the flag changes over Shostka... Could this have happened "just" because these German units were cut off supplies maybe before the German flag was fully flying over Shostka (as it takes time to rise)?
Scenario 5 (Vyazma):

-> Briefing - spacing issue (details anyway, but still)...
Original text: "Your mission in to capture Vyazma and Bryansk, continue your advance to the Mozhiask Line = key objectves Kalinin - Volokoamsk - Mozhiask - Maloyroslavets -Tula. |Use this as an opportunity to surround the Soviet Armies that are defending . The scenario starts with the 'rasputitsa' rain and mud that reduces German combat effectiveness and supply. Time is of the essence."
1. Add a space before Tula (i.e. "[...] Maloyroslavets - Tula.")
2. Remove a space here (before the point): "[...] that are defending ."
3. Remove the double space before "mud", so here: "[...] rain and mud that [...]" => "[...] rain and mud that [...]"
Scenario 6 (Gates):

-> Nice event about partisans, but the text says: "Several Soviet formtions"... instead this, what about "Several Soviet formations"?
Scenario 7 (Counter):

-> Briefing: "But Abwehr has confirmed that the Soviets are launching a counteroffensive." -> only one space (before "Abwehr") would be better: "But Abwehr has confirmed that [...]"
-> Primary objective (Smolensk): "Once the Soviets capture it, the objective is lost," -> Ah, really? Well, what about something like: "If the Soviets manage to capture this city, it would then mean that our offensive is simply on overall a failure!"
-> Several airfields don't have a flag, but it may be on purpose? (Why?)

Normal difficulty (level 3):
On turn 16, without having lost any single objective (no a single one having actually been threatened anyway!), most of the map is cleared from enemies and Moscow has been recaptured... Then, on turn 36, all the map belongs to the Germans and no more enemy on map at all...

-> Must we then really wait until the 61st turn for the scenario to finish?
Well, I know that 1 Infantry unit will spawn at turn 55 and some Partisans from turn 45 to turn 48 (having looked at the triggers!) - by the way the trigger for withdrawal has not been activated in my battle, because the Soviets had no troop left to retreat anyway!
Have I been too agressive as defender?

(I like the idea of having several Partisans involved, by the way!)

Suggestions:
1. What about (really!) reinforcing the garrison of Moscow? (As it starts again in Soviet hands anyway, so why not?)
2. What about letting these units spawn sooner? (So no longer around turns 45-48 and 55, but maybe 20 turns sooner or something... so that they could, at least, have a chance to somehow impact the battle!)
3. What about adding another primary objective, something like "Recapture Moscow once and for all" - an objective whose completion may end the scenario at the end of the turn already (with this info precised within the objective description, of course!)... (Again, I see no point in waiting 25 turns with no more enemy on map - except the few that will spawn now really late... And it will be coherent with the campaign Victory text: "the Kremlin is ours"... ok, precisely, so if it's important - and it is - then it should be mentionned before as well, through this new objective, can't it?)
Scenario 8 (Directive):

-> Briefing: You mention the AGC... So, what about adding a small reminder? Maybe something like "AGC (= Army Group Center)", or with a "i.e." instead of the "=" or something...

-> There are 6 "strange" deploy hexes already on Soviet territory: on 2 Soviet towns on the South (Mglin and Pogar, straight south from Roslavl), 1 hex in the extreme south of the map, 2 hexes on the North (not on town)... all those spots looks unsupplied, but may still be used by some land recon unit (so far behind the Soviet frontline?!), so it's fine I guess...
But the 6th of those deploy hexes on Soviet territory is exactly ON THE SOVIET AIRFIELD just East from two German towns (Shlobin and another) -> so this airfield can directly be captured during the deployment phasis? Seriously, I think it would be better to remove just this last one...

-> As we have an aux regular inf named "Smolensk Garrison", what about adding another primary objective to never lose Smolensk... (as in a previous scenario) - even if Smolensk is, as it is now, really unlikely to be threatened, from a RPG point of vue it may be nice.

-> There are some Partisans, which is nice... but then, several of theses units could be added together with another sec obj to eliminate at least THAT MANY of them and maybe with a 100 RP reward. Again, it would be like another scenario for this and would add more flavor and objectives...

