Why can't my planes see surfaced subs?

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Why can't my planes see surfaced subs?

Post by PoorOldSpike »

It's such an important question that it badly needs to be addressed, I've run tests but am stumped.
In this typical vanilla 7.1.8 test there's a surfaced (repeat surfaced) AI US Balao sub in that circled hex, but although my player-controlled E13A1 recon plane has stopped right over it, the sub is not spotted. And even if the plane is in an adjacent hex the sub stays unspotted.
It also applies to player-controlled subs too, I surfaced my sub smack underneath and adjacent to some AI jap bombers but they never attacked, so presumably they never spotted it.
Do YOUR planes spot enemy surfaced subs? If they do, I'll know the fault somehow lies with me (sniffle)

PS-The manual clearly states that planes can see surfaced subs, but in my tests they can't so perhaps there's been a rule change or glitch in later versions?

Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Re: Why can't my planes see surfaced subs?

Post by Horst »

True, I haven’t really paid attention to this loading screen anymore for a long while. Most of them haven’t really changed since birth of the game.
Yeah, it’s sadly the truth that only adjacent ships and ground units can detect surfaced submarines. It’s tied to the undetectable trait each sub has which is also used by mines. I guess by being lazy to code two different traits, the detection by aircraft was ditched in favour for mines.
Normally, radar should also detect surfaced subs, although not (naval) mines of course.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

Thanks Horst, this proves what I've always said- namely that hands-on up-to-the-minute tests are the best way of checking out units and gameplay etc because they cut clean through what might have been written in outdated manuals etc..:)

EDIT- I've just discovered that sonar can't detect submerged subs!
(See my "Submarine Warfare" thread in the main forum)
Can you or anybody confim that is correct or am I crazy?
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

PoorOldSpike wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:25 pm EDIT- I've just discovered that sonar can't detect submerged subs!
(See my "Submarine Warfare" thread in the main forum)
Can you or anybody confim that is correct or am I crazy?
Only submerged subs that did not move or attack can not be detected by sonar.
PoorOldSpike
Colonel - Ju 88A
Colonel - Ju 88A

Post by PoorOldSpike »

GabeKnight wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:37 pmOnly submerged subs that did not move or attack can not be detected by sonar.
Thanks that's very useful to know, I'll edit it into my 'Submarine Warfare' thread later. It means subs can sit quietly on the sea bed in key ambush locations without being detected until they're forced to surface to recharge their batteries.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”