Need evaluators for a new campaign

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Navman2854
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Need evaluators for a new campaign

Post by Navman2854 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:02 pm

10 - AnzBO = another good scen. Lots of units to use. Think the Germans could use some AA. Air deployment good, no issues there. Think ColonelY already covered these; 1) 3rd primary obj needs changed to by Turn 30 or end of scen 2) 2 objs on west/northwest part of map are seen as gold flagged objs but not stated to be primary objs needing to be captured.

Navman2854

Post by Navman2854 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:55 am

11 - Dragoon = another good scen. BIG map, lots of units to use and long ways to go to objs. But this scen you get to move fast IF you're aggressive enough. Which is cool because most of is not a tough, slow slog. Still think the Germans could use some AA. Air deployment good, no issues there. Wasn't sure where that HQ was for the paras to drop on. Played scen twice, found it on 2nd try. All in all, pretty fun to play.

conboy
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by conboy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:16 am

Navman,
Hay man,
Thanks for the comments! I tried to respond twice today but the phone zapped the message, so ...
Good, all your comments validate my hopes and apprehensions about this campaign, so please keep on keepen awn.
BUT Please don't get burned out on this playthrough, I'll need your input next time through as well!
Your comments about the German AA are making me think about putting a lot more on the battlefield -- that'll definitely keep the RPs from skyrocketing and may add a couple of turns to some of the less challenging scenarios.

So thanks, hombre! You're hitting the right places.

conboy

conboy

Post by conboy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:26 am

Another thing about the Dragoon scenario. The hexes represent a huge increase (I think 6 times larger) over the size of the previous (and those that follow) scenario scales.

I tried a few times to keep the same scale as the other scenarios, but I would have needed three scenarios to convey it, and they would have been on a MUCH slower timescale, so it would have seemed boggy. The success of Dragoon was overwhelming -- allies rapidly drove deep into German-held territory to start with and chased the retreating units into oblivion. That is what Overlord (Normandy, of course) and Shingle (Anzio, especially) were supposed to accomplish but failed.

So this scenario conveys what a decisive victory in an amphibious landing was supposed to look like. It smashed the German resistance in France and they never recovered from the blow.

conboy

Navman2854

Post by Navman2854 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:28 pm

12 - DraII = A little too easy, agree with all of ColonelY's suggestions for this scen. I accomplished all objs under time limits and totally in like 14-15 turns, still ended up with only a draw. TAC air deployment perfect, no issues seen.

As for my German AA suggestion, don't add too many. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything, other players are not going to like me too much :lol: ---- Anyway, here's my take. I always thought every ACTIVE airfield should have at least 1 AA unit. Maybe occasionally leave one undefended (depends on how many in scen) but make that the exception rather than the rule. Doesn't always have to be a killer AA like the Bofors :shock: MAJOR airfields should have 2 AA, one tough on fighters and one on bombers. Artillery units should also have some AA, maybe 1 AA for every 2-3 ART. Just an :idea:

conboy

Post by conboy » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:46 pm

Thank you, Navman.

Copy all!

conboy

Navman2854

Post by Navman2854 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:27 pm

conboy wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:46 pm
Thank you, Navman.

Copy all!

conboy
My pleasure conboy :D

13 - VosL = VERY fun scen, enjoyed that one! Germans had some AA :shock: TAC air deployment, no issues seen. Can't really think of anything to point out that ColonelY didn't, IMHO one of the best scens in your campaign.

conboy

Post by conboy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:11 am

Navman,

Thanks for the compliment and the feedback. And thanks for keepen awwn!

If 2 outta two liked it.. 8)

conboy

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by GabeKnight » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:48 am

Navman2854 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:28 pm
Anyway, here's my take. I always thought every ACTIVE airfield should have at least 1 AA unit. Maybe occasionally leave one undefended (depends on how many in scen) but make that the exception rather than the rule. [...]
Artillery units should also have some AA, maybe 1 AA for every 2-3 ART. Just an :idea:
Just to add my two cents real quick: I agree absolutely with these "rules" / :idea:

ColonelY
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by ColonelY » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:51 am

'Sounds good to me too. 8)

By the way, I'm wondering if, to make the Medical Jeep actually working, i.e. able to replenish a little another unit of ours from time to time, it may be required to unlock the (US) "Field Medic" spec, or something, in each and every scenario? :?

'Seems this Jeep unit can be directly added within the Editor, but its ability won't work unless the corresponding spec is actually unlocked.

It would be another relevant spec to unlock, if this option shall prevail, together with those already available related to TacAir. :wink:

This unit, even if not the most useful of all, is still a good way to improve a little more the immersion of the player...

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:57 am

14 VosS

1/141st Bn on the hill should be named.

The French reinforcements near Raon spawn at somewhat odd locations, next to German units. I think it would be better to spawn them around the 45th Div route flag further south.

Found no other specific issues.

Good, intense, medium difficulty scenario.
end.jpg
end.jpg (130.9 KiB) Viewed 634 times

conboy

Post by conboy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:26 pm

Thank you Erik, Navman!

We're getting there -- your input is extremely helpful. Copy all.

conboy

Navman2854

Post by Navman2854 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:56 pm

conboy wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:26 pm
Thank you Erik, Navman!

We're getting there -- your input is extremely helpful. Copy all.

conboy
You're welcome!

14 - VosS = BIG map, LOTS of units, fairly long scen. I prefer med to small scens but a fairly big (not HUGE) one now and then is good.This is one of those and quite excellent too. A little tough in the beginning, then a sprint to the finish with a couple minor surprises here and there. Once again, ColonelY did a thorough analysis and agree. TAC air was good, the additional was a nice surprise. German AA was better, are you sneaking those in on me at night conboy LOL? Did not know additional airfields were going to spawn or maybe I just didn't see them? Consequently I should have kept dragging one of the original two along for later build. To be fair though, didn't really need it so it's a moot point.

Navman2854

Post by Navman2854 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:01 am

15 - Kays = A small, quick scen. Nice break after the long one :) .... Once again, go with ColonelY's advice for this scen. No TAC air in this one so nothing needs changed.

conboy

Post by conboy » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:57 pm

Navman,
You are really helping out. Hope you enjoy the next few. Colmar should be a lot of fun but the Siegfried line got a poor review from ColonelY. If you want to nuke through that one, be my guest, because it's under reconstruction.

I think the last 3 are fine.

enjoy and thanks again!

conboy

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:13 pm

15 Kays

I would remove the map markers to the Kaysersberg bunkers.
It is more fun to find the bunkers and the player already know they are in the Kaysersberg area.

Refreshing fighting a small battle.

Nice and easy scenario. It ended on turn 16/18 which meant I didn't get the finish destroying the last bunker.
end.jpg
end.jpg (250.97 KiB) Viewed 507 times

conboy

Post by conboy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:29 pm

Thanks, Erik.
I like your comment about the bunkers and will accommodate, if I can figure out a way to count them. Maybe just clear all enemy <6 hexes from Kaysersberg or something like that.

I didn't know there was a discrepancy in the turn limit, so I'll fix. Thanks for pointing that out!

conboy

Navman2854

Post by Navman2854 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:21 pm

16 - Colm = conboy, you're right this was a fun scen. A little tough in the beginning which is fine. Trying to find the weak spots was good. TAC air good, no issues. I was expecting the French air to spawn at the southern hexes since the briefing mentioned southern air. Maybe move them there, your call. German AA was pretty good but maybe could use a one or two more especially where there's a lot of artillery situated.

Navman2854

Post by Navman2854 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:23 pm

17 - Sieg = Per your recommendation I nuked it.

18 - Rhin = A pretty good scen that needs a little work as I thought it a little too easy. Doesn't need to be made a lot harder, just a little IMO. I also got a Draw when all objs were achieved before scen end, issues as follows - 1) Chemical plant captured, never showed as such 2) Pontoon bridge north of Worth was built, showed achieved then at scen end changed to not achieved for some reason. Suspect a trigger/condition setting? 3) Achieved all "x" objs by scen end, counter shows 6/6 yet not achieved.

Looked thru ColonelY's eval, pretty much agree with a lot of it. Questions I have - 1) Not sure why the 2 bridges needing building. The 1st had an existing bridge a couple hexes away that was easily taken intact. Maybe that was supposed to be blown? 2) Pretty much the same with the 2nd bridge. 3) The 4 gun battery supporting the last 2 objs only targeted the south bridge hex at Erlangen. Did not fire at any units in the area at all other than that hex. Also, that's a good size battery of BIG guns, could use some AA.

conboy

Post by conboy » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:53 am

Navman,
Man,
you are really hitting some good points.
I think the French air thing was a stray click -- needs to go on the south edge, as you pointed out.

I will check out all your comments on Rhin -- the bridges need some explanation. I'll say they're for follow-on logistics people swarming in behind the front line troops -- need more bridges open for more troops. As for the batteries, I'll check it out but there's (almost) no accounting for what the AI does!

I've been working on your comments about the Volturno bridge building phase all evening - I think I have a good solution.

Thanks for sticking with it -- I think the last two are pretty strong.

conboy

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”