Initial Impressions and Houserules

Take one of the most modern, fun and engaging board games created in recent years. Match it with cutting-edge technology. Add a ridiculously well-crafted art style and a ton of extra content. This is the recipe to one of the most thrilling, charming and captivating strategy games you will ever find!
blackcats
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Initial Impressions and Houserules

Post by blackcats »

My initial impression of this game is that I love the system, but I believe there needs to be a few tweaks in order for myself to like it. I love the idea of a lighter war game, and enjoy the art, theme, easy combat, and tiles. However, I do not like how few the orders are, opp fire is nearly non-existent, and the free movements in the supply phase just seem goofy.

I have played the scenarios Godsend through My Heart Goes Boom! and I'll be using My Heart Goes Boom! as a reference to a few of my issues.

PROs- I LOVE the artwork and the abilities listed on the units.

Combat rules are fast and intuitive.

Very easy to teach to a new player.

LOVE the vehicle damage system.

I really like the WW2 Hollywood theme. I don't want this to be a hardcore war game, I just believe a few tweaks are still needed in order to hit the theme on the spot.

CONs- Opportunity fire is only present in two cards per team, and fortifications. REGARDLESS, it is not allowed during Supply phase movement, and therefore only guards vs assaults or fire and moves.

Orders being so low in number, for example in My Heart Goes Boom there are 11 units on the American side. 3 orders are available for that player, plus clint activating by himself. That means 7 of the units are simply moving for free on the supply phase right past the germans, seems a little goofy to me.

What I may change-
I want to add more orders to the game, with also keeping in mind adding orders through cards still having a good impact.

I believe I may change the bluff command to an Opp Fire option, simply it can be flipped at a normal opp fire moment to opp fire. This will give each team at least one hidden opp fire per round and give more consideration to movement.

Allowing opp fire during the Supply Phase movement. In My Heart Goes Boom the German player has OP fire through their fortifications. However, my American player simply moved during the supply phase on the first and second round and were therefore right next to my fortified positions and there wasn't jack I could do!

Thoughts, questions, concerns? Anybody feel the same way as me regarding a few of these points?
Skyarrow
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Initial Impressions and Houserules

Post by Skyarrow »

Yes partially only, I don't think that the number of order is too low. It obliges exactly a better reflection so as to realize chains, sequences which allow you to take the advantage, sometimes duppant the enemy with the pawn bluff. Units which have no order occupy and blocking ground access or delaying the enemy it's enought. I don't use all the army, i keep a reserve for later to reinforce first line and like you said it's not a hardcore game.

I play the boardgame since two years and I have never had a order problem. Between the special orders, the autonomous units you can have until 13 playable units on battlefields. Later it will be the same for the version pc/ios.

Few orders in a few missions of campaigns is a choice of the scriptwriters in the composition of army to make fair or more difficult the party.
CptAlatriste
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Initial Impressions and Houserules

Post by CptAlatriste »

This game is played in the Supply phase...In the action phase, you complete the last Supply phase..When you understand this, you understand the game..Sure for very big game 2 or 3 order will be better. The cards are not complete, (will come, I hope so)..and it s still a dice game..When your rerolls a 1 in 3 x"1" or attatck with Kamptz und get 2 x"1" well :D :D Keep smiling..

Return to “Heroes of Normandie”