Erik's Korean War

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

vexiliant
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Erik's Korean War

Post by vexiliant » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:59 am

Glad to see this all coming together :D.

Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:15 am

Indeed. There will be an update of the mod and the 1st mini-campaign soon along with a brand new mini.
Stay tuned.

TheFilthyCasual
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by TheFilthyCasual » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:53 pm

Zekedia222 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:39 pm
This is 100% historically accurate, particularly for the Chosin Few. The Chosin Reservoir campaign was the first engagement of the Communist Chinese military. The UN forces at the Chosin were few, while the Chinese were completely overwhelming. It is an absolute MIRACLE anyone survived that campaign. I even have a book about this campaign. At one point, a single company is attacked by HUNDREDS, if not THOUSANDS of Chinese soldiers. They held, mostly due to the low quality of Chinese infantry, but still.
Also, at the Chosin Reservoir, there was almost NO Chinese armor. Why? Because no one was supposed to no the Chinese were there. The traveled mainly at night, using stealth tactics. This also disregards the terrain surrounding the Chosin. Like most of North Korea, It is a mountainous, near completely desolate waste, of unbearable snow in winter. The tanks could’ve made that journey, at least given the Chinese tactics.
This isn't true. The Chinese first entered combat at the end of October when they destroyed the ROK forces that had reached the Yalu and then forced the entire 8th Army back over the Cheongcheon River before withdrawing into the mountains to set a trap. This was the "First Phase Offensive". The battle at the Changjin Reservoir was the east prong of the Second Phase Offensive.

The reason the Chinese brought no armor is because they barely had any. It wasn't until 1952 they had any sizable tank units in Korea and due to the frontlines being essentially locked in place they were almost never used, as they were kept in reserve to counter breakthroughs.

Zekedia222
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Zekedia222 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:37 pm

Firstly, the battle of the Cheongcheon River took began near concurrently to the battle of the Chosin Reservoir. The presence of Chinese soldiers was not widely accepted in that location, with the only evidence being reports by ROK soldiers. Hell, you said it yourself, the Chinese withdrew, in order to set a trap. And this withdraw was a mere two days before the first engagements at the Chosin Reservoir. No one knew where they were. Why? Because they travel at night, on foot.

Secondly, even if the Chinese had tanks they wouldn’t be of much use by an ambush force in mountains. While supply is a part of it, I think tactics are far more important here.
But honestly, I don’t want to start a debate in this thread, so I’ll shut up :lol:
Klinger, you're dumber than you look, and THAT boggles the MIND.
- Charles Emerson Winchester III

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:25 pm

You guys are welcome to discuss the Korean War in my (yes) thread as long as you keep it civil and keep to the topic.
I'm actually learning something along the way :wink:

TheFilthyCasual
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by TheFilthyCasual » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:47 am

I'm not trying to start a fight I'm just clarifying the timeline. The Battle of the Cheongcheon River happened at the same time as the Battle of Changjin Reservoir, but that wasn't China's first engagement in Korea. Their First Phase Offensive happened a month earlier.

I'm not an expert but I have looked into the Korean War most intensely than most, so if there's a question you want answered I might be able to help you Erik.

Mascarenhas
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Mascarenhas » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:21 pm

One of the positive side effects of proposing a new campaign such this - especially out of the usual WWII context is to raise our interest in getting better informed about its circumstances. At least for me, Korea is a conflict about which I feel the importance of getting more information about and I praise the contribution of everyone, in a civilized fashion, of course. Talking of this, a more accurate employment of contemporary military hardware is more then welcomed, and I appreciate very much the efforts that are already being conducted in this sense.

GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by GabeKnight » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:23 pm

The new equipment/units will be gradually added to the mod as they are needed for the campaign(s) and as far as it is possible (for me).

Same as in OoB for example: the Germans did not get the whole unit roster at once with the Blitzkrieg DLC... :wink:

Erik2

Mod updated to 0.21

Post by Erik2 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:39 pm

Link in first post.

Mod:
New and updated unit types
Re-use of stock commanders with new mini-campaign names.

89 Tank mini-campaign:
New/updated unit types
Various smaller changes/fixes/enhancements.

New mini-campaign '8 Army Ranger Co'.

Known issues:
For some reason the custom graphics do not display in the victory/defeat messages.

