Heroes of Normandie - Join the First Blood Tournament!

Take one of the most modern, fun and engaging board games created in recent years. Match it with cutting-edge technology. Add a ridiculously well-crafted art style and a ton of extra content. This is the recipe to one of the most thrilling, charming and captivating strategy games you will ever find!
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Heroes of Normandie - Join the First Blood Tournament!

Post by AlbertoC »

We have great news for all Heroes of Normandie fans. As you might be aware, the developers have been working on integrating the Slitherine Tournament System. We’re now ready to run the first tournament ever for Heroes of Normandie!

It’ll be the first tournament of its genre for Heroes of Normandie, ever. We hope it will be a smooth experience for everyone, and if we encounter any bug we’ll be sure to squash them.

Three rounds, ten days each. The tournament will start next Monday, so don’t forget to join by clicking here.

The First Blood Tournament starts next Monday, and after thirty days we’ll know who is the Slitherine Heroes of Normandie champion!
duncanrice
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Heroes of Normandie - Join the First Blood Tournament!

Post by duncanrice »

Hm... tells me to login to join. When I click it tells me I'm logged in and doesn't let me join.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

clear cache and cookies in steam and your browser and please re try

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -TIAL-4638
duncanrice

Post by duncanrice »

Used a different browser. Must be a cookie issue. All good.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

Is this the thread where we will be talking about the tournament as it moves along? Friendly smack talking, issues with the game/tournament, communicating with our opponents, etc?

Or, should we create a new thread for this purpose?

-=Jeff
garrycooper101

Post by garrycooper101 »

All I get from the program is "Waiting on your opponent". I have cleared my browser and my steam account history caches. How long does it take to log us into the server?
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

Doesn't that mean it's your opponent's turn? You have to wait for him to take his turn. Or, am I missing something?

My question is - why does it say we only have three days left in the game list, when we have 10 days to complete our games?

If we only have three days, or 72 hours of countdown time, there's no way I can finish my games, unless we happen to be on at the same time and do multiple turns.

I do my last turn for the day at night, go to bed, then go to work for 10 hours. So, that's 18+ hours where I'm not doing turns. So, in four turns or so, my 72 hours will be up.

Why can't you just make it so we can play the game until our 10 days are up? That is what this tournament is set to, after all. This is pretty frustrating. And, why the rush anyway? 10 days is not very much time to complete an asynchronous game, when many of us are 8+ hours time difference from each other. Why not two weeks? 10 days is way too short, in my opinion.

-=Jeff
garrycooper101

Post by garrycooper101 »

FroBodine, as near as I can tell your opponent has to be on line. It was taking 2-3 hours to get logged into the game. I finally logged out and resigned from the games. Upside is I finished over 300 page in my Dresden Files book so I can return it to the library.
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

Hey guys,

Your opponent does not have to be online the same time as you are.

A 10 day tournament round means that around 3 days is added to each player's "chess clock" - it means your 3 day is not ticking down until it is your turn to move, and it pauses once you have submitted it.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

Thanks for the response, Tamas. That is what I was afraid of. Why only give us a three day clock, if the round is 10 days. That makes no sense at all.

In fact, you should not put a timer on our games AT ALL. If we don't finish in the 10 day time period, then that's our fault, and we lose the game. Don't give us a separate time clock limit, please.

Like I said, if my opponent does their turn right after mine at the end of an evening, and I go to bed and then work the next morning, that is 18+ hours that my clock is ticking down before I get home from work and do my next turn. Four days like that, and my 72 hour clock is done. That is MUCH less than the 10 days that the round is supposed to last.

I am at work right now, and it's my turn. My clock is running, and at 10 more hours will be ticked off my 72 hour clock. Nine more have already ticked down while I was sleeping. And, we're still barely into the first turn.

I think this is a bad way to run the tournament. There should not be a timer at all, except for the 10 days that the round lasts. Also - I think 10 days is too short for games with opponents on different sides of the globe. It's just too tough to get multiple turns in at one time. Two weeks minimum should be the normal for these games. If everyone finishes early, great, we move to the next round early. If not, then at least everyone can finish the games without being pressured too hard.

