Germany Grand Campaign

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Brainy
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Germany Grand Campaign

Post by Brainy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:06 pm

No need to apologize, my friend, you solved my problem. When you mentioned just now that they were large maps and took a longer time to load, you answered it for me. My computer also took a longer time to load these saves and maps, and there is a noticeable delay when they do, and also after I hit escape to leave, and confirm exit to desktop, almost as if it was lagging. At the time which I found strange because my computer, can just about get up and slice bread by itself. So its the 64-bit, and now I don't know the answer to fix it either, so I guess I move back to MoW AS2 until well whenever.

Thanks, Gabeknight, I couldn't have done it without you.

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:10 pm

I'm sorry about your PC/scenarios issues, but i'm also relieved that these fixed scenarios stay like that (for now, anyway).
This game is quite hungry on RAM. This is especially noted when trying to load large maps. I still have crashes when playing several multiplayer games in a row. And I've got a new, powerful PC/graphics card.

Horst
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Horst » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:29 pm

I also got sometimes trouble loading large scenarios that quickly, in particular reloading a savegame. I've noticed that restarting the whole game somehow speeds up the loading. Maybe there is still a memory issue in the game.

About Oslo again: the northern airfield needs something like a depot next to the airfield which is fed by supply points over time. No idea how the new supply planes are triggered in Panzerkrieg. Maybe it's possible to copy that mechanic somehow too.
Next, you only have two infantry units for the south-western side, but not a single one to deal with the south-eastern coast with Fredrikstad. The city was camped by three infantry units which was simply too much for non-para inf to handle without the many naval support before if they get constantly repaired. On the northern region, you definitely had way too many landing troops.
Oh, and I had a bad typo in my last post: I was disappointed that you CAN'T hire Erik as Field Marshall of course. Actually, I was expecting a 5-star heavy infantry dude guarding his house there. I had to use the #overtime cheat to finish all objectives, hence I also had time with my Pz.1 unit to rumble through your house. :P
I think the map is a degree too large as scale. While it feels nice with ground units to venture around, the distances for aircrafts are simple too large. I wish you had at least a single Bf 110 in the northern region to defend your transport planes and ground units. I wasted too much fuel in the southern region to still fly to the North.

Igor1941
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Igor1941 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:37 am

This is mistake? Or is everything right?

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:39 am

Horst, didn't you spot my two great danes running around barking. Don't need any more security than that :wink:

As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm taking a fresh look at Oslo. Thanks for reporting.

Igor1941

Post by Igor1941 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:46 am

Igor1941 wrote:Image

the campaign ends here?

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:55 am

If you mean the result, the game gives you a draw if you are missing one primary objective.
Or do you mean you captured the last one and still got a draw?
Which scenario is this?

Igor1941

Post by Igor1941 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:57 am

Erik2 wrote:

If you mean the result, the game gives you a draw if you are missing one primary objective.
Or do you mean you captured the last one and still got a draw?
Which scenario is this?
All captured, the company is over ...

Igor1941

Post by Igor1941 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:59 am

Scenario Moscow

Igor1941

Post by Igor1941 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:01 am

Horst
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Horst » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:34 pm

13Eben: "Get an additional Ju 87 B" reward doesn't exist for completing the "Capture both Belgian airfields" secondary.

GabeKnight
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by GabeKnight » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:37 pm

Thank you for taking over the reporting part, Horst! :) :wink:

Horst
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Horst » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:45 pm

Gabe, just cleaning up behind you! :P
Coming closer to your 15Haag. I'm going to recheck what you wrote about your supply plane mechanic. I hate loosing FJs there.

Horst
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Horst » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:29 pm

14Albert: you forgot to make all "don’t loose x" secondaries be completed right from start, otherwise you only get a minor victory in the end should the player still manage to keep all alive. No green secondary checks, no major victory!

I’ve added my own ideas to Gabe’s 15Haag version before I played through it:
- removed German para transport plane spawn, and placed the paras fully entrenched on the newly named and flagged drop zone hexes, otherwise you could easily fly them to safety to prevent losses. There are only 5 paratroopers instead of 6 now, as there wasn’t enough supply, and I didn’t want to add more. Their full entrenchment makes them durable enough for some turns, but the player shouldn’t dawdle to relieve them as before
- Ockenburg and Ypenburg airfields start neutral but will change to German on turn 1 to prevent aircraft placement during deployment phase. Also removed their nearby air-deployment hexes, as you can’t place core paratroopers in transport planes there anyway. You can still place aircraft on turn 1 there, but that isn’t advised with reduced effectiveness
- removed non-flagged supply points
- supply points with flags distributed according to Dutch population of 1940, harbours and airfields: Rotterdam 62, Den Haag 50+20, Utrecht 16, and some other minor settlements next to harbours (20) and airfields (10)
- replaced Dutch Landstorm with Dutch Heavy Infantry on primary city hexes, Dutch Infantry on other hexes with supply while keeping their AI team defense settings
- moved aux Bf-110 away from the German airfield to make room for own core aircraft and for possible core paratrooper airlifting, including adding a ground+air deployment hex on the airfield
- enabled aircraft off-map supply option, so the player doesn’t need to bother about the airfields’ status
- added more air-redeployment hexes for Germany
- added more supply points on the German main-redeployment hex to protect it better against strategic bombing (which should still be very unlikely against the AI)
- added a missing Rotterdam text to a city-hex
Attachments
15Haag.7z
(7.89 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

