The "Gabe-Mod" (v8.4.4)

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Re: The "Gabe-Mod" (WIP)

Post by ColonelY »

GabeKnight wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:03 pm Colonel, I tested your idea and liked it. I'm keeping it in my mod.
As mentioned before, a high shock effect would be too much, but 10% is okay. Snipers act as little camouflaged mobile arty units now. Finally a solid reason to use them in my core. Thanks. :)
You're welcome. :D

And I think, too, that snipers should have some (low) mech. attack stats. :wink:

By the way, it's great to have a new Finnish unit and it's really a nice idea to add the "bombard" ability to the fortresses and the heavy infantry mortar barrage. Thanks a lot. 8)
rafdobrowolski
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: The "Gabe-Mod" (v8.1.0)

Post by rafdobrowolski »

Gabe, did you post a new link to your mod with the recent updates menioted inthe last few days, or is it the same link dated "20190919" in the first post? Or is there no link and these are just proposals for mods yet to be incorporated?
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

terminator wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:54 pm Yes, Sniper should have some mech. attack stats(1-3, more vehicle close attack than vehicle attack).
[...]
Trucks are considered mechanical units. It’s very frustrating to be in front of a vehicle and not be able to do anything at all.
Proposal: vehicle attack=1, vehicle close attack=2
If we did that vehicle attack=0, vehicle close attack=1 I don’t know what it would look like?
ColonelY wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:49 pm And I think, too, that snipers should have some (low) mech. attack stats. :wink:
Convinced. The situation with the truck was just about right to change my mind; I've also encountered it and it felt wrong to be able to shoot at AT units and not the truck-transports.

:arrow: Added mech.attack=1 to the Snipers.

So far all's working alright. I'm keeping it.
(FYI: the 0-1 attack value does work, but with no damage; I guess 70% of zero is still zero :wink: )
GabeKnight wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:30 pm BTW, by adding the bombard trait to the heavy infantry, they've adapted the arty mechanic and are losing efficiency when firing mortar. I'm still not sure how I feel about that - and if I'm able to get rid of it. On the other hand, mortar barrels run hot, too...
I've played some scens with it, and I'm slowly beginning to grow fond of than mechanic. I've always hated it, when some enemy heavy inf. unit was hiding in a forest two hexes away and "mortar-barraged" the hell out of one of my entrenched units/bunkers for 3-4 turns (or more); just to attack them with full-efficiency later on. No more.
rafdobrowolski wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:19 pm Gabe, did you post a new link to your mod with the recent updates menioted inthe last few days, or is it the same link dated "20190919" in the first post? Or is there no link and these are just proposals for mods yet to be incorporated?
Those proposals are only incorporated in my version of the mod on my computer at the moment. :)
After a testing phase and some more additions (at the very least the Soviets need some additional AA/AT switch modes) I'll update the download link of the mod.
To be honest, I wanted to do the update to OoB v8.3 much earlier this year... :oops:
By now, I'm rather speculating to wait for the RedSteel update to release an updated version of my mod (to prevent duplicate work).
Mascarenhas
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by Mascarenhas »

Can't wait ... This mod is very good, but you're right: better wait for the next general update.

Regards,
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

The final Soviet AA/AT additions, as planned:

- 37mm M1939 AT
- 85mm M1939 AT
- GAZ-MM 25mm AT

Although these are still missing the stats and weapon effects.

Now all that's left to do in the mod is some testing, more stat tweaking and bug fixing/corrections.

Because of the ongoing virus paranoia I have to stay at home for the next four weeks, as everything's closed "by state decree". I'd really appreciate the RedSteel DLC getting published soon. :wink:

Screenshot 64_2.jpg
Screenshot 64_2.jpg (888.61 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas »

How many deaths more you need to distinguish between "paranoia" and pandemics, Knight? Your attitude is disrespectful and disgusting.
Zekedia222
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Zekedia222 »

He can view it as whatever he wants. Personally, I view it as more than just paranoia, but there is no reason to call him disrespectful or disgusting.
Klinger, you're dumber than you look, and THAT boggles the MIND.
- Charles Emerson Winchester III
Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas »

In your own terms, I can view his opinion as I regard. And I still see it as very much inappropriate and disrespectful. To brand such a catastrophe as paranoia is so irrational that makes me feel disgust.
Zekedia222

Post by Zekedia222 »

Its hardly a catastrophe. It was entirely preventable. It is entirely predictable that, in our interconnected world, its going to spread. Yet people are so dumbfounded when exactly that happened. People dismissed it, and then it happened. The real catastrophe has yet to come. That will be when it starts spreading around more... disadvantaged nations. The DRC won’t have the same capacity to fight it as, say, the US. I’m bracing for when that happens, not when it spreads around Italy or Oregon.
Klinger, you're dumber than you look, and THAT boggles the MIND.
- Charles Emerson Winchester III
Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas »

On that you´re quite right, I´m afraid.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Call me crazy, but I've spent about 6-7 hours on the Armoured Train model just to finally have all three switch mode models ready for modding. Finally I can make different textures for different nations. Finally I can rest.
Thanks, Admiral, for all your preliminary help with that.

