Command & Control

Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun is a turn-based tactical and strategic game set during this turbulent time; primarily focusing on the Japanese Warring States period and Japanese Invasion of Korea. Other armies from East Asia are also made available to simulate different conflicts across the region.
Miletus
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Command & Control

Post by Miletus »

I know I'm going to get slaughtered for this, but after playing loads of Sengoku Jidai over the past fortnight I have to say that I don't really like the new command and control system - i.e. generals with specific units under them, and all that that entails.

Of course, I recognise that this has been put together with great attention to detail and to historical veracity. I fully appreciate the work that's been put in. My preferences are purely personal, and for me the simple and intuitive system in Pike and Shot is far more to my taste. I suppose I err on the 'fun' side of wargaming, and don't like getting bogged down in detail. For me, as a non-grognard, the new game just doesn't seem to flow in the way the original Pike and Shot does. I hope this isn't the shape of things to come.

Having said all that... This is still a very fine game, clearly a labour of love, and I'll continue to play it from time to time. Who knows, maybe the new system will grow on me, though I rather doubt it!
Cheers,
Miletus.

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls -
just answer the door already!"
Jagger2002
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Command & Control

Post by Jagger2002 »

Personally, I do like the new command system. However I also like the Pike and Shot without the command system.

So I would like to see three options with the command system.

1. The original Pike and Shot system without the command system. For the wild and woolly game.
2. The Sengoku command system for historically appropriate recreations.
3. For the third option, I would like the ability to designate what units go into what battlegroups. Or at least, be able to assign some units to battlegroups. I suspect, historically, you could make the case that some strong warlords or kings would be able to organize their army as they wished or at least some. However in many cases that would not be true. Still for gameplay/game fun purposes, the option would be very interesting.

Also I hope to see the command system put into the original Pike and Shot game if the options are available.
Doyley50
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Doyley50 »

I must admit, my first thoughts on playing the game were similar to those of Miletus. With the new command system it seemed to lack the ebb flow I was used to in P and S. I think it will grow on me when I get more used to it, but Jagger's suggestion is a good one, if both systems were available, everyone would be happy.
KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Jagger2002 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:27 am Personally, I do like the new command system.

3. For the third option, I would like the ability to designate what units go into what battlegroups. Or at least, be able to assign some units to battlegroups. I suspect, historically, you could make the case that some strong warlords or kings would be able to organize their army as they wished or at least some. However in many cases that would not be true. Still for gameplay/game fun purposes, the option would be very interesting.
Yes totally agree Jagger 2002.
I am playing several competition games using the same Faction and find the inability to arrange the command structure and swap units around between commands a real pain.
A good example is one game where my best General is in a command of two units, one a mob of peasants the other a matchlock unit. I would very much like this guy to be leading a large unit of Superior Warriors but am unable to transfer units from one command to another.

RBS is this a possibility in a future update?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

KiwiWarlord wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:46 am
Jagger2002 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:27 am Personally, I do like the new command system.

Yes totally agree Jagger 2002.
I am playing several competition games using the same Faction and find the inability to arrange the command structure and swap units around between commands a real pain.
A good example is one game where my best General is in a command of two units, one a mob of peasants the other a matchlock unit. I would very much like this guy to be leading a large unit of Superior Warriors but am unable to transfer units from one command to another.

RBS is this a possibility in a future update?
Well it would be possible, but the game attempts to reflect the nature of Japanese armies.
Richard Bodley Scott

KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Thanks for the reply RBS.
Looks like we have to take what comes and make the best use of what we are given, all part of the skill of the game.
Cronos09
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Cronos09 »

I could add the "Switch Command" script from FoG2. Since it is not desirable to change the structure of game files, this can only be done for individual modules that need to be placed at ...\Documents\My Games\PSCAMP\Campaigns or Multiplayer\. In which modules you need to add it?

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun”