ABOUT THE DICE ROLLS

Take one of the most modern, fun and engaging board games created in recent years. Match it with cutting-edge technology. Add a ridiculously well-crafted art style and a ton of extra content. This is the recipe to one of the most thrilling, charming and captivating strategy games you will ever find!
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: ABOUT THE DICE ROLLS

Post by zakblood »

evening all,.

the games doesn't and never was meant to recreate battle but to recreate the board game feel, with dice it's does it well, very well imo, as some may have played the board game, they have commented so, i haven't played it myself but have play dice games in the past so understand how some you win others you loose, point blank shots and miss when next turn a shot hits and kills your hero from almost a impossible angle yes is hard to stomach but that's life and in games it happens, in real wars who knows, guess it depends on luck, some are more lucky than others in games and in life.
Waltero
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Waltero »

Unfortunately there is no getting away from the dice. How many games does a guy play before it feels as if you are playing a game of dice?
This is an OK game but most of the time (most of the Scenarios) it is just a matter of going head to head...he who rolls the best dice wins. I will wait until the game is fully developed.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

cards are out next Waltero, this may turn it even more into the board game and less like the semi wargame it is now
Skanvak
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Skanvak »

Yes, this is an adaptation of the boardgame not the most realistic wargame ever. I think this should stay this way. There are a lot fo wargame with less random factor to please people and this game should stay the board game (with of course a the benefit that computer can add without changing the game).
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

i agree and also hope so to, as it's the best next thing to owning the board game but can be played on the pc on your own, add in the cards and now the editor it's endless imo for fun, and can be played by others if needed as well online
Waltero

Post by Waltero »

It might be worthwhile including dice stats.
Awarding points accordingly?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

a final end of turn report with all scores rolled?

might be a good idea :idea:
Igorputski

Post by Igorputski »

Waltero wrote:Quote:
Point blank fire at 100% accuracy misses are not realistic. Maybe once in 1000 shots but not as often as I see them in many games get misses where there should have been a hit. End quote

"point blank fire" is nice but it is not the only factor involved...jammed gun, wounded, Julie-(getting caught with your pants down), ammo, the unexpected guy charging you with a pick axe etc.

How many times do you think a good solder faces "point blank fire"...more often than not.
The game tells you that the character missed. It doesn't explain why and that leaves a wonder of why that RNG didn't hit at point blank range with 100% accuracy. The character wasn't taking a piss and the text never says the gun jammed etc. etc. It just saws awww shucks I missed em I'll get em next time. That to me says it missed and that's not enough explanation for me. I don't go for this abstract "oh this shit happened" is the reason for a miss at point blank range. How many times do you even get a point blank range shot. Misses should be rare very rare. I see them like popcorn.
Igorputski

Post by Igorputski »

Waltero wrote:Unfortunately there is no getting away from the dice. How many games does a guy play before it feels as if you are playing a game of dice?
This is an OK game but most of the time (most of the Scenarios) it is just a matter of going head to head...he who rolls the best dice wins. I will wait until the game is fully developed.
THis ^...This seems to be true for all games using dice or a RNG as you don't really determine the outcome. You can make the best strategy and tactical maneuvers all you want but if the die or RNG are against you then you lose.
Over the years I've come to see that in most all games using dice or rng. It's sad that so many games the computer really determines the outcome instead of the player. There are of course a few games like chess and checkers and this Conquest Medieval that I found that rely on "skill" more than anything else. We need more games of skill instead of Talisman luck games of die rolling.

And if you don't think devs alter the die rolls then I suggest you pick up a cheap copy of The Witcher Adventure game. I've never seen so much cheating of the die rolls in my life and this game you can see them plain as day. The female character gets this one card she has to roll an eye or she takes damage and she'll roll it nearly every fugging time. I once watched her roll it 9 times in a row and that's really statistically impossible since she only has one 6 sided die with 1 eye on it. Every once in awhile of course they'll have her miss one roll and then back to successive rolls of the eye for several turns again.

The other thing it will do if you're winning is give the AI players cards to speed them up above you for the win. Like giving several color cards out or giving them "nothing happens" event cards over n over. But, you get the shaft when you get an event card. Devs mucking with the outcome of a die roll or the cards for the sake of making the AI look good is ruining the experience more than helping it.
Waltero

Post by Waltero »

What do you want, a text or video to give you a better understanding of what took place with your botched attack?
Be creative, have some imagination. Allow your imagination to take over...far better than a video or text.

If you want to think realistically (this game), you should not think of the dice as luck. I have no problem when the dice do not roll my way while involved in a game (any game). That is why I never give up!

--How do you explain that in "reality"? --

You can bring up any number of fallacy's as you can find (within this game) and I can come up with similar situations that Have occurred throughout history.
Many things throughout History have no logic...even in War (specially in WAR).

In order for some (people who want to bring logic, reality into a dice game) people who like it to be believable; have to try and arrive at some conclusion, though it is not logically derivable from the assumed premises, this game possesses some degree of probability relative to the premises (being War).
DO not think of them as dice (in any war game), EVER!
It is a bad habit and will spoil many a game for you.

People get upset and talk about how it is Impossible to lose/miss.
Reality is far more unbelievable at times than any Scifi movie or game.

History (reality) can make rash inferences.
How can 150,000 men fight of an army of one million strong (did happen).
How about 7 monks holding off an entire army for eleven days, non stop 24-7 till the opposing army got fed up and left (fact in History).
Don't quote me on the exact numbers. I think they were actually worse than I stated.

Do not get so flustered when something out of the norm hits your game play. Understand it as reality and that you can not control your units...you just give orders and hope for the best.
No game is going to represent reality if you do not see it as such.

Remember, you have heroes on this battlefield...a hero can dodge bullets!
Hitting a hero should be rare very rare. I see heroes getting hit all too often ;-(

Enjoy the game.
Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

Just wanting to add the lone british soldier holding a german division for a whole day and survived to tell the tale during WWI (...ok, it was at a bridge with a machinegun).
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

doesn't matter, his dice rolled in his favour :roll: :wink:
Igorputski

Post by Igorputski »

Waltero wrote:What do you want, a text or video to give you a better understanding of what took place with your botched attack?
Be creative, have some imagination. Allow your imagination to take over...far better than a video or text.

If you want to think realistically (this game), you should not think of the dice as luck. I have no problem when the dice do not roll my way while involved in a game (any game). That is why I never give up!

--How do you explain that in "reality"? --

You can bring up any number of fallacy's as you can find (within this game) and I can come up with similar situations that Have occurred throughout history.
Many things throughout History have no logic...even in War (specially in WAR).

In order for some (people who want to bring logic, reality into a dice game) people who like it to be believable; have to try and arrive at some conclusion, though it is not logically derivable from the assumed premises, this game possesses some degree of probability relative to the premises (being War).
DO not think of them as dice (in any war game), EVER!
It is a bad habit and will spoil many a game for you.

People get upset and talk about how it is Impossible to lose/miss.
Reality is far more unbelievable at times than any Scifi movie or game.

History (reality) can make rash inferences.
How can 150,000 men fight of an army of one million strong (did happen).
How about 7 monks holding off an entire army for eleven days, non stop 24-7 till the opposing army got fed up and left (fact in History).
Don't quote me on the exact numbers. I think they were actually worse than I stated.

Do not get so flustered when something out of the norm hits your game play. Understand it as reality and that you can not control your units...you just give orders and hope for the best.
No game is going to represent reality if you do not see it as such.

Remember, you have heroes on this battlefield...a hero can dodge bullets!
Hitting a hero should be rare very rare. I see heroes getting hit all too often ;-(

Enjoy the game.
What you speak of is "reality" though and yes can and did happen but this is a game that can be controlled and organized without the random crap. Die rolls I don't care how you slice it are "luck" and nothing else. There is no monk skill or army man skill to it in them. They are just ivory bones of pure goddam luck. You can't say anything to the contrary that will make me believe otherwise. To say dice rolls are "skill" is purely unbelievable an impossible. Now a "die roller" is another thing. Some people are professional die rollers and I can accept that but not the outcome of the die roll which is nothing but luck. No skill no nothing but luck.
Igorputski

Post by Igorputski »

Skanvak wrote:Just wanting to add the lone british soldier holding a german division for a whole day and survived to tell the tale during WWI (...ok, it was at a bridge with a machinegun).
Once again that takes "skill" and "reflexes" and "marksmanship" to do what he did. It had nothing to do with die rolls and luck.
Waltero

Post by Waltero »

Igorputski wrote:
Skanvak wrote:Just wanting to add the lone british soldier holding a german division for a whole day and survived to tell the tale during WWI (...ok, it was at a bridge with a machinegun).
Once again that takes "skill" and "reflexes" and "marksmanship" to do what he did. It had nothing to do with die rolls and luck.

Think Again.
Waltero

Post by Waltero »

Quote:
"Die rolls I don't care how you slice it are "luck" and nothing else" end quote.

Dice rolls are only what you believe them to be.
Play the game. Don't look at the dice if they bother you...that is a start.
Waltero

Post by Waltero »

Are most random numbers (dice) used in computer programs generated in a predictable fashion using a mathematical formula (not truly random)?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Short of having an isotope breaking down to generate random numbers in a computer there isn't any really 'random' number generator, but that's not important for the uses we are making of them. That fact that given the state and the algorithm you know the next value isn't relevant as the outgoing sequence of numbers appears random to the user.

I think the question most people are asking is "can the random number generator produce sequences of the same number?" and the answer is Yes. Because that is a valid result you would expect from a random number sequence. It is easy to confuse 'random' with 'evenly distributed' despite the fact that one does NOT imply the other except over millions of iterations.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Waltero

Post by Waltero »

Replace the dice with cards :lol:

Computer dice have always sucked!
Yaa get no feel for the dice.
Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

All this is nice, but this would not be "Heroes of Nomandie". I don't necesseraly like it, but this is a game of dice.
Best regards,

Skanvak

Return to “Heroes of Normandie”