Facing in combat

Polaris Sector is a sci-fi 4X game that offers exciting exploration, detailed resource management, unique research mechanics and intense tactical combat.
Jamie Thomson
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Facing in combat

Post by Jamie Thomson »

So, we're in combat. I have say 4 or 5 ships selected. I click on where I want them to go, but they adjust their facing to be in the direction of travel, often putting one end of the line in danger and just generally being annoyingly out of position. How do I get them to head to a certain point and then maintain the same facing they had when I selected them? Is that possible?
Ufnv
SoftWarWare
SoftWarWare

Re: Facing in combat

Post by Ufnv »

Jamie Thomson wrote:So, we're in combat. I have say 4 or 5 ships selected. I click on where I want them to go, but they adjust their facing to be in the direction of travel, often putting one end of the line in danger and just generally being annoyingly out of position. How do I get them to head to a certain point and then maintain the same facing they had when I selected them? Is that possible?
Give them the "Keep Formation" order.
Jamie Thomson

Post by Jamie Thomson »

I have that setting on, they keep their formation, they just turn to face their direction of travel.
Ufnv
SoftWarWare
SoftWarWare

Post by Ufnv »

Jamie Thomson wrote:I have that setting on, they keep their formation, they just turn to face their direction of travel.
Maybe I do not understand then? They cannot travel to one point facing to another one...
bjgrt
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by bjgrt »

Ufnv wrote:
Jamie Thomson wrote:I have that setting on, they keep their formation, they just turn to face their direction of travel.
Maybe I do not understand then? They cannot travel to one point facing to another one...
You can add "keep formation and orientation" option, so they'll turn upon arrival. ;)
The ability to just turn (without moving) wont hurt anyway.
Ufnv
SoftWarWare
SoftWarWare

Post by Ufnv »

bjgrt wrote: The ability to just turn (without moving) wont hurt anyway.
"Just turn" is done by shift+click.
bjgrt

Post by bjgrt »

Ufnv wrote:
bjgrt wrote: The ability to just turn (without moving) wont hurt anyway.
"Just turn" is done by shift+click.
Thanks.
Jamie Thomson

Post by Jamie Thomson »

But there is no Keep formation and Orientation option. Just keep formation. So, I have a line of say six ships, formed up line abreast from top to bottom. i select keep formation. I click a ways on front of them - they go into a single line formation, from left to right. Sure, they've kept formation, but they're now orientated east-west instead of north south. This happens seemingly in a random way. Doesn't everyone find this is what happens? But I guess not, so I'm still missing something but I can't see what! I have to say I am loving this game but moving about in combat is really pretty awfully implemented. Unless I've missed something completely?
Jamie Thomson

Post by Jamie Thomson »

Oh, and I get the shift click thing to change facing, that's not the issue for me. I dunno, maybe I'm just being a bit thick!
Ufnv
SoftWarWare
SoftWarWare

Post by Ufnv »

When you command "keep formation" they keep both current formation AND current orientation.

Now imagine, you have two ships, one just above another. Probably you with them both moving west keeping this formation - one above another.

If they both face west and you command them "keep formation", you will get right that.
If they both face north, after "keep formation" you will have them following one another.
If one your ship faces north and another south and you order them to keep formation, you actually give them an impossible task.

Return to “Polaris Sector”