Forcing units to Retreat

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

conboy
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Forcing units to Retreat

Post by conboy » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:44 pm

All,
I was having a very difficult time getting a unit to retreat in a scenario. I am using Trigger -- Set AI team, move to hex, ignore enemy (when allied unit approaches within one Hex). It works just fine BUT one unit would not retreat no matter what. Until I switched it from "Local Defense" to "Static Defense" in the starting state (the AI Team Setting) and now it bugs out when ordered (when an allied unit gets within one hex).
So -- Does anyone have any insight into this behavior?
I'm pretty sure I controlled for everything but the starting state (Local Defense v Static Defense). Maybe the Local Defense takes precedence over the order to move?

baffled in Dixie,

conboy

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Re: Forcing units to Retreat

Post by bebro » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:11 pm

Are you aware that there are 2 different "move to" orders selectable in trigger effects, one with ignore ON, the other with ignore OFF? Maybe you selected the latter, so had the unit still *not ignoring enemies?

Other than that it could be a problem with team definitions.

Overall for now I think it's rather not the static vs. local defense, at least I think this should not make a difference. But hard to say from here what the exact cause is without seeing the triggers.

conboy

Re: Forcing units to Retreat

Post by conboy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:27 pm

Thanks, Bebro.
I thought the ignore enemies only worked with No Aggression setting. So, if you don't have ignore enemies set, then the unit will wait for an opportune time to move? Not just move when told? That makes sense from the behavior exhibited. What was perplexing me was the unit wouldn't move even when Ignore Enemies was checked until I changed force posture as described.

Wonder what was keeping them put until I changed the force posture setting.

ah, well,
c'est la vie, c'est la guerre.

thanks for responding,

conboy

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”