The "Gabe-Mod" (v8.4.4)

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Haako
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: The "Gabe-Mod" (v7.1.6)

Post by Haako »

Horst wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:31 am A combination of jungle and mountain dead-zones can make supply routes slightly more difficult to maintain. I’ve also added the inhospitable trait to swamp, rough_desert, pine_forest, and the (Chinese) wall. Adding this even to forests would certainly destroy many scenarios like Huertgenwald and Ardennenoffensive, so I think my choice of the most disrupting terrain types is the tolerable limit.
In Blissful & Goodtime and Operation Cannibal you can see how this creates pretty mazes. The usual supply-bummers are the combinations of roads on jungle terrain, although many original maps I checked still offered a clear path to the important objectives and supplies.
Blissful&Goodtime.jpg
OperationCannibal.jpg
It’s slightly risky to generally use such feature for vanilla maps if you don’t know for sure what silly things the AI will do during a particular scenario.
In the example below, I have set three defensive positions with Defend Hex on the flag with distance 0. Sadly, most other inf units still danced around the flag stupidity, but at least one unit was ordered to occupy each defined position, especially the one to keep the supply route open. Without defensive positions, the AI would utterly fail in keeping the supply route to the left flag open.
Supply-Test.jpg
I wish that supply system could be further upgraded like on these screens of yours...

I currently playing Unity of Command with very smart and challenging supply system, where each hex type has own "supply capabilities". So, forest hexes can transport far less supply than plain hexes. With such solution you could avoid neutral ownership, which can give you intel about location of enemy units, as was mentioned. Nontheless, very interesting idea.

Maybe if devs could add another layer to supply system, where hex ownership isn't the only one condition to the flow of supply? Another would be linked to hex type? With such system, your troops will use supply that is in range - when deep in jungle, not all supply will be transported, even though you have ownership of large portion of a jungle and a big supply depot just outside green area. That will set a new angle for logistic (but probably will make AI life harder)
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: The "Gabe-Mod" (v8.1.0)

Post by Erik2 »

Supply depending on terrain type is a very good idea.
And if you add roads/rails as supply enhancers we would have a much better system.
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Erik / Haako wrote: Supply depending on terrain type is a very good idea.
Maybe I'm just lacking vision or experience with other, similar wargames, but I completely fail to see how this could work with the current OoB engine and supply system. Every hex would have its own supply value? Like when I press the "space" key I would see a map full of different numbers? Sorry, I just don't see how this is supposed to work without overcomplicating things...

And besides, at this advanced stage of the game, completely changing the supply mechanic would mess up every single DLC released up to date.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Sorry, I forgot. FYI:

There will be no real downside when playing OoB v8.3.0 with the current build of my mod. I did not change anything with the specs, you'll only be missing the newly added units for the upcoming RedSteel DLC, some minor stat changes and some unit fixes, which I've mostly done already. :wink:

For the next update of the mod to v8.3.0 (hopefully early next year):
- I've already completed both the Ger. Flammpanzer I and II units
- added Soviet commando units, added camouflaged transport (using the Minerva AC model)
- unlocked the US Sherman Crab model
- changed commanders range to max=2 hex
- minor correction/rework of some unit stats with vanilla units and my own additions
(- I've also planned doing some AA/AT switch variants for the Soviets)

And Happy Holidays, all! :D
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Nice! :D

And, by the way, I do like the idea of allowing the heavies to use their mortars against ships within their range. :wink:

What about giving to all the different snipers...

1. an actual range of 2 (like the mortars) instead of 1 and
2. some "shock" effect (of maybe 5, or even 10 like the engineers) !

Like this, I think they can be very much more dangerous... And it could still be historically fine, because: They use sniper rifle, thus are able to shoot accurately at greater distances, and they target mainly officers, thus causing some chaos and reducing the efficiency of the unit they're targeting. :wink:

And like this, these snipers will be less likely to be decimated as well. 8)

And from a RPG point of view, one coule have infantry units fighting in a street and a sniper a little further, on a roof or something, taking good shoots... or a sniper used more like a recon unit, seeing an opportunity, taking position 1-hex back to safety before taking its shot... :wink:
Zekedia222
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Zekedia222 »

3 inch mortar shells would do little to almost any ship.
Klinger, you're dumber than you look, and THAT boggles the MIND.
- Charles Emerson Winchester III
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

Yes, but in this case it's only +1 attack vs ships (0 -> 1)... so very few damage anyway, but it offers at least the possibility to take some shots! 8)

A patrol boat, for example, can take few shots on nearby land - with this, there is the possibility to do some land riposts as well... :wink:
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

ColonelY wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:20 pm What about giving to all the different snipers...

[...]
Actually, I like the range idea, as the sniper units already have flex-movement.

Your proposed shock effect is a bit high for ranged units, balance-wise IMO (cheap unit :arrow: either direct fire with high shock or ranged fire without :wink: ), but a value of 1-2 may be warranted.

I'll test it. Thanks for the input, ColonelY! :)
ColonelY
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by ColonelY »

You're welcome! :D Oh, and by the way, what about adding an american sniper unit as well as a british sniper unit? Because the BrucErik CSD Studio creates many awesome campaigns involving these factions... :wink:
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

ColonelY wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:24 pm Oh, and by the way, what about adding an american sniper unit as well as a british sniper unit?
I didn't do it (until now), because
1) I haven't played a campaign with those factions for a long time and thus haven't thought about adding new units to them ( :oops: ), and
2) the US and Brit factions already had commando units, the other main factions didn't. Therefore, in my opinion, they were not needed there.