And yes, all three turrets rotate toward the enemy...
And yes, all three turrets rotate toward the enemy...
Screenshot 68.jpg (889.91 KiB) Viewed 2004 times

(Well, I still have to create/paint the textures first, of course)
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Rechecked and reworked many AT/AA units' effect sequences. I just hated the AA units using the same animation for air and ground combat. All those exploding FlaK shells didn't feel right in AT mode. I mean, they would change the shells to some AT/HE rounds, would they not?

And as I created the Finnish 40mm Bofors AT version already - now with the model at hand - I realized that it's been used by many other nations as well, and therefore I decided to create AT switches for all nations using that unit. Those are US, Brits (two versions Mk.I and Mk.III), Germany (captured reward unit, I guess), Finland, Poland, Norway and Belgium. Effectively I have about 80 new units to look after in my mod now... :?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, I have too much free time at the moment... :lol:

The effort was quite modest, and to be honest...the gain remains to be seen. :roll:
But I know that the AI can utilize the added/modded switch modes unproblematically, so it may change some of the Blitzkrieg scens, for example.

Screenshot 69.jpg
Screenshot 69.jpg (711.21 KiB) Viewed 1968 times
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Finally fully implemented the Sherman Crab model. Using only a few sources, I came up with these stats:

Available from 03/1944 with stats of the usual M4A models of that time, using the 75mm gun and some MGs. I've read that some armament had to be removed due to the mine removal equipment, so I reduces the inf. attack a little. Added mine removal trait. Unlocked for the US and the Brits by "Lend Lease Act" spec.

Suggestions as always welcome.

Screenshot 71.jpg
Screenshot 71.jpg (387.49 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
Igor1941
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Igor1941 »

GabeKnight wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:40 am Finally fully implemented the Sherman Crab model. Using only a few sources, I came up with these stats:

Available from 03/1944 with stats of the usual M4A models of that time, using the 75mm gun and some MGs. I've read that some armament had to be removed due to the mine removal equipment, so I reduces the inf. attack a little. Added mine removal trait. Unlocked for the US and the Brits by "Lend Lease Act" spec.

Suggestions as always welcome.

Screenshot 71.jpg
September 12 1942, before the generals Harold R.L. Alexander, Bernard Montgomery and Leslie Morshead A demonstration took place by
After the second battle of El Alamein, the drum rotor was slightly modified so that it could be raised and lowered using hydraulic cylinders so that the tank got better mobility.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobart%E2%80%99s_Funnies
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Igor1941 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:40 am September 12 1942, before the generals Harold R.L. Alexander, Bernard Montgomery and Leslie Morshead A demonstration took place by
After the second battle of El Alamein, the drum rotor was slightly modified so that it could be raised and lowered using hydraulic cylinders so that the tank got better mobility.
Thanks for the input, but the Wiki article is about the Matilda/Valentine "Scorpion" models, right? The early development/prototype models of the rotating chain mechanic - not the Sherman Crab specifically. I've used this source for example.
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Sounds great; I look forward to trying it out soon... :D
ADMIRAL3
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ADMIRAL3 »

Hi GabeKnight I really appreciate your Mod. Simply outstanding and giving new appeal to this top game. Do you plan forthcoming upgrades or do you refresh sistematically the link at the first post?
Tyvm
Igor1941
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Igor1941 »

GabeKnight wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:22 pm
Igor1941 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:40 am September 12 1942, before the generals Harold R.L. Alexander, Bernard Montgomery and Leslie Morshead A demonstration took place by
Thanks for the input, but the Wiki article is about the Matilda/Valentine "Scorpion" models, right? The early development/prototype models of the rotating chain mechanic - not the Sherman Crab specifically. I've used this source for example.

This is information for consideration. Nothing more
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Thanks, Admiral3 and Colonel, glad you like it.

To answer the question:
ADMIRAL3 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:58 am Do you plan forthcoming upgrades or do you refresh sistematically the link at the first post?
For the time being, I'm waiting for the RedSteel DLC/update to arrive to post my updated mod. It has gone through a major overhaul with many additions and changes since the last build, from september last year (wow, tempus fugit). So no, I did not upload any updates to my mod since.

Igor1941 wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:19 am This is information for consideration. Nothing more
Thanks!
ADMIRAL3
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ADMIRAL3 »

TY 4ur prompt response.Very clear. LBM

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”