-> Once the initial frontline defenses are crushed, the rest isn't a problem... Major Victory achieved at turn 30 (out of the 59 allowed)!
Scenario 9 (Counter2):

-> Briefing: Well, I assume that we are preparing defenses (and not prepering them)...

-> Pri. obj. descr: About Smolensk, should be modified as before (scen. 7), to be a little more developped.
About Moscow, the same (completed) description than about Smolensk could be added for more flavor/coherence...

-> Sec. obj.: I assure there is a red arrow missing because it's written 14/8 and I only manage to find 13 red arrows...

-> The airfield just east of Moscow has no flag nor deploy hexes?! Is it on purpose?

-> There is a flag with a yellow star over the Soviet town of Verkhov'ye although it's not an objective to capture or something?

-> The Soviets groups in the SE aren't able to threaten any single sec obj... maybe let them move more aggressively towards the NW?

-> Again, it's a bit strange to have to wait until the end of the scenario (61 turns):
Turn 25 (lvl 3): all the northern part mine + closing on Skopin (extreme East) + Stuka-bombing Verkhov'ye and its surroundings...
Turn 35: town of Lipetsk taken; Turn 43: town of Alekseyavka (top SE)...

-> Really nice picture for the Partisans spawning event... but this event came just when all the map flies the German flag! So very too late to be useful... It should come around maybe 15-25 turns sooner!
By the way, choosing the short road straight towards Moscow means that there will be less battles, but as well that all specs can't be unlocked and that our units will gain less XP... but it's fine because it's coherent! :D

THEN, A LITTLE RESEARCH ON HISTORICAL ASPECTS:

1. Well, let’s have a quick look at this link: https://www.rbth.com/history/329629-5-l ... acts-about

Of these 5 little known facts, 3 can in my opinion be used to enrich this great campaign:

• Soviet soldiers fought on British tanks => :idea: Some Matilda and Valentine tanks (maybe 1 unit of each of them) may be added on the outskirts of Moscow (each time it will be relevant, so maybe in the 4 last scenarios, so in 06Gates, 07Counter, 08Directive and 09Counter2)!
(Maybe with an event explaining this at the first encounter with one of these, in 06Gates and in 08Directive… There is already a picture within the link, together with some elements for the text of this event!)
+ Some Hawker Hurricane and Curtiss Tomahawk! :idea: (But ALL these units under the Soviet flag, of course!)

• Soviet aviation bombed Berlin to avenge Moscow => :idea: This may appear “simply” as an event at the right time (there is already a picture; as for the text, the one of the site to be used as a basis of inspiration... completed by this one: https://www.rbth.com/history/328995-sov ... omb-berlin; indeed, in some scenarios one can see a massive amount of Soviet bombers – so this event may even consist to somehow introduce this and warn the player about a possible issue with this as the Soviet air force is not yet down… I suggest for this an event at the beginning of the scenarios 03Guderian and 08Directive – it could instead be put as a campaign event just before this choice, but there is precisely already the crossroad, so…)

• Siberian divisions came to defend Moscow => :idea: This may consist mainly in another nice event… I don’t think that much units have to be added, although it’s perfectly possible to add several new infantry units with “Siberian (something)” as name around or eastwards of Moscow… For scenarios 07Counter and 09Counter2 but maybe already for 06Gates and 08Directive (for these units) – but not two times the same event on the same campaign for the player, of course!

2. Do you know that the 33rd Soviet Army consisted mainly in 5 divisions of “Moscow People’s Militia”? Therefore, what about adding eastwards of Moscow several units of “Volunteer fighters” with this name of “Moscow People’s Militia”? :idea:

Well, I think it's more or less all I can provide now about this campaign!
:D

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:18 pm

ColonelY, I've ceated a Moscow-list for your benefit.
Thanks for reporting.

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:07 pm

Erik, I'd like to put Wacht Am Rhein into the community crate in the near future.

Would you be okay for me to do that? Do you know if anyone's played it on the most recent patches?

Thanks!

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:41 pm

Shards wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:07 pm
Erik, I'd like to put Wacht Am Rhein into the community crate in the near future.

