Difficulty

Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun is a turn-based tactical and strategic game set during this turbulent time; primarily focusing on the Japanese Warring States period and Japanese Invasion of Korea. Other armies from East Asia are also made available to simulate different conflicts across the region.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Difficulty

Post by Nijis »

I normally play at level 3 difficulty in P&S, where the computer in a campaign has a slight advantage. But while there are five levels in P&S, there are six in SJ. What is the SJ equivalent of PS's level 3? My guess is level 4, because the manual says that in multiplayer both sides are set to level 3.

Thanks in advance!
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Difficulty

Post by rbodleyscott »

Nijis wrote:I normally play at level 3 difficulty in P&S, where the computer in a campaign has a slight advantage. But while there are five levels in P&S, there are six in SJ. What is the SJ equivalent of PS's level 3? My guess is level 4, because the manual says that in multiplayer both sides are set to level 3.

Thanks in advance!
You are correct. SJ level 4 is equivalent to P&S level 3.
Richard Bodley Scott

Skanvak
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Skanvak »

I have a question for both game P&S and Sengoku jidai : What is the level to have historical level difficulty? I mean what is the normal no bonus for every one difficulty?
Best regards,

Skanvak
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Skanvak wrote:I have a question for both game P&S and Sengoku jidai : What is the level to have historical level difficulty? I mean what is the normal no bonus for every one difficulty?
It varies from scenario to scenario, since the idea is to keep each difficulty level at a constant level, but the situation in historical battles varied in how much advantage one or other side had.
Richard Bodley Scott

Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

Thank for the answer. Could you consider to have an indication of which difficulty should be used to play the Historical battle as it was?

I really want to play the historical battle as they were not at a given difficulty level.

The campaign have a default no bonus for every one difficulty or not?
Best regards,

Skanvak
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Skanvak wrote:Thank for the answer. Could you consider to have an indication of which difficulty should be used to play the Historical battle as it was?

I really want to play the historical battle as they were not at a given difficulty level.
Jayson might be able to answer this for Sengoku Jidai. To be honest it is so long long since I wrote the P&S historical scenarios that I cannot recall which level would match the historical difficulty for each scenario. You won't go too far wrong, however, if you play on the middle difficulty level,
On the second difficulty level, the player has a 5% advantage in starting revenue (25% on the first difficulty level).

On the third difficulty level the AI has a 5% advantage in starting revenue. (18% on the 4th level, 34% on the 5th level, 50% on the 6th level).
Richard Bodley Scott

jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Skanvak wrote:Thank for the answer. Could you consider to have an indication of which difficulty should be used to play the Historical battle as it was?

I will have to check that out again and make a summary becasuse they're at different levels. Some battles are so one sided at historical difficulty.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

Just curious - why would you have battles in the game that are very one-sided at the standard difficulty level? Where is the fun in that?

Sure, the missions may be historically accurate, but we're playing a game here. I play games for enjoyment and challenge, and hope the developers create battles that all playable sides have even somewhat of a chance of winning with good tactics. Completely lopsided battles are no fun for anyone, and don't make for very compelling gameplay in my opinion.

Shouldn't you have put your efforts into making a bunch of battles that both sides have even somewhat of a chance to win? That would make for much better gameplay, rather than just a simulation of losing, or winning with your eyes closed in the one-sided battles.
Rosseau
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Rosseau »

Perhaps something in the briefing would help if indeed this situation exists. I'm still losing in the tutorials :wink:
Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

FroBodine wrote:Just curious - why would you have battles in the game that are very one-sided at the standard difficulty level? Where is the fun in that?
You failed to see the point. The fun is in the experience and exploration. I use historical wargame to understand history so at some point I need to be able to play a simulation that is historically accurate even if the outcome is known. Replaying the history is what matter, losing or winning is secondary.

For example we play Dien Bien Phu despite the historical setting to be quite one side. Because we would have wanted to be there (and survived). We want to see if we can do better than history, we like the thrill of fighting a desperate battle (remember Alamo too or Rocke's drift or a 3 way wargame set in 1945 germany, if you play the germans). On the other side you might want a perfect battle (cleaning Okinawa with fewer loss and faster than the US did in reality in one old wargame) or just enjoy stomping (not my cup of tea but that appeal to some or when tired).
Best regards,

Skanvak
Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

Rosseau wrote:Perhaps something in the briefing would help if indeed this situation exists. I'm still losing in the tutorials :wink:
His you need mentoring I can help using discord. I have made a video of the first tutorial. For the second follow the hint.
Best regards,

Skanvak
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

FroBodine wrote:Shouldn't you have put your efforts into making a bunch of battles that both sides have even somewhat of a chance to win? That would make for much better gameplay, rather than just a simulation of losing, or winning with your eyes closed in the one-sided battles.
That is what we have done. Jayson meant the the historical situation was very one-sided. In these scenarios you don't actually have to win the battle, you just have to do better than the historical side did. And if you play as the advantaged side you have to win with very few losses.
Richard Bodley Scott

Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

FroBodine wrote:Just curious - why would you have battles in the game that are very one-sided at the standard difficulty level? Where is the fun in that?

Sure, the missions may be historically accurate, but we're playing a game here. I play games for enjoyment and challenge, and hope the developers create battles that all playable sides have even somewhat of a chance of winning with good tactics. Completely lopsided battles are no fun for anyone, and don't make for very compelling gameplay in my opinion.

Shouldn't you have put your efforts into making a bunch of battles that both sides have even somewhat of a chance to win? That would make for much better gameplay, rather than just a simulation of losing, or winning with your eyes closed in the one-sided battles.
I think you have misunderstood what Jomni was trying to say. He meant that some historical battles were very one sided in real life. That of course is true!

As far as the scenarios in the game are concerned, for Multiplayer scenarios they are designed to give a balanced battle for both sides, this is done through adjusting the quantity and quality of the units on both sides and other factors.

For the single player scenarios, these have to be adjusted to give the AI side an advantage, because the AI is a weaker opponent than a skilled human player. Otherwise the scenarios would be far too easy and therefore not fun. A player can always change the difficulty level to give a challenging experience suitable for his/her ability.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

Skanvak wrote:
You failed to see the point. The fun is in the experience and exploration. I use historical wargame to understand history so at some point I need to be able to play a simulation that is historically accurate even if the outcome is known. Replaying the history is what matter, losing or winning is secondary.
Thank you, Skanvak, but I did not fail to see any point. I completely understand reproducing historical battles. But, this is a game, and you should have a chance to win.

Thank you Richard, Jomni and everyone else for explaining how the scenarios work in this game.

-=Jeff
Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

You have a chance to win : it is either to do better than history or actually win against all odds. There are game were winning is not possible, they are fun too.

My point was to have an "Historical Difficulty Setting" for Historical battle and a "Neutral Difficulty" setting for the campaign.
Best regards,

Skanvak

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun”