Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: BrucErik CSD Studio

Post by CoolDTA » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:32 pm

bru888 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:30 pm
I will go with one flag and the single Finnish word and work in a translation in the text, as I have been doing. I will use those photos, thanks. Is that the actual church?
Heh, that's exactly what I had in my mind, but was too lazy to write it because I knew you'll come to the same conclusion. :D Yes, that's the actual church.

A generic building or even better, couple of different kind of buildings would be very useful. Since they are immobile should be easy to add graphics-wise, yes?

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:57 pm

CoolDTA wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:32 pm
A generic building or even better, couple of different kind of buildings would be very useful. Since they are immobile should be easy to add graphics-wise, yes?
Probably, but it's a studio rule that we develop projects only for the vanilla game, for wide-spread accessibility, usage, and enjoyment. Picture yourself a new player, combing through the Custom Scenarios and Custom Campaigns threads, and needing to know how to load our exclusive mod first before being able to enjoy all these fine products.

Well, maybe someday. But always with this game, I have this feeling in the back of my mind that we are racing against time here. Even if you discount the concerns about absentee designers and long periods of seeming inactivity and silence, there is a natural product cycle/life. Sooner or later, this will look like Tombstone Arizona, tumbleweeds, flapping curtains, doors rattling in the wind, and all. (Which images do an injustice, really, since the real Tombstone is still there, just no longer a boomtown. "The city's(!) population dwindled to a low of 646 in 1910, but grew to 1,380 by 2010.")
- Bru

CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:56 pm

bru888 wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:57 pm
Probably, but it's a studio rule that we develop projects only for the vanilla game, for wide-spread accessibility, usage, and enjoyment.
Actually I meant it as a subtle hint to the devs, because I know you only deal with the vanilla game as do I (not just with OoB but other games as well). Too subtle I guess considering for example the 4+ years of waiting in vain for the infamous cavalry bug to be fixed. :|

Yep, OoB will fade away one day, but I'm sure not very soon. Having so many custom campaigns, mods and in general being easily moddable lengthens the life cycle of any game a lot. A dedicated board with exceptionally friendly moderators just adds to that. :)

bru888

Post by bru888 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:51 pm

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (271.33 KiB) Viewed 526 times
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (273.69 KiB) Viewed 526 times
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (262.39 KiB) Viewed 526 times

I am having way too much fun here. But the reference to evacuation also alleviates my conscience over what is likely to happen. :wink:
- Bru

bru888

Post by bru888 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:11 am

A few more teasers; note that I resolved the Pappila/Vicarage doubled name/translation in the first two images:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (404.18 KiB) Viewed 498 times
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (345.12 KiB) Viewed 498 times
Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (399.36 KiB) Viewed 498 times

The map is done, which is always the labor-intensive part. Now to place units, mark objectives, and create triggers. In this regard, much of what I did in Lähde will be transferable to this one, so it should go quicker. The third scenario in this crossroads should be even quicker, as it will be similar in scope to these two and I will not need to recreate the map for that one.

By the way, is there no "ä" in Muolaa? It seems like it should be so. Tell me now! Tell me now!! :( :x ( :wink: )

Actually, I found two internet references in Finnish and neither spell it with an "ä":

https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muolaa
https://www.muolaa.fi/
- Bru

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:49 am

There are several interesting units in the official Battle of Britain mod.
I asked adherbal years ago if he could please add them to the vanilla game....
Shards, are you listening? :D

As the British say; 'BoB's your uncle' (or something similar...)
bob.jpg
bob.jpg (61.88 KiB) Viewed 477 times

CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:12 am

bru888 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:11 am
By the way, is there no "ä" in Muolaa? It seems like it should be so. Tell me now! Tell me now!! :( :x ( :wink: )
:lol:

No, no "ä" there. Not every Finnish name has an "ä" in it, despite your map shows for example Äyräpää nearby.

GabeKnight
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by GabeKnight » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:19 pm

CoolDTA wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:12 am
[...] and Gabe probably loves the railway gun. ;)
Nah, although it was the very first version I've used, the model is quite sloppy. The Artistocrats made me REALLY happy by adding the "283mm Krupp K5" railways gun with Endsieg (Thanks again! :D ).
But getting there is kind of complicated (and the official campaign tree is wrong in that, too, IIRC), and I always wondered if anybody actually played the Anzio scen ?!? :wink: :lol:

28cm_K5E.png
28cm_K5E.png (19.23 KiB) Viewed 449 times

CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:16 pm

Gabe dismissing anything railroad related... This is me looking like I believe that --> :lol:

;)
GabeKnight wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:19 pm
But getting there is kind of complicated (and the official campaign tree is wrong in that, too, IIRC), and I always wondered if anybody actually played the Anzio scen ?!? :wink: :lol:
I wouldn't say complicated, just play badly enough. For most, probably not, and it is possible some ppl don't even know the scen exists. There is one video in YT, but it may be the only one.

bru888

Post by bru888 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:10 pm

bru888 wrote:
bru888 wrote:
:lol:

No, no "ä" there. Not every Finnish name has an "ä" in it, despite your map shows for example Äyräpää nearby.
It made it onto a sign post: "To Äyräpää" due north.
- Bru

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:11 pm

CoolDTA wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:16 pm
I wouldn't say complicated, just play badly enough. For most, probably not, and it is possible some ppl don't even know the scen exists. There is one video in YT, but it may be the only one.
Okay, maybe complicated in the "broader" sense, so to say. At least for me. It was REEEEEEEEEALLY hard not to shoot down the enemy fighters while they were flying all over the place with 1-2 HP strength.... :lol:

Bruce, I don't want to be pushy, but please, finish already. Reading all this, my mouth's watering... :wink: :mrgreen:

CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:10 pm

GabeKnight wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:11 pm
Okay, maybe complicated in the "broader" sense, so to say. At least for me. It was REEEEEEEEEALLY hard not to shoot down the enemy fighters while they were flying all over the place with 1-2 HP strength.... :lol:
It is! As you probably remember we discussed this dilemma in the Steam Forum. :)

Incidentally, it is a pity the Anzio scenario is somewhat wasted now. It could have been in the winning path also. To add more realism, perhaps give the player only limited CPs to deploy core units to portray a limited transport capacity. There would be more aux units to fill in the gaps and them having less exp and poorer equipment to increase the challenge a bit.
bru888 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:10 pm
It made it onto a sign post: "To Äyräpää" due north.
All right! :D

bru888

Post by bru888 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:13 pm

GabeKnight wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:43 pm
Winter War 1939 1.8, lvl3

19Kelja2

- No income for Hungary and Norway? I had to watch the "Nygaard" company die... :shock: :lol:
- Also only 1 RP/turn for Sweden? They have like six partisan units and one dogfighter!
Erik2 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:26 pm
bru888 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:54 pm
Edit 3: You may find the other Norwegian representative somewhat interesting as well. :)
I actually missed that :oops:
I hope everybody playing this campaign will take really good care of that guy and feed him lots of sausages and Koskenkorva Viina
Erik, here are some sausages and Viina. While working with volunteers again in these three crossroads scenarios, I have hit upon what I intended as to their viability. They aren't like regular units, so they can hardly expect reinforcements. They get used up.

Yet, to start with, they should have a limited amount of resources in their knapsacks so 3 initial RP's per unit is working out best. With 6 Swedes, 1 Norwegian, and 1 Hungarian, that's 18, 3, and 3 respectively.

In 19Kelja2 of Winter War 1939, therefore, I recommend this initial array of RP's:

Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (245.84 KiB) Viewed 418 times

Note that in this one, the Swedes start with 36. That's 18 for the partisans and 18 for the plane. The +1 income per turn is for the plane only.
- Bru

bru888

Post by bru888 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:20 pm

GabeKnight wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:11 pm
Bruce, I don't want to be pushy, but please, finish already. Reading all this, my mouth's watering... :wink: :mrgreen:
I'm getting there. A few more days, perhaps, then beta. I think you will like this one; it's my best efforts yet. After the bugs are ironed out, and any super ideas from beta players incorporated, Erik will need to review the gameplay balance.
- Bru

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:37 pm

Today we actually had a bit of snow (in the real world).
So there's still hope of launching the Winter War 1940 (beta at least) before winter is over here.

bru888

Post by bru888 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:00 pm

The unit list tells me that I have 24 mines on the map but for the life of me, I cannot find only 23. One mine is lost! The damned things are dangerous. I am going to mention something about mine safety in this scenario. :?
- Bru

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:17 pm

How do you lose a mine...??? :roll: :wink: :lol:
bru888 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:20 pm
I think you will like this one; it's my best efforts yet. After the bugs are ironed out, and any super ideas from beta players incorporated, Erik will need to review the gameplay balance.
I'm sure I will. The first one was great already! (Okay, no railways... :wink: )
And against my first "resistance", I think I'll try your NormandyUK/Canda campaign next. Seems polished and people having fun with it. Thanks! :D
CoolDTA wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:10 pm
It is! As you probably remember we discussed this dilemma in the Steam Forum. :)

Incidentally, it is a pity the Anzio scenario is somewhat wasted now. It could have been in the winning path also. To add more realism, perhaps give the player only limited CPs to deploy core units to portray a limited transport capacity. There would be more aux units to fill in the gaps and them having less exp and poorer equipment to increase the challenge a bit.
Well, it has been pointed out and it's their design decision after all.

As to the scen itself, I remember it being quite difficult for me the first time around. I've played at a higher difficulty alright, but I was barely able to meet the objectives and it was really costly, too, IIRC. The second time was easier, though. Still, I would not change the scen, I think.

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:02 am

GabeKnight wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:17 pm
I found it eventually. It was "hiding in plain sight," out on the frozen lake. Never thought of looking out there; it must have been a wild mouse click. :)
- Bru

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:18 am

bru888 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:02 am
GabeKnight wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:17 pm
I found it eventually. It was "hiding in plain sight," out on the frozen lake. Never thought of looking out there; it must have been a wild mouse click. :)
Yeah, like the generic Gunboat unit floating around from time-to-time in some custom scens. :D

Man, I spent the last 8 hours, again, fixing things in OoB resp. my mod. Always the same procedure, checking and double-checking...
Thanks to you I've even corrected some spelling issues (there was a pic in the v8.1.0. bugs thread): :wink:

Code: Select all

spec_radar_ii_effect = • Adds a Radar range of 12 to all warships|• Adds a Radar range of 8 to all aircraft
spec_war_economy_descr = [end sentence period missing]
spec_waffen_ss_ii_effect = • +150 RP and 12 Ground CP for the Waffen SS faction|• 7 RP per turn are transferred from Germany to the Waffen SS faction
spec_waffen_ss_iii_effect = • 18 Ground CP for the Waffen SS faction|• 15 RP per turn are transferred from Germany to the Waffen SS faction

tutorial_elite_repair = [it's => its]
tutorial_objectives = [removed one line break]

bru888

Post by bru888 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:48 am

I cannot go crazy with research or else I'll never Finnish. However, I was able to glean some helpful information from this source which is really quite comprehensive:

Image0307.jpg
Image0307.jpg (140.28 KiB) Viewed 265 times

The crossroads scenarios are done. They are large ones; all the same size and sharing common themes and elements but each one unique nonetheless. So now I am on the final leg of Winter War 1940 and I am looking at next weekend for releasing it in beta.
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”