Orbital defenses

Polaris Sector is a sci-fi 4X game that offers exciting exploration, detailed resource management, unique research mechanics and intense tactical combat.
von Runstedt
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Orbital defenses

Post by von Runstedt » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:26 am

Does Anyone have any good strategies fro overcoming orbital defenses other than by using fighters? So far the only profitable way for defeating heavily armed planetary defense platforms has been to zerg them with fighters but I feel like there has to be other ways. That being said, I have yet to find what those other ways might be since even in battles where I have dozens of capital ships dog pile enemy orbital stations I have yet to be able to destroy one with capital ships alone and instead watch as they all get mowed down by the defense satellites. Are there certain weapons/weapon layouts that are more effective at destroying these things, or are they specifically designed to only be weak against small fighters like the death star.

solops
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Orbital defenses

Post by solops » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:34 am

Yeah, build three or four cruisers with big, long-range guns and pound them from different directions. Simultaneously send in a few lighter missile ships to speed up the process. No fighters needed. The first time I ran into a big station, it was ugly. Once I know what I was dealing with it was not a problem, just a costly exercise.

freifrei
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by freifrei » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:37 am

Early on - rush IR laser>Baryon gun to kite them easily.
Later on - what solops said. Dont forget that you can line up your ships and command them to maintain formation.

Fighters with heavy guns\torps are the most effective, though :). Personally I use light fighters with heavy ions > heavy with gravity guns\plasma guns vs active armor to avoid dealing with defender's missile traps when there are 6+ satellites present. Also, this is basically the only scenario where jump drives are better than afterburners on fighters.

TheFlemishDuck

Post by TheFlemishDuck » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:58 pm

IR lasers are just OP. In my last game on hard where im dominating the AI all too easily in tech i rushed IR's and began mass conquest with fast IR corvette's as humans. These human IR frigate's are dirt cheap but in a group they can handle about anything, the AI can't engage me on this range so they would need to close in but thats hard to do on a 9 speed corvette for most AI ships. They can try to swarm these groups of corvette's with fighters but they don't do all that good versus groups of corvette's armed with 4 to 6 IR lasers each and some rockets below. Orbital defenses are the easiest though, all i have to do is park my corvette's just within their gun range and watch the laser show withought needing to fear gettign a scratch.

Friese
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Friese » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:33 am

IR Lasers are quite powerful, but certainly not OP. Once you encounter an enemy with active armor you'll know why.

TheFlemishDuck

Post by TheFlemishDuck » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:24 am

Does active armor completly resists dammage from IR lasers? If not then it would be just a matter of time.

Eitherway active reidium armor is afaik a lot further down the techpath, a lot more expensive and very noticably a lot more heavy thus slowing down any ship. The Ai would need to be able to catch my corvette's moving at speed 8.6 which they won't with heavy armor like that. They could put it up on fighters though. Currently my IR corvette's chew trough fighters with relative easy when flying in groups, perhaps with active reidium armored fighters that would hurt a lot more.

The reason why i call IR lasers OP is that it will allow for a "window of opportunity" to conquer the entire galaxy with fair ease if you have a techlead on the Ai and focussed towards IR lasers. Lets say you get IR lasers 50 years ahead of the Ai. By that token it would likely also take them an additional 100 years to get to active armor which is even far more costly that researching IR. In between those years that they might get to IR lasers or active reidium i can conquer most of the galaxy (well depends on how big it is afcourse, i usually play with fairly small maps like 200 stars) withought any losses to my IR fleet. Especially the "withought any losses" makes it very much OP, the Ai just doesn't have any counter at that point and you can maul trough a 100 AI corvette's with 10 of youre own withought even taking much or any dammage. Fast IR corvette's are on the battlefield in tactics simmilar to horse archers from medieval times in that they will hit you from a distance where the enemy can't engage and if the enemy wants to close in you can use youre superior mobillety to keep the enemy at youre own preffered range. This means the only ships that can close in are fighters but they gonna have a horrid time against a group of IR corvette's whatever their loadout is.

Sure, further down the techpath there is tech that can counter it. This is typical for most strategy games, civilization has that too but that doesn't mean that certain weaponry or unit's cannot be OP "in it's timeframe". It's my impression that you couldn't take a more OP techpath than rushing IR early on because there will be a given amount of time where youre opposition will be just helpless where they just couldn't have the time to research a counter. If this game had multiplayer i'm sure a lot of players would die withought being able to put up much of a fight when the first player gets to IR lasers. So in MP it practically would be "get to IR lasers asap or die".

freifrei

Post by freifrei » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:00 am

Somehow my IR ships were often overwhelmed by 300+ fighters appearing out of nowhere :D
Broadside Cluster MIRVs can help only so much after they start equipping missile traps on everything.

TheFlemishDuck

Post by TheFlemishDuck » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:13 am

freifrei wrote:Somehow my IR ships were often overwhelmed by 300+ fighters appearing out of nowhere :D
Broadside Cluster MIRVs can help only so much after they start equipping missile traps on everything.
Must be lack of scouting if they appear "out of nowhere". My human IR corvette's lack a scanner too because of room limitations so withought my fighterscouts they would not be able to engage fighters at max range and fighters then could get closer and deal more dammage. The corvette's have plenty of laser systems to bring down large quantity's of missile's though. Otherwise simply giving youre corvette's scanners would also be helpfull.

A lone iR corvette wouldn't beat 300 fighters i grant you that, but in groups of 5 to 10 those 300 fighters are going to have a misserable day. And building a few 100 fighters is typicly no small investment, especially if you want good fighters, i'm pretty sure 5 IR corvette's will turn out to be cheaper than 300 fighters. Though granted simple Ion fighters can be rather cheap and probably would be the best option to bulk build as to counter such corvette's, but youre not going to outproduce, a IR corvette takesa year to build while in the same shipyards it would take me a month to build 1 very cheap and rudimentary ion fighter or 2 months for a outfitted fighter. So 6 to 12 fighters versus 1 IR corvette, it's not going to cut it imho.

In youre case 300 fighters probably boiled down to a vastly more numerical force to deal with. By normal cost equasion you would be able to afford about 25 to 50 IR corvette's to field against that for the same price.

Return to “Polaris Sector”