Zekedia222

Post by Zekedia222 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:46 pm

I’m not sure if you’ve mentioned it, but do not forget the Kagnew Infantry Battalion. They had a flawless track record (never lost a firefight), despite having been engaged over 500 times, if memory serves.
Or the 41. Royal (Marine) Commando. These British soldiers were at the Frozen Chosin.
Klinger, you're dumber than you look, and THAT boggles the MIND.
- Charles Emerson Winchester III

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:29 am

Chosin Reservoir (1950)
by Erik Nygaard

Description: The Chinese offensive against the US X Corps. Note: This scenario uses the Korean mod.

Theatre of War: Korea

Side: US/South Korea

Forum Discussion and Download Link:
viewtopic.php?f=374&t=99650

preview.png
preview.png (390.71 KiB) Viewed 882 times
[This ended up being a duplicate post - the other one is now the second post in the Custom Single Player Scenarios thread - so I parked this one here. - Bru]

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:37 am

Erik,
so far I've got my hands on the following models, which should work in OoB:

unit_20501 = MiG-15
unit_20502 = F-86 Sabre
unit_20503 = F9F Panther
unit_20504 = P-82 TwinMustang
unit_20505 = AD-1 Skyraider

I'll give you some examples soon, then we have to decide about the look of the textures.

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:47 am

In Tiller's game the air units look like this:
Aircraft.jpg
Aircraft.jpg (35.56 KiB) Viewed 766 times

Mascarenhas

Post by Mascarenhas » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:27 am

Yes! Here come thew jets!

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:20 am

Erik2 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:47 am
In Tiller's game the air units look like this:
Probably could make good unit pics out of that, thanks.

But come on, you know me...do you really expect ME to be able to distinguish which unit is which by the profile alone? :wink: :lol:
I need the corresponding names please. You can use this order:

etc.

Erik2

Post by Erik2 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:16 am

The rest are in OOB already.
F-86 Sabre.png
F-86 Sabre.png (12.66 KiB) Viewed 706 times
MiG.15 Fagot.png
MiG.15 Fagot.png (3.2 KiB) Viewed 706 times

rafdobrowolski
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by rafdobrowolski » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:28 am

Having each scenario crash in the 8 Rangers Mini-Campaign. Any ideas why?

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:04 am

rafdobrowolski wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:28 am
No. Need more input. And be sure to use OoB v8.4.4 !

Screenshot 188.jpg
Screenshot 188.jpg (893.25 KiB) Viewed 654 times

Erik, in the first scen, my forces go right into undersupply after the NKPA takes the first town with the Refugees on the first turn. You should either increase supply or maybe it would be best to change the Refugees to a "nosupply" unit? What do you think?

And now that I see the screenshot it's kinda strange that the US captured towns have the SK flag? Is that a setting in the editor or an error in the mod?

And we'll need the spec tree revised to the new years. Tell me which specs you need for the US/Marines (all?), NK, SK, China, Turkey and I'll get to it.

EDIT: Second scen: I need one more LCP to deploy all my units. And the sec. "don't lose tanks" obj. doesn't fail. But the overall balance seems alright so far. I like the Ranger units! :D
Last edited by GabeKnight on Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

rafdobrowolski

Post by rafdobrowolski » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:09 am

GabeKnight wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:04 am
rafdobrowolski wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:28 am
No. Need more input. And be sure to use OoB v8.4.4 !

Using that version. Seems to happen at the start of every scenario about 3 to 5 turns in, once per scenario. Playing on a brand new laptop, never had this happen with any other mods, campaigns, scenarios, etc. this frequently.

GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:22 am

rafdobrowolski wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:09 am
Using that version. Seems to happen at the start of every scenario about 3 to 5 turns in, once per scenario. Playing on a brand new laptop, never had this happen with any other mods, campaigns, scenarios, etc. this frequently.
Actually this 8.4.4 version's quite stable for me. I don't think I had any game/editor crash since the game update.
The only time that the game "freezes" regularly is strangely on game exit, which doesn't bother me at all, because my guess is that it has something to do with my missing internet connection.

For now, assuming you have no such crash-issues with the OoB vanilla game, my only guess concerning your problem would be, that the download version of the mod might be different to the one I'm playing.
But to be honest, every problem that materializes "about 3 to 5 turns in", doesn't seem to point to a fundamental problem but something intermediary. Anybody else having issues with crashes?

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”