The "Gabe-Mod" (v8.4.4)

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Re: The "Gabe-Mod" (v8.4.4)

Post by GabeKnight »

Really now, this game does NOT need more subs... :lol:
...more or less useless even after modding...maybe I should increase the submerged-battery timer or the submerged MPs or something...? :roll:

Horst wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:52 pm ... I’ve noticed that the added Bombard ability to naval units only fires on enemy occupied hexes; hidden or not.
Thanks for the info. At least I can scratch it from my list.
Horst wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:52 pm Oh well, more room for my mine-laying then. On DD with torpedo and sonar, there is only room for mine-laying anyway, so I can forget about additional mine-sweeping. It’s okay - more right to exist for the Support Ship then.
You've added mine laying to all DDs? If really applicable, I think the mine clearing ablility would be more useful for them. And doesn't the mine-clearing-icon only appear when there're mines adjacent to the unit?

PS: Did you ever try changing the "stats" line in the classes.txt file? For example, is it possible to show torpedo damage for subs or torpedo-planes?
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Horst »

I forgot about the button-place stealing of the minesweeping ability. Yep, this can still work then. It only removes the Sonar ability next to neutral/enemy mines. You can't sweep allied mines as it looks.
What I noticed during the test that you get the minesweeping ability available next to mines even if you haven't detected the naval mines yet. I had removed the spotter trait from all naval units long ago but only noticed it now (again). Every year you get wiser, or is the game only falling apart after years? :)

Oh man, I don't touch this stats line anymore, but please tell me all your findings too IF there is actually something useful to change there!
Horst

Post by Horst »

Btw, I’ve looked through the vanilla 2-steps light tanks. This selection is quite chaotic beyond my understanding of logic, like no support for all Japanese light tanks. Maybe it’s also a lot of oversight. I don’t want to go into detail now.
Whatever, I won’t follow this official introduction and will still restrict 2-step movement only for the deserved recon units, besides snipers, commando and my scouts which also can’t capture. 2-steps capturing and off-cutting with fast units is simply nuts!
If you give the motorised trait to recon units, these become much more useful/annoying in enemy territory.

I mean, light tanks aren’t useless, no matter what, but speed is often an unfeasible feature in the game if enemy units are placed everywhere. In the end, you just pick the best for your core. There are always winner- and loser-units in a historical wargame, as this shouldn't be an arcade RTS with fussily balanced unit types.
E.g. the US light tanks were especially useful in combination with infantry in fast half-tracks on roads to race for intact bridges like in the Netherlands and Germany. However, their usefulness always got stopped by superior defending forces, as long as it wasn’t a pitiful bunch of Volkssturm. Even the US gave up on the light-tank idea eventually until only main-battle tanks were produced and bought throughout the world by all nations sooner or later.
In desert warfare, like in Sandstorm or possibly later in one of the first Western Allies campaign, with isolated settlements and camps, these fast tank units are still useful for reaching objectives in time or cutting off units.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Horst wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:15 pm If you give the motorised trait to recon units, these become much more useful/annoying in enemy territory.
What is exactly the motorised trait ?
Horst

Post by Horst »

motorised: recovers 10 efficiency (1 ingame) on every turn if supplied. This doesn't work for transports like carrying a unit and recovering its efficiency meanwhile
It has no ingame description as it was taken out during development as it seems.
Juansana
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Juansana »

Hello, I've been playing Verson 8.4.4 for a few days now and I'm missing the possibility that in the original Blitzkrieg die Waffen SS campaign no T-34 loot tanks can be bought. Why not?
Horst

Post by Horst »

I think the WSS faction also needs the Beutepanzer spec to be able to purchase captured stuff. It's been a while I've played the Germans.
Juansana

Post by Juansana »

A change of the unit file in the Mod folder does not help me either ... Shit
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Juansana wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:19 am A change of the unit file in the Mod folder does not help me either ... Shit
Horst is right about the spec.
If you want to make it work by changing the units file, you need to remove the "Beutepanzer" spec and also add the WSS as faction! That should do it.
Horst

Post by Horst »

Horst wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:27 pm
Edmon wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:10 pm UNITS
- A few unit data changes
us_marines_40: changed expire-date from 14/9/1942 to 10/9/1942
us_marines_41: changed available-date from 14/9/1942 to 10/9/1942 (due US Marines Guadalcanal scenario on 12/9/1942?)

If you change such date for a yearly upgrade then you should also adapt this change for Japanese and Soviet marines as well. It's all about the cosmic balance, right?

SU-122_Germany_AT: changed class anti-tank to tank
BT-42_AT: removed Air-Small Attack 3
And lastly, removed some unnecessary spaces in the units.csv file.
Make a note about this too just in case if these dates aren't equalized soon.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Horst wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:58 pm Make a note about this too just in case if these dates aren't equalized soon.
Thanks, and knowing me I'll probably do it; although - in all honesty - I fail to see the relevance for single-player play equalizing the other factions...
Horst

Post by Horst »

GabeKnight wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:09 pm
Horst wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:58 pm Make a note about this too just in case if these dates aren't equalized soon.
Thanks, and knowing me I'll probably do it; although - in all honesty - I fail to see the relevance for single-player play equalizing the other factions...
I don't like these availablity-dates spread over the whole year either that much, but I would want my new upgrades earlier too, no matter which faction. Can't tell you now which scenarios would offer such earlier upgrades.
Whatever, following the path of the cosmic balance can't be wrong! 8)
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Ansaldo-Fiat L6/40 (Flame-Thrower)

1d8bdfe1be8589ccfbd4630136d1097c.jpg
1d8bdfe1be8589ccfbd4630136d1097c.jpg (104.08 KiB) Viewed 2541 times
Xzight
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Xzight »

Hi I just downloaded the mod today and when I install it the mod can be selected upon starting the game but after selecting it the screen turns black and the game is not playable. I am thinking maybe because the game is on 8.6.1 and the mod is not yet updated?
Admiral_Horthy
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

We have a L3 lanciafiamme, but the trailer tank is wip still
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Thanks for the input, Mr. T.
I'm currently on "vacation" from OoB, but I still read (almost) everything and make notes for my to-do-list once I'm back.
Xzight wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:02 pm Hi I just downloaded the mod today and when I install it the mod can be selected upon starting the game but after selecting it the screen turns black and the game is not playable. I am thinking maybe because the game is on 8.6.1 and the mod is not yet updated?
It works just fine with v8.6.1 (with limits to the new content, of course) on my end.
Make sure to unzip everything correctly and place it in the \mod folder.
Chema_cagi
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Chema_cagi »

As every modder seem to be here, who among the likes of you will have a version of your masterful mods compatible with the Red Storm campaign? 8) :wink: (if it is not already...)
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

Compatibility is done - but for example effects I cannot fix because of the graphic bug. I'm working on new stuff to have a reason for a new release )))
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

GabeKnight wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:49 pm Thanks for the input, Mr. T.
I'm currently on "vacation" from OoB, but I still read (almost) everything and make notes for my to-do-list once I'm back.
Always keep an eye on the game to see if there will be any new :wink:
Igor1941
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Igor1941 »

8.6.3. does not work

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”