-=Jeff
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

Thanks for your feedback.

The chess clock mechanism is unlikely to change (although we will discuss it internally) but of course we will look into increasing the available time for the next tournament, based on the feedback we will receive here.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

Thank you, Tamas. Hopefully you can look into increasing the available time for THIS tournament, too. There are still two more rounds.

Especially for a game like Heroes of Normandie, where there are a lot of back and forth phases. 10 days and 72 hours just won't cut it.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

Both my games have been completed against Pantherboy. Why did I get zero points for both?

I can understand getting zero for one of them, because I did horribly and didn't kill a single unit of his.

But, in the second game, I did kill some of his units. Why did I get zero points? How do you get points when you lose the game?

I am embarrassed, because I had not played in a LONG time, and forgot pretty much everything. I should have practiced before the tournament started.

Oh well, now that I "sort of" know what I'm doing, hopefully I'll do better.

But, I'd still like to know why I got zero points, and what I have to do to get at least some points. I DID kill some of his units.
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

Even if you lost, you should get a portion of 10 points based on the difference between the in-game score of you and your opponent. If there was an extreme difference between the two, it is possible you'd get zero.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

Thank you for the response, Tamas. So, is something wrong with my score, then? I don't think I should have received zero points for both games. Should this be investigated somehow, please, to see if I should have earned some points?

Like I said, in one game I killed a few of his units. And, I'm not sure he returned the plans to the victory location. I can't see the last turn, because once the game ended on my opponent's turn, the game gets erased from my game list. So, I am unable to watch the last turn to see what happened.
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

FroBodine wrote:Thank you for the response, Tamas. So, is something wrong with my score, then? I don't think I should have received zero points for both games. Should this be investigated somehow, please, to see if I should have earned some points?

Like I said, in one game I killed a few of his units. And, I'm not sure he returned the plans to the victory location. I can't see the last turn, because once the game ended on my opponent's turn, the game gets erased from my game list. So, I am unable to watch the last turn to see what happened.
To shed additional light on the topic the game where I was the US I didn't lose any units and eliminated about 6 of his including all his commanders providing stars which resulted in the game ending prematurely on Turn 3. I think my score was about 1500.

For the second game where I was the Germans FroBrodine eliminated two units, a Fire Team and an MG 42, but he lost 6 units plus I successfully retrieved the plans by Turn 3 or 4. My score was 1250 or higher I'm not exactly sure.

Cheers,

Steve
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

Thank you for providing the gory details of our game, pantherboy. That really helps. So, I guess the game where I at least killed a couple of your units was not enough to provide me with even a single tournament point.

Like I said, I'm so embarrassed, and am slapping myself for not reviewing the game and practicing a bit before starting the tournament. It is inexcusable to not remember that leaders provide orders. I only had one leader per game. Stupid. Once they died, I was getting only one order per turn. No chance to be any threat at that point.

Anyway . . . does anyone know how to view the last turn of a completed game? Both my games ended on my opponent's turns, and those games are immediately wiped from my active game list. And, I don't see a completed game list anywhere to view the last turn. So, how do you do this, please?
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

Thank you for the info. We will look into the issue of not being able to see the last replay.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

Ok. Round two just ended for my games. My opponent only took one action phase in one of the games. In the other game he did nothing except assign his initial orders to the units. We never completed a singe turn, and both games timed out on his turn.

I got 15 points and he got 5 points in each game. So, how did I get zero points in both my games in round one, when those games were at least played by me and my opponent, to conclusion?!?

I get zero points for playing the game, but my opponent in the second round gets 5 points for not even completing a turn. Something is definitely wrong here with the scoring.
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

I've got to agree with FroBrodine that the scoring system for this tournament has not been thought out. My matches ended with my opponent timing out in both games where I am clearly winning. Simply by virtue of not playing your turns you can improve your score. What you guys who are running this tournament need to do is release the rules pertaining to the scoring system so that players understand how a game is scored and redress the issue with players who do not play their turns. Both my matches only reached Turn 3/4.

Return to “Heroes of Normandie”