GabeKnight
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by GabeKnight » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:45 pm

Looks good, Horst. To be honest, I think I never actually deployed the paras near the airfields in campaign mode, always seemed like suicide with those tanks and tons of inf. rushing in. Played just now outside of the campaign, and with unexperienced units and without commanders, with the bridges blowing (some even at deployment stage), I failed miserably to rescue them. They were just overrun by armour, inf., ship arty, ordinary arty and AT-guns... :D After losing about 4 paratroopers, I gave up, my supply lines looked overstretched and the enemy counter-attack was just about to happen on my flank. Will try another approach tomorrow. But so far, everything looks good and works as intended. Nice work. Challenge accepted! :D

dominik76
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by dominik76 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:16 am

Brainy wrote:as unfortunately for me, I cannot continue my Grand Campaign, as of right now, because the Narvik map still shows up as a full-screen 2D editor map with no functioning controls, so I sit there with no way to set up and deploy my forces. I always go back and replay the last turn of Sjaelland, receive my major victory and spend some new ability points on 8 hex radar for naval units, then advance, but always with the same results. How is it that everyone else chatting here is past this game ruining experience ?? Is there anyway to skip this ?
same here stuck on Norway and can't move any further. Can anyone take a look? Played scenario and it works fine but in campaign ( GGC 2.0) instead of briefing it displays a tactical map and it stucks there in all 4 scenarios. Tried nuke campaign to this point and game works fine, in danish campaign I upgraded fleet and bought few submarines. Is that maybe a problem because I have to many ships( units)?

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:27 pm

All Norway scenarios work for me in the campaign. Just tested again.
This is on v5.2.3, PC, non-steam.

dominik76

Post by dominik76 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:37 pm

Will try again with no cheats maybe then it will work. thx

GabeKnight
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by GabeKnight » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:27 pm

"15Haag" (Horst's version :) )

Okay, real tough one, but achievable even out of the campaign. Needed about three different approaches to succeed, but if the paras survived turn 5-6, I quit, the rest was doable then. Still couldn't play it as intended, meaning: those paratroopers standing ground and holding the airports and surviving all of this... I had to retreat with all paras and using real fast Blitzkrieg tactics to advance with my main core forces from the south to Rotterdam at the same time, connecting supply. Couldn't hold the airport supply hexes neither way. By end of turn 3-4 all of this had to be done, because there's no chance of survival for the paras after that with that many enemy reinforcements arriving.

How did you do it?

My initial thinking about the "10" supply was this: At any previous attempt, holding the fresh landed paras (efficiency loss) on the "open terrain" hexes (the only supply source) with fresh enemy inf. and ARMOUR rushing in (as said: open terrain!), never succeeded. The best chance of survival are those forrest hexes near Ypenburg airfield or to escape south. Either way a joining of forces was neccessary, which always resulted in losing some of the supply hexes to the enemy. So, with at least 20 supply on either airfield a survival of 5 paras (each 4 supply) was possible for those players, who were bold enough to try this approach. I'd figured, with lower difficulty levels or a good use of commanders and airforces (with the previous 3 air deploy hexes there, which you removed :) ) it should have been possible to achieve the sec. objective the way it was originally intended.

further observations:
- I should've placed the JU supply plane's spawn location at least one hex further west as to be able to reach both airfields within 2 turns. My fault
- and we both overlooked the possibiliy of a sec. obj. supply flight *failed* event. What if one supply plane gets shot down? Granted, an "open" objective counts as failed technically, but still...
- in this regard, maybe the "Dutch Activations / Zone-3" trigger shouldn't activate the AI counter-attack that soon already (turn 5, maybe?)
- more air-redeployment hexes? Didn't *you* write this? :P :wink:
Horst wrote:I think these exit points are still a little bit unfair compared to airfields as you can repair and return to the battlefield in the same turn.
Last edited by GabeKnight on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GabeKnight
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by GabeKnight » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:49 pm

dominik76 wrote:Will try again with no cheats maybe then it will work. thx
That really shoudn't matter, as the amount of your troops, neither. The scenarios are loaded individually one after another, if inside a campaign or with single scenario mode, either way.

I have no problems loading the four Norway missions inside the campaign. Maybe it's a 32/64-bit issue again or your computer just lacks the required processing power (?)

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”