PC version 1.36 - Error when checking for update

richfed
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

PC version 1.36 - Error when checking for update

Post by richfed »

Using Windows 10 1803 64-bit - When clicking on the Update button in Battle of the Bulge 1.36, I get this error message:
Attachments
Battle of Bulge Update Error.jpg
Battle of Bulge Update Error.jpg (177.08 KiB) Viewed 12095 times
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: PC version 1.36 - Error when checking for update

Post by zakblood »

sorry for the late reply, you can also grab the same file from your support page when you login, or try a different browser as not all are the same, with some blocking FTP transfers as part of browser protection im sorry to say
richfed

Post by richfed »

I'm reinstalling all my games on a clean version of Windows 10. I noticed that Panzer Corps Gold & Gettysburg: The Tide Turns are also missing the update.exe file. I can update them until I get to the most recent version, and then it's gone. Strange. Is it a Windows thing? Or, are the games kaput, so they took the file out of the last update? I'm confused. What would a browser have to do with it? I am reinstalling from my existing set-up & patch files. Thanks for your reply!
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

9 out of 10 times, files fail for a browser issue as the game opens a web browser to download the latest file from a ftp site, but also windows blocks given extensions like .exe etc also, if you leave windows 10 on default, you will be using Edge, the latest browser, which will need to be altered slightly to allow .exe and others files to be let to be able to be downloaded you will find, as the protection is rather high, when you do a direct access to the forums from your support account, as per link and instructions, this doesn't apply, no matter what O/S your on etc, then if you have any problems with the download, it's normally your Anti Vitus that stops it.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4290024

if you have any other issue, let us know, sorry for your troubles and now hope it's sorted
richfed

Post by richfed »

OK - I tried through the link you provided. I redownload the latest patches for Gettysburg: The Tide Turns & Battle of the Bulge. Installed them. I get that same error message when trying to check for a new version. There is no udate.exe file present in the games installation location, only an update.dat file.

The weird thing is, If I start from scratch, the updater works for each patch until the last one. And only for the few select games I mentioned. All others work fine.

Also, this issue was never present before Windows 10 1803. I have tried using only Windows Defender. I have tried with disabling all protection. For some odd reason, the updater is just non-existent.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

what antivirus do you use?

and have you checked the AV logs of it?

Windows 10 Home Single Language 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)

i use the latest version and atm can't replicate the issue with the default AV and firewall which comes as default in windows 10, but will ask support if anyone else has mentioned it, as looking through the forum, i can't find anything to match to say otherwise atm.

did you download to a desktop folder or a default location in windows 10 like C:user/name/downloads etc?

as desktop folders don't always have the same or right permissions to run and install updates or whole games from either, just wondering.

thanks for the reply btw and will see if anyone else here can replicate it and then see how to get around it if they can
richfed

Post by richfed »

I am using Webroot now. Was using Norton. Makes no difference. I have uninstalled all AV and just used Windows Defender. Same results. I never had the issue until the 1803 update.
Have not checked logs, but I have it set to warn me before quarantining anything.
Windows10 Pro - 64bit - version 1803 OS build 17134.81
I have a games directory on a second internal HD - All my games are installed there. Downloads are saved in OneDrive. I've done it that way for years.

BUT ... Guess what?

I copied the update.exe file from Drive on Moscow, pasted it in Battle of the Bulge, and, Voila! Works like a charm. So, I guess that's my work-around. :D
richfed

Post by richfed »

Just did the same in the other 3 games I was having this issue with. Works in all. [Frontline: The Longest Day, Gettysburg: The Tide Turns & PanzerCorps Gold] I have many other games where the issue is not present at all.

Anyway, sorted, sorta! :shock:

Return to “Battle of the Bulge: Tech Support”