Would you be okay for me to do that? Do you know if anyone's played it on the most recent patches?

Thanks!
I have report from a player with a couple of minor issues.
Let me take a look at the campaign and hopefully fix these. I may even add a few more bernd's US commanders...
I'll get back to you.

Edit: I'm back :D
The current campaign is 'strictly' historical with the players starting with historical core units, ie no purchases.
How about I create a version of the campaign where the player purchases his core units?
Then the 'content' version will have something different. Interested?

Shards
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Shards » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:18 pm

Erik2 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:41 pm
Shards wrote:

Thanks!
Let me take a look at the campaign and hopefully fix these. I may even add a few more bernd's US commanders...
I'll get back to you.

The current campaign is 'strictly' historical with the players starting with historical core units, ie no purchases.
How about I create a version of the campaign where the player purchases his core units?
Sounds great!

Always nice to have something new for people!

Igor1941
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Igor1941 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:56 pm

Erik2 wrote:
Shards wrote:

Thanks!
I'll get back to you.

Spain (1936-1939)?

Igor1941
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Igor1941 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:56 pm

Igor1941 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:56 pm
Erik2 wrote:
Shards wrote:

Thanks!
I'll get back to you.

Spain (1936-1939) ?

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:00 am

I do have plans for creating a Spanish Civil War campaign using LNDavoust's mod.
But that is way into the future.

Chema_cagi
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Chema_cagi » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:34 pm

Erik2 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:00 am
I do have plans for creating a Spanish Civil War campaign using LNDavoust's mod.
But that is way into the future.
That's biggest news ever

Mascarenhas
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Mascarenhas » Fri May 01, 2020 11:50 am

I hope very dearly, Erik, that you release the French campaign first.

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Fri May 01, 2020 1:06 pm

BrucErik studio will tackle the Free French first. Note that this campaign will probably take a fair amount of time to finish.

Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas » Wed May 06, 2020 9:13 pm

Allies 44-45 (GK Mod) Operation Cobra

Hi Erik, while profiting from GK intense mod, I got to this phase, reached all objectives, but only got a draw. It should be a major. Can u check it, please?
Refards

Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas » Thu May 07, 2020 2:20 am

The same happened in the next battle, Brittany. All tasks fulfilled, I got even the extra prize, but, in the end, a draw again.

Erik2

Germany West 1939-40

Post by Erik2 » Thu May 07, 2020 11:12 am

This original large campaigns have been split into 2 campaigns.
Germany West 1939-40 deals with the invasion of Poland, Denmark and Norway.
Germany West 1940 deals with the invasion of France and the Low Countries.
Links updated/added in first post.

Changes:
Germany commanders are now added as secondary object rewards.
German at start aux units replaced with resources and command points whenever possible.
Increased AI task aggressions form default 50 to 75 wherever applicable.
Minor changes to various scenarios.

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Thu May 07, 2020 11:32 am

Mascarenhas wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 9:13 pm
Allies 44-45 (GK Mod) Operation Cobra

Hi Erik, while profiting from GK intense mod, I got to this phase, reached all objectives, but only got a draw. It should be a major. Can u check it, please?
Refards
Which campaign and scenario...?

Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas » Thu May 07, 2020 12:11 pm

US Corps 44-45; Avranches and Britanny. Sorry.

Navman2854
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Germany West 1939-40

Post by Navman2854 » Thu May 07, 2020 3:06 pm

Erik2 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:12 am
This original large campaigns have been split into 2 campaigns.
Germany West 1939-40 deals with the invasion of Poland, Denmark and Norway.
Germany West 1940 deals with the invasion of France and the Low Countries.
Links updated/added in first post.

Changes:
Germany commanders are now added as secondary object rewards.
German at start aux units replaced with resources and command points whenever possible.
Increased AI task aggressions form default 50 to 75 wherever applicable.
Minor changes to various scenarios.
Erik, downloaded and installed the updates, both seen properly in Campaigns folder. Open game, go to Campaigns tab and the Custom Content option, the Germany West 1940 is seen but not the 1939-40. All other custom campaigns I've installed are also seen.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”