Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

terminator
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: Need evaluators for a new campaign

Post by terminator » Sat May 30, 2020 12:49 pm

ColonelY wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:32 am
So, the French themselves had several submarines there as well (and indeed a cruiser). :D
What I found as names of French submarines in Casablanca:

Oréade (LV Loiseau)
Sunk by Task Force aircraft on 8 November (5 dead)

Amphitrite (LV Ritti)
Destroyed by Task Force aircraft on 8 November (3 dead)

Psyché (LV Guittet)
Sunk by Task Force aircraft on 8 November (10 dead)

Sibylle (CC Kraut Henri)
Sails to leave Casablanca; lost before Fedala (American mines?), November 8 (41 dead)

Sybille.jpg
Sybille.jpg (41.02 KiB) Viewed 552 times

Sidi Ferruch (LV David Robert)
Sunk by planes of the USS Suwanne, in front of Safi off Casablanca, November 9 (69 dead)

Le Conquérant (CC Lefèvre)
Wants to reach Dakar; manages to sail
Sunk by US Catalinas bombers, off Villa-Cisneros, November 13 (56 dead)

Le Tonnant (LV Paumier)
Wants to reach Dakar; manages to sail
Scuttle in front of Cadiz, November 15 (8 dead)

PS: LV = Lieutenant-commander; CC = corvette Captain
Last edited by terminator on Sat May 30, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

terminator

Post by terminator » Sat May 30, 2020 1:00 pm

ColonelY wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:32 am
So, the French themselves had several submarines there as well (and indeed a cruiser). :D
French Cruiser in Casablanca:

Primauguet
Taken out of action by the Task Force on 8 November (45, 90 or 110 dead?)

primauguet-croiseur10451.jpg
primauguet-croiseur10451.jpg (135.65 KiB) Viewed 552 times
Last edited by terminator on Sat May 30, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Igor1941
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Igor1941 » Sat May 30, 2020 1:13 pm

HMS Avenger (D14) Sunk by U-155 off Gibraltar on 15 November 1942 (HMS Avenger) sunk with loss of 516 men https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Avenger_(D14)

ColonelY
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by ColonelY » Sat May 30, 2020 3:25 pm

conboy wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:12 pm
[...] I hope you can find the error so you can restart with your battle critiques because they are very illuminating. [...]
Thanks a lot, I trully appreciate! 8)

:D HIP HIP HOORAY, FOUND IT! :D

:arrow: So, conboy, don't worry any longer: false alarm, everything's fine with your scenario! (The 8 AnzB, I mean.)
How have I found it?

Well, for those who like "nice" little stories :lol: , it has started because I've decided to continue anyway the real tests on the battle maps.

Therefore, I've launched the 9 AnzS as a custom single scen (like this I've at least the texts of the obj, the brief, etc. - it wouldn't be the case if launched from the scen Editor)... then used some notes to rebuild the missing core units as close as possible than it was, using the "#warbonds" for this, taking good notes on how many RPs were left previously, etc. Really a lot of stuffs!

Anyway, I finally started. So far, so good. 8)

But what was my surprise to see the scen "crash" just before turn six! :o (Nothing more was happening, the game blocked, no option available for me, etc.)

Okay, but this time I had at least an info: 8) something happened on turn 6 which ruins everything...

So, I've then loaded the 9 AnzS in my scen Editor to look at the triggers -> which units have spawned or should have spawned on turn 6? All more or less classical units, so in principle indeed nothing to worry about... I continued, trigger after trigger... then it comes to Geman airplanes.

That may be it... 3 planes... hum... I check their names, then click on one of them (exactly as if I was about to change the unit which must be spawned)... then I went through the list of possibilities (in terms of German planes) - there was no FW 190 G (the 2D picture of it, I mean)!?

Now I had a strong candidate for my issue. So, I close all, check on my units.csv -> this unit was there, but there was the famous "noEditor"... So it could be that I haven't seen it previously only because of this and that it wasn't the actual issue. So, to check this, I've deleted this "noEditor" and back to the Editor!

Then simply unlocked the German faction... this time, the FW 190 G was on the list of available planes. So I select it, click on some random hex -> nothing happened! With the others, no issue, each click = a nice new plane on map.

So, I've got it: this 3D model was somehow missing or corrupted or something. In short, not working!

So, back again in the units.csv file: I've put the 3D model of the FW 190 F to replace the one of the FW 190 G.

Then a verification on the Editor (can I put some on the map this time?), then reloading a save of 9 AnzS (end turn 5), trying to pass the turn... it worked nice and sweet, then I reloaded a campaign save just before the previous scenario, the landing at Anzio... and now it loads properly. Once loaded, "#orbitalcommand": aha, amongst the German planes directly on map there was some FW 190 G...

Well, in short, quite a circus! :x

So because of a missing 3D model on my computer, the 8th scen wasn't loading (1 of them already deployed) and the 9th "crashed" at some point (when 1 of them must be deployed).

Now my FW 190 F and G look similar on map (and for good reason! :wink: ), but I don't care, it's working! :D

Phew! Now, I'm sick of this story, I don't want to hear any more about it! :evil:

Sorry to have bothered you with all this. :oops:

:arrow: With this issue of mine solved once and for all, I'll carry on the actual tests :D but... tomorrow! :wink:

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Sat May 30, 2020 4:16 pm

conboy wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 12:24 pm
[...]
Terminator,
I think I can accommodate some of your comments about my anachronistic units. I thought about using long-toms to start with but ... but... but...

thanks, all!

This whole review process is very enlightening and rewarding and thank you all for helping!

conboy

What do you think, conboy, about this alternative option:
ColonelY wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:06 am
[...]
:arrow: Another (much, much easier) way to solve this issue could be the following:

:idea: In short, just adding in the Casablanca briefing something like "in our division, we've had the luck to receive some very modern equipment and even some vehicles actually nowadays prototypes" (without more precisions*). And that's it! 8)

Yes, it's a small twist on historical reality... But adding some extra "prototypes" has sometimes happened (as from time to time within the awesome Winter War trilogy :wink: ) and is always pretty much fun.

*If this option shall prevail, then it's even possible :idea: to add a sec obj about dealing at least a certain amount of damages with only the M12 155mm (the most "ahead of its time", so the most "prototype-like unit"), as obj descr that "it's about testing this prototype unit" (already as core unit - but, like this, why not?) and as reward maybe +100 RPs (only for the "non-colored" US)...

conboy
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by conboy » Sat May 30, 2020 5:06 pm

I like both ideas. It occurs to me though that some players may have a hard time in Licata scenario without the two big move and shoot pieces, so I'm leaning your way now ...

conboy

conboy

Post by conboy » Sat May 30, 2020 5:07 pm

I like both ideas. It occurs to me though that some players may have a hard time in Licata scenario without the two big move and shoot pieces, so I'm leaning your way now ...

conboy

terminator

Post by terminator » Sun May 31, 2020 6:02 am

conboy wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 5:07 pm

conboy
Technically, it is possible but I find that there is too big a difference with the actual availability date unless there is an error in the year of availability ?

155mm M12 GMC.JPG
155mm M12 GMC.JPG (47.67 KiB) Viewed 482 times

155mm M12 GMC(2).JPG
155mm M12 GMC(2).JPG (55.1 KiB) Viewed 482 times

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Sun May 31, 2020 6:25 am

Well, I think it makes absolutely sense. 8)

Ok, so let's look at it a little:

:arrow: Its production started in September 1942 (first picture!) and the Casablanca scenario started in October 1942, so about ONE MONTH AFTER the beginning of production... One month later, how can we exclude the possibility of some first prototypes? :D Besides, it's written that it was IN SERVICE IN 1942 already (first picture again!).

Furthermore (second picture!), the availability was from October 1942 - precisely when our Casablanca scenario takes place :wink: (and even one week before the scen, actually).

:arrow: So it's perfectly fine to have this unit with us and to still consider it as "prototype", indeed! Thanks :D

And after all, let's not forget that units like this, we have only ONE (i.e. "few") in our division. :wink:

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Sun May 31, 2020 9:35 am

8 AnzB: 8)

An excellent scenario, which gives the player a very, very good feeling about what was going on at that time near this beach, especially towards the end of this scen! :D

So, let's go to work, shall we?

-> About the Rangers event, you'll indeed have to choose between the 3rd or the 4th (text vs map), as already mentionned.
These poor Rangers; nice event! The very best they can do is severly damage one German arty...

-> It's basically the same map than for the next scenario, but probably better to remove the British faction of this scen (the 8 AnzB!) -> yes, because we don't control them right now (we have even our boundary with them!) and with their actual income during this scen they'll have more than 1'000 "free" RPs* in prevision of the next scen...

*Rectification: they will start anyway the next scenario with their "standard" 275 RPs... but this must still be modified for this scenario!

-> The Germans will be more efficients if you spawn one mobile AA unit together with some of their reinforcments, because then our planes won't be able to deal with German arty as "easily" as now.

-> As Erik has already shown us, there is no picture for the "Major Victory" Pop-up...

-> Although nice, this event title is a little too long: "Counterattack - Defense!"...

-> For "crystalclearness" sakes, 'could add two other "Western Boundary" flags... the first maybe 6 hexes South to the actually named hex and the second and last one maybe at the southern portion of the forest (near the railroad or something)...

-> The sec. obj. is validated as soon as the hex is captured. What about delaying this achievement until some airstrip is actually built over it? (As it's the main point of this anyway...)

-> I was about to write that you can safely remove 2 of the 3 Supply ships on the West (thanks to the big supply outputs from Anzio and Nettuno), but these ships are actually usefull to "attract" the German bombers, so nice to have them with us!

-> Great, trucks available! We can now upgrade our regular infantry from the Red, Blue and "non-colored" Regiments... BUT you should then add 2 LCPs for the "non-colored" Regiment as well (it's perfect right now for Blue and Red!), otherwise our "QM/Ordnance" and "MP/Signal" can't join us...

-> I suggest to reduce the "non-colored" ACPs from 10 to 9!
Right now, we've 3 core planes and already 1 aux recon plane...
For this scenario we don't need a second recon plane (for the next scen yes, but it's another story! :wink: ). Moreover, in the "Purchase" pannel the recon units aren't unlocked within this scen... So, we can't buy any anyway! So better remove this extra LCP, otherwise it may be a little frustrating at the beginning...

:D This scen is already well balanced, I don't think there is really anything to add for the Germans - well, except some nasty mobile AA unit, of course! :wink:
Last edited by ColonelY on Sun May 31, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Sun May 31, 2020 10:03 am

It appears that the "3rd Medical Battalion" was within this US Division.

:arrow: Therefore, what about adding a core "Medical Jeep" from the start? :idea:

With the name "3rd Medical Bn" and under the "non-colored" flag, of course, as other support units. :wink:

This would mean:
-> First, +1 "non-colored" LCP for each and every scenario;
-> Then, few words about it during the presentation in "0 OoB" as well. Like simply adding this within one of the event texts: "There were also Ordnance, Military Police, Quartermaster, Medical, and Signal elements, also shown." :wink:

I think this would somehow complete quite nicely the picture and could be really good for immersion, in addition to allowing also to be of service from time to time to one of our units. :D
Last edited by ColonelY on Sun May 31, 2020 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 » Sun May 31, 2020 10:20 am

8 AnzB

There are 10 ACPs, but no option to purchase a recon air unit.
Also, shouldn't there be a number of aux air support, at least for the initial invasion?

There is no naval support. If you take a peek at my 2v1 Anzio scenario you'll see a number of possible US and British named vessels (and additional aux air support).

The LW attacks on turn-1. Is this historical? Seems a bit too early.

The US paras have zero unit exp, that can't be right.

It would be nice to have a couple of flags planted at Anzio and Nettuno so you could reform units here.

There are British and Canadian factions gathering resource income, but no units (?). When the few Canadians arrive they have amassed over 500 RPs.

The Artillery School is an 'instant' airfield. I think it would be more historical if the player was instructed to build one of the two available airstrips there.

I needed more than 12 turns to the phase-1 objs, so I got a minor loss.
At that point I nuked my way out of Anzio.
I would probably need all 18 turns for this obj alone.
The outcome graphic was missing.

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Sun May 31, 2020 11:22 am

Well, then I must point out that I've achieved the final objectives of the first phase in the last turn available for that... so it was indeed a little close. 8)

Naval support? :D Well, except for the flavor, I don't really think we need some within this scenario... And if yes, then I suggest either putting only some US ships, or putting US and British ships but then with an income for them reduced to zero (or almost at least).

Navman2854
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Navman2854 » Sun May 31, 2020 1:16 pm

3-San Fratello = frustrating the living hell outta me. I can't get the Phase 2 obj's in less than 22 turns, best was 22. I let that game continue, the 2nd landing of the Barnard force was not good. I have to find new strategies I know. If you guys are winning the scen then it's evidently doable.

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Sun May 31, 2020 1:21 pm

Some air considerations:
Erik2 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:20 am
[...] Also, shouldn't there be a number of aux air support, at least for the initial invasion?

[...]The LW attacks on turn-1. Is this historical? Seems a bit too early.
I think these are two good ideas. :D

Maybe the LW would be better if attacking on the 2nd turn? :?: Therefore still hindering the landing but including the notion of "reaction time"...

Some aux air support, why not? Like maybe 1 dogfighter and 1 bomber? :?:
But if it's for more than for the initial invasion, then I would suggest to add not 1 single mobile German AA unit, but 2 :wink: (to compensate, to avoid unbalancing the last part!) - in this case, maybe one spawned in the N and the other in the NE or N-NE...
Last edited by ColonelY on Sun May 31, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColonelY

Post by ColonelY » Sun May 31, 2020 1:31 pm

Navman2854 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:16 pm
3-San Fratello = frustrating the living hell outta me. I can't get the Phase 2 obj's in less than 22 turns, best was 22. I let that game continue, the 2nd landing of the Barnard force was not good. I have to find new strategies I know. If you guys are winning the scen then it's evidently doable.
:D If I remember correctly, one of the most difficult parts is to cross a river heavily defended by Germans and Italians...

-> A hint may be to use our aux recon plane to discover the range of the enemy arty (there are a lot of these units), thus knowing where our units are safe... because first you must gather all units close to this area (even if you delay your assault by one turn for this purpose! - besides, staying put allow units to regain some of their organization, which may help them). And finally, then only you move in massively!

-> Another hint, maybe: I've sent all my tanks and TDs on my right flank, to meet the enemy tanks... (again, thanks to the recon plane, seeing how the enemy was prepared and where)

-> And maybe a last hint: as soon as the Bernard Force appears, you can send ALL destroyers and cruiser near this river (it's not far away!), in order to benefit heavily from this naval support vs the enemy artillery or something! :wink:

'Could help. :wink:

conboy

Post by conboy » Sun May 31, 2020 2:26 pm

Navman,
Is it too late to send me a replay? I don't want this campaign to be inaccessible/frustrating for some players at level 3. So maybe you're not holding lips right -- a replay could help me see where the problem is.
I'll send you link to my last replay of that scenario, but I'd like to find out why yours is giving you trouble. I know from your input and others that I have to add at least one turn for the initial objectives.
Having played this scenario about 15 times, I lose sight of the difficulty and just start concentrating on getting all the bugaboos out.

thanks for your feedback -- it's very important!

conboy

conboy

Post by conboy » Sun May 31, 2020 2:36 pm

8 AnzB -- Anzio Beachhead
Erik2 wrote: ↑31 May 2020 05:20
[...] Also, shouldn't there be a number of aux air support, at least for the initial invasion?

[...]The LW attacks on turn-1. Is this historical? Seems a bit too early.
ColonelY and you agree on the Aux air so I'll consider it, but ALL of the air assets in this campaign are auxiliary -- Divisions didn't have organic air except for spotter planes. Only in this campaign it TacAir organic ...

I can delay the LW attacks one turn and change them to engage all targets. Now they are only set for units at sea.

Regarding Naval support, there's no enemy navy present, so that would needlessly complicate the scenario. Unless I used a Brit AA cruiser to combat the enemy air.

Erik, I wonder why you had trouble with these objectives? Can you provide some input there?

thanks to all!

conboy

ps: Erik, ColoneY, your other comments are spot-on.
Last edited by conboy on Sun May 31, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Sun May 31, 2020 2:42 pm

I think I simply was not playing aggressive enough, trying to minimize losses and repairing to full strength before attempting another attack.
Maybe I care too much about my silicon soldiers :D

conboy

Post by conboy » Sun May 31, 2020 4:08 pm

The 7 Barb scenario was pretty stressful on units and on resources. Did you end up short at the start of Anzio Beachhead? If so, I need to address.

I really like your idea about flags at Anzio and Nettuno for reconstituted units. Will it work if they are secondary objectives?

thanks!

conboy
Last edited by conboy on Sun May 31, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”