I was planning to add some AT switch modes to the Soviet AA pieces. Those could come in handy, I think.
But with the upcoming Finnish campaign, I'll rather look over their unit roster first. 8)
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

40mm Bofors AT Finland
40mm Bofors AT Finland
Screenshot 48_2.jpg (455.22 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
GabeKnight

Re: The "Gabe-Mod" (WIP)

Post by GabeKnight »

ColonelY wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:20 pm What about giving to all the different snipers...

Like this, I think they can be very much more dangerous... And it could still be historically fine, because: They use sniper rifle, thus are able to shoot accurately at greater distances, and they target mainly officers, thus causing some chaos and reducing the efficiency of the unit they're targeting. :wink:

And from a RPG point of view, one coule have infantry units fighting in a street and a sniper a little further, on a roof or something, taking good shoots... or a sniper used more like a recon unit, seeing an opportunity, taking position 1-hex back to safety before taking its shot... :wink:
Colonel, I tested your idea and liked it. I'm keeping it in my mod.
As mentioned before, a high shock effect would be too much, but 10% is okay. Snipers act as little camouflaged mobile arty units now. Finally a solid reason to use them in my core. Thanks. :)

Also added the "bombard" ability to fortresses and the heavy infantry mortar barrage.

Screenshot 53.jpg
Screenshot 53.jpg (832.91 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
Zekedia222

Post by Zekedia222 »

Its surprising to me that mortars never had the bombardment feature. I never noticed it, but them having it makes perfect sense. They are, after all typically indirect fire weapons, that are meant to bombard. They are like the howitzers in CWG2.

I would disagree, too an extent, with additional range for snipers. They are effectively meant to harass enemy units, to hinder their movement. But then again, maybe it makes them more viable an option.
Last edited by Zekedia222 on Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klinger, you're dumber than you look, and THAT boggles the MIND.
- Charles Emerson Winchester III
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Zekedia222 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:57 pm I would disagree, too an extent with additional range for snipers
Yeah, they're a bit overpowered now. I have to adjust them a little. Definitely higher cost, and maybe even some subtle attack/def. stat changes. But where? The sniper units have miniscule stats to begin with...

But something had to be done. I've introduced them into the unit roster, and they were as useless as the subs. At least for my playing style.

Overall, it's similar to my reasoning with the attack boost of the subs. The snipers are rather fragile units when attacked directly. If they are cornered by two or three enemy units, they'll be probably destroyed. The extended range is not enough to guarantee their safety or superiority. They have to be used with caution still.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Did you change the stat Attack against the [Land] Mechanised for the Sniper?

Sniper.jpg
Sniper.jpg (187.64 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

terminator wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:55 am Did you change the stat Attack against the [Land] Mechanised for the Sniper?
No.

Your posts were funny, and I also liked the game, but I just didn't buy your explanation from Sniper Elite... :wink: :lol:

Capture d’écran (38).jpg
Capture d’écran (38).jpg (132.08 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
Last edited by GabeKnight on Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

But I did a test... :mrgreen:

Screenshot 55.jpg
Screenshot 55.jpg (823.98 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

GabeKnight wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:17 am But I did a test... :mrgreen:
...with the Finnish anti-tank rifle, Lahti L-39 ?

9f23a2087ed77564e5fd16d50c4e7265.jpg
9f23a2087ed77564e5fd16d50c4e7265.jpg (138.21 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

terminator wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:38 pm ...with the Finnish anti-tank rifle, Lahti L-39 ?
Holy shit, that's one nice piece of equipment. Probably fired a whole battery of them at the tank... :lol:

Now seriously, Mr. T, are you really for some mech. attack stats for the Snipers???

BTW, by adding the bombard trait to the heavy infantry, they've adapted the arty mechanic and are losing efficiency when firing mortar. I'm still not sure how I feel about that - and if I'm able to get rid of it. On the other hand, mortar barrels run hot, too. :roll:

Newest addition for the Finns:

75mm Bofors M1929 AT Finland
75mm Bofors M1929 AT Finland
Screenshot 56_2.jpg (581.48 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

GabeKnight wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:30 pm
terminator wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:38 pm ...with the Finnish anti-tank rifle, Lahti L-39 ?
Holy shit, that's one nice piece of equipment. Probably fired a whole battery of them at the tank... :lol:

Now seriously, Mr. T, are you really for some mech. attack stats for the Snipers???
Yes, Sniper should have some mech. attack stats(1-3, more vehicle close attack than vehicle attack).
Remember at first the armored transport vehicles had no mech. attack stat.
Recently, they have some mech. attack stats. Trucks are considered mechanical units. It’s very frustrating to be in front of a vehicle and not be able to do anything at all.
Proposal: vehicle attack=1, vehicle close attack=2
If we did that vehicle attack=0, vehicle close attack=1 I don’t know what it would look like?

Capture d’écran (1133).jpg
Capture d’écran (1133).jpg (154 KiB) Viewed 1915 times

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”