ABOUT THE DICE ROLLS

Take one of the most modern, fun and engaging board games created in recent years. Match it with cutting-edge technology. Add a ridiculously well-crafted art style and a ton of extra content. This is the recipe to one of the most thrilling, charming and captivating strategy games you will ever find!
Waltero
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: ABOUT THE DICE ROLLS

Post by Waltero »

When I think of a 'game of dice' I think of Risk, Axis&allies, Memior44 etc.
This game doesn't really use a whole lot of dice. Why do people feel it is a game of dice?
The thing I hate most about it...I feel the dice in this game much more than I think I should (perplexing).

I believe this game is suppose to represent the board game. I will wait (before I judge) till the computer catches up to the board game (exact duplicate). Any chance the computer version might allow for some variants? I have an Idea that will allow for flexible initiative.
Skanvak
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Skanvak »

Waltero I see that it was a good move to wait before answering as I have seen your post evolved.

I think your recent addition is the point, you feel the dice in this game. In risk you play a statistical game with a lot of roll, each one with nearly the same importance. Here you play less dice but they tend to be all or nothing and some are very important, so they don't get statistical in a game. I think that is the feeling of the game as it is quite a light game (This is not squad leader).
Last edited by Skanvak on Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Best regards,

Skanvak
Waltero

Post by Waltero »

Subdued dice :wink:
I wish it was more like squad leader :x

Too much luck involved when a single die roll can make or brake the entire game.
Often times if you do a mad rush (screaming while running in the open) for the objective you will win.
The Majority of all wins are done as such (with this game).

It is what it is. I have no problem with this game, I just feel it is not as enjoyable as it could/should be.
I think most of it has to do with the current scenarios. The game editor is no help, as of yet.
Last edited by Waltero on Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

Matrix/slitherine have lots of game that are closer to squad leader. I can suggest you some.

What I like with the attempt with "Heroes of Normandy" is that they transpose the boardgame to computer as it is. This is good because :
1/ good way to play when you are alone
2/ good way to learn the game
3/ good way to free space in my tiny flat

But the campaign are not what the game was made for and compelling success to advance make the game tedious (because of everything we said earlier). A system where you can go on with with whatever result you have would made for a more enjoyable experience (as you could keep playing after a streak of bad luck).
Best regards,

Skanvak
Waltero

Post by Waltero »

I find this game to be a good time passer. Every Scenario is unbalanced due to set initiative. I am sure the final product might fix this but we have a long way to go. as it is now, this game is highly frustrating!!! Most times it is over before it begins.
Biffa
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Biffa »

I've stopped playing it because the unit balance is so pro-US it's just got too annoying, I might do a youtube video to show it, this is especially evident with the German Rogue campaign. I think most of the imbalance is due to 50cal and it being decided that it was far superior to the MG42 which is a nonsense, also seems the US AI has a limitless supply of rifle grenades and for some reason trees and cornfields only effect Axis weapons, it's just got too frustrating. The supposedly hard Brit campaign is easy so it's not that I don't know what I'm doing.

Hoping because the updates have really slowed down we can get a chance to mod it and make things a bit more sensible.
Igorputski

Post by Igorputski »

It just doesn't feel like a wargame to me. It feels too much like a puzzle game. Remember "Battle Isle" that's what it reminds me of only worse.
Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

Igorputski wrote:It just doesn't feel like a wargame to me. It feels too much like a puzzle game. Remember "Battle Isle" that's what it reminds me of only worse.
No, Battle Isle has a far lesser random factor. But all fix starting position tactical scenario is a puzzle.
Best regards,

Skanvak
Igorputski

Post by Igorputski »

I said reminds me of I didn't say plays exactly like it. The fact it Normandie is a puzzle game every scenario no matter how you look at it. Once you figure out the template there is really no need for variation. Just buy lots of order units and let the computer roll lucky 6's all the time and you can't lose. The computer doing 99% of the operations is the part I really don't like. At least in battle isle you made the difference in the chess match.
CptAlatriste

Post by CptAlatriste »

The game is BALANCED! It`s not a puzzle game!! Tactics is Priority! The most important ist to prepare to use your units in the best time!! Order are very important, sure, but the movement of the non-ordered Units on the right time ist the best way to make the Differenz! Ok The Dice!! :evil: :evil: :evil: That could make the best tactics down! That was ever use your ammos and re-roll when you really need it!...and when you become a "1" ...Smile!! (I keep smiling the all game! :D )
Waltero

Post by Waltero »

Some (most, if not all) of the Scenario's lack balance, forcing players to react in a certain fashion. Not much room for variety (Stratagem).

