New Bataan Map download

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

lt1956_slith
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

New Bataan Map download

Post by lt1956_slith »

Hello,

I wanted to make a harder version of the Bataan Map that was included in the Pacific DLC. In real life these men were hanging on by their nails, and I always felt that while fun, the original map was lacking, especially when you become a better player later on. One the problems with the original map was the length, 25 turns was way too short and even on my first try with the game I never got threatened enough to feel my Primary VP was at risk. Other problems were the Philippine Scouts, which in real life outnumbered the US troops in the army. In the game you only get a few to start and it never equals the right percentage. I have tested out this map, and made some interesting changes that should breathe new life into this map. Of course I made it mind to include back into the Campaign game and not just a standalone version.

Here are some changes made to the game.

Turn Length changed from 25 to 60
Extra units added to the Allies and Japanese
Bunker and Foxhole placements
Main mountain in the south now has mines, in real life that mountain would be impossible to climb under fire, also in real life they went around it.
New triggers & events
Adjusted AI behavior for better wave attacks
Invasions much harder to stop now
Half squadron of P40's available and more Japanese planes
Bridges automatically blow up when enemy gets too close, In reality the bridges were already wired to blow, without the need of engineers in the game.
Corregidor's Gun now available to the player for defense
Japanese better supplied at key points in time as well as allies.
And MANY more things to make the map more challenging.

I hope everyone enjoys it. Feedback is always welcomed. :wink:

P.S. v2.1 changes are 1 small text error and the addition of Philippine Scouts unit, I also renamed starting US Infantry, Marines, since the developers used 1942 Marines instead of the proper model.
Attachments
BataanUSA_v2.1.zip
(369.75 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Last edited by lt1956_slith on Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
lt1956_slith
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: New Bataan Map download

Post by lt1956_slith »

Hello,

I wanted to post the startup picture of the map, so people can see the placements. You can see foxhole and bunker placements as well as the few extra units added. The map is more about internal changes than just more units, I wanted to keep the feel of the original but increase the difficulty and fun factor. And remember some of those units in the picture for the Japanese are Defensive units only to prevent a counter attack early in the game by the player. Some units don't fight until a certain time, so the wave effect takes place.

I found the map challenging on Normal, I would hate to try it on VH as I think I would lose pretty fast. :(
Attachments
Bataan.JPG
Bataan.JPG (229.26 KiB) Viewed 4356 times
ALP071
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ALP071 »

Where do I place the download, being a part of an "official" campaign?

Help, please.
lt1956_slith
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by lt1956_slith »

Hello, well there are two places. One is in your My Documents Games section which show up as a scenario, for me its:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Games\Order of Battle - WW2\Scenarios

If you want in the campaign of the game. For me its here.
C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Order of Battle - WWII\Order of Battle - WW2_Data\Content\Campaigns\2Allies1941

I have no idea if its different for others using Win10 etc. I still use WinXP.

P.S. When you get a chance to play and finish let me know what you think of it. I love feedback, Keep in mind it can be a little hard at times, but fun!
ALP071
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ALP071 »

Installed it as a separate scenario, mate.

Now, first piece of feedback would be that I don't see any Philippine Scouts around, at least in the first turns. Do they show up as reinforcements? They were the elite Allied troops in those hectic days.
lt1956_slith
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by lt1956_slith »

The Philippine units are there at the start, Unless you think they are called Scouts? In the game they are called Philippine Infantry. I didn't add any new units. What I seen by the 1941 roster was they called most of the Philippine Infantry Scouts, so I used that term.In the game they are just the infantry which I added more of.

Cheers
ALP071
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ALP071 »

Well, I saw a lot of very green recruits...

IMHO, and not your fault, the Scouts should be there, and have at least the same performance values as US Marines; during the battle, time and again they saved the line, until the Japanese numerical advantage became too big.

Two units (plus a few reinforcements) would be enough to represent them, as in real life, there were only a few PS units in Bataan.
ALP071
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ALP071 »

lt1956_slith
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by lt1956_slith »

Well I MIGHT be able to add some scouts, but they would be under the US flag as I can rename units when placing them on the map. I may be able to keep the flag I am not sure what the editor will allow. AFTER I get some feedback and see how things go I would be open to adding a unit or two if I can to the map. Maybe as part of the reward for a secondary victory condition.
ALP071
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ALP071 »

lt1956_slith wrote:Well I MIGHT be able to add some scouts, but they would be under the US flag as I can rename units when placing them on the map. I may be able to keep the flag I am not sure what the editor will allow. AFTER I get some feedback and see how things go I would be open to adding a unit or two if I can to the map. Maybe as part of the reward for a secondary victory condition.
PS units were US Army, so no problem there. mate.
lt1956_slith
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by lt1956_slith »

Hello,

Well I have two choices, Either make a Unit of Marines into Scouts or use Infantry 41. The uniforms on Marines are 42 and not 41 which really bugs me why they didn't do it correctly in the first place. I can place the Philippino Flag for the units and change the name that is located on top. But either case will still say below that its Marines or Infantry 41, I can't do anything about that. I figure I will give Scouts for the Secondary mission instead of the Marine unit. They look alike anyway and will show up in 11 turns.

Let me know which one you think, one has skills in another area, the other looks more period to the uniform of 1941.

P.S. How far are you in the map?
ALP071
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ALP071 »

Well, even though Leathernecks have the best ratings, GIs have the looks and still are a vast improvement over Filipino recruits, so unless the powers-that-be decide to fix the visual inconsistency, I would suggest GIs.

Can unit ratings be tweaked, at least a little?

About the map, I'm still waiting for (and drooling over) the improved version :D

Already played the "standard" version (US Pacific campaign) though.
lt1956_slith
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by lt1956_slith »

Well without feedback on the Map I uploaded, the only Changes I have is Naming the original Infantry at start of the game Marines and adding 2 units spawn of Philippine Scouts and one reserve very late in game.I also made one unit to be a core unit so if used in campaign you can always have the unit. I fixed a couple text errors and adjusted some of the Blue team items.

I actually decided to use the Gurkhas 41 for the scouts as they have all the stats of the Marines but look more like a scout with a boonie hat instead of a helmet. I cannot imagine scouts running around with Helmets, they make too much noise and the Early form of the Boonie hat was being used at that time. They actually look nice and unique for such a rare unit.

I uploaded the V2.1 So you will Play my map I just played through it again and it was a hard go to the 60th turn. The last turns are the hardest as the Resources run out. But overall it is completely winnable but I don't think one could win it on Very Hard.
ALP071
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ALP071 »

Mate, me mate Bru888 suggested this thread:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 72&t=82833

To ask the powers-that-be to take care of the visual inaccuracy with the Bataan US Marines (and for our purposes, the Philippine Scouts :D )
lt1956_slith
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by lt1956_slith »

I just posted our request there. I asked them to fix a bug, and also provide accurate uniforms for the marines 41 and make a new unit Philippine Scouts. But whether they will or not remains to be seen.

Btw How are you liking the map now?
ALP071
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ALP071 »

Haven't been able to go that deep into it (five turns so far), but as a fan of ABDACOM and surroundings, I just love it. Good stuff, mate :wink:
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

lt1956_slith wrote:I just posted our request there. I asked them to fix a bug, and also provide accurate uniforms for the marines 41 and make a new unit Philippine Scouts. But whether they will or not remains to be seen.

Btw How are you liking the map now?
New unit types etc are usually available only when a new campaign is published.
So I am afraid that your requests will not be met as I doubt the devs will revisit US Pacific campaigns.

I hope that at some point some graphic wizkid will create new units. But it probably needs some easier way to handle this in a mod as well.
He-who-cannot-be-named created a lot of new units, but they were incombatible with the official units (and he behaved so stupidly on the forums that he got banned anyway).
lt1956_slith
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by lt1956_slith »

Ah yes I believe I know who you speak of, I seen a thread about his banning. Too bad Ego has to get in the way of playing and modding a game.

But you have to admit the Skin on the Marines is not correct for 1941, and hopefully they would fix that as a bug, I think its in the core patch and not the DLC but I could be wrong. Erik if you get a chance try the map, at least you can say you did it once? :wink:
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Erik2 wrote:He-who-cannot-be-named created a lot of new units, but they were incombatible with the official units (and he behaved so stupidly on the forums that he got banned anyway).
Sadly. The units looked great. But I think "Lord Voldemort" may still be around. Stumbled over this recently:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... 1301882738
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... %7C1920%3A*
lt1956_slith
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by lt1956_slith »

Well no use crying over something lost. Anyway I bet you will see the Devs releasing something similar after they finish WW2

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”