Objective: Edge of the board; Run the gauntlet!
Objective: Grab the document/item; Cat and mouse.
Objective: Occupy the building; Block entrance, hinder movement.
I think this game needs more objective options.

It is a work in progress...
Haven't given up on this game yet :?
Last edited by Waltero on Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

plenty more in the pipe line as the whole design so far is good and it's getting better
Igorputski

Post by Igorputski »

CptAlatriste wrote:The game is BALANCED! It`s not a puzzle game!! Tactics is Priority! The most important ist to prepare to use your units in the best time!! Order are very important, sure, but the movement of the non-ordered Units on the right time ist the best way to make the Differenz! Ok The Dice!! :evil: :evil: :evil: That could make the best tactics down! That was ever use your ammos and re-roll when you really need it!...and when you become a "1" ...Smile!! (I keep smiling the all game! :D )
Hardly, as others have said before me. Still needs lots of work and fixing. More skill less dice.
Waltero

Post by Waltero »

Igorputski wrote:
CptAlatriste wrote:The game is BALANCED! It`s not a puzzle game!! Tactics is Priority! The most important ist to prepare to use your units in the best time!! Order are very important, sure, but the movement of the non-ordered Units on the right time ist the best way to make the Differenz! Ok The Dice!! :evil: :evil: :evil: That could make the best tactics down! That was ever use your ammos and re-roll when you really need it!...and when you become a "1" ...Smile!! (I keep smiling the all game! :D )
Hardly, as others have said before me. Still needs lots of work and fixing. More skill less dice.
Ya, it really doesn't have the same feel as other strategy games?
It's just hit and miss- nothing in-between.
Igorputski

Post by Igorputski »

Here's what I think games like these with dice determining the winner or loser. Is the dice should lead to selection cards that the player picks which result he wants. So say he rolls a 1-2 he gets 2-3 selection cards to choose from (depending on how much work the dev wants to put into this method). If he rolls a 3-4 he gets 3-4 selection cards to pick from and if he rolls a 5-6 he get 5-6 selection cards to choose from. The cards will be in an attacker pool and a defensive pool and it can even have a random event pool if the player chooses a selection card that says random outcome.

This gives the player the feeling he is more involved in the game than the dice are. He determines his outcome not so much the dice.
CptAlatriste

Post by CptAlatriste »

It s not the game Board...
radar231
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by radar231 »

More concerns about those infamous dice rolls or is it more bitching :?:

After playing a few hundred games ( winning some, losing some ), it seems odd at time that what looks like like dice rolls repetitions with some of the same units, ie Oddball / Otto / Snowt / Kamptz / Clint / mortar. Those units dice rolls come around in circle, like double ones or sixes or , like some noticed when you need the killer die now and you need anything but an one and of course you rolled an one ( or close anyway ). I saw / suffered the infamous dice rolls of four ones in a row also, I know shit happens too once in a while but like I wrote, it seems to come around in circle after all those played games.

Of course I am not complaining when my unit / tank got a near miss and survived an other turn but still....

And I know it is only a game, but when you are as involved into a game as some of us are, it seems you noticed more of those dice rolls repetition than you usually do in other games.

All that to say if I am wrong into thinking that those dice rolls come around in set / predetermine fashion for specific units as mentionned above :?:

J. 8)
CptAlatriste

Post by CptAlatriste »

I agree 100%..Sometimes I just don t know what ever to do....Laugh or cry.. :D :( :( It s look like the system found a way always to make the play from a card, or the use a heroe down with the dice roll....My preference goes to the ""MORTAR"" and the "" Rifle Grenades""...be sure, you want to range and you hit every where but not in just one place....you will throw it...You have a direct hit on units (let say 3), the dice row show hits on 2+,2+,3+ you will throw 1,1 and 2... :mrgreen: one time it s Ok, 2, may be funny..but 3 and more...NO!! I NEVER SAW THIS ON THE BOARD GAME....NEVER!!!! :twisted:
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

follow me on Twitter here
radar231

Post by radar231 »

pipfromslitherine wrote:Obligatory: