Marvelous game

Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun is a turn-based tactical and strategic game set during this turbulent time; primarily focusing on the Japanese Warring States period and Japanese Invasion of Korea. Other armies from East Asia are also made available to simulate different conflicts across the region.
goatfeeder
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Marvelous game

Post by goatfeeder » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:25 pm

I just wanted to post a quick note to congratulate the developers on this superb game. It took me a little while to get used to the system, but now that I'm into it, the variety of battles and flavour that emerges from the randomly created campaign is very engaging. It has inspired me to learn a little more about the history from this particular period, which in many respects is stranger than fiction.

I know I'm retreading old ground here, but I'd love it if this was available on ipad. I know it could be achieved, as I think Pike and Shot is a similar engine. I understand that there are issues with the engine being 32 bit rather than 64 bit (or something like that - tech is not my strong point) but surely it has to be worth converting, particularly given the wide scope to create further games using the same engine?

I haven't played Pike and Shot, and I'm reluctant to buy it, as a premium game, as if I've understood the situation correctly, with every ios update, there is a chance that the engine will stop working. Is this correct?

Anyway, whatever the outcome, this is one of the favourite games I've played in a long time. A triumph of game design above the surface gloss that is evident in so many other games.

Mike

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Marvelous game

Post by zakblood » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:30 pm

and it's only going to get better :wink:

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:18 pm

It's pretty clear that Apple wants to go 64bit only at some point, it helps force people to update, but the first 64 bit device didn't ship until 2013 so it seems unlikely that they would throw every device prior to that under the bus any time soon. But we can't speak for them obviously.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:41 pm

goatfeeder wrote:Anyway, whatever the outcome, this is one of the favourite games I've played in a long time. A triumph of game design above the surface gloss that is evident in so many other games.
Many thanks for your kind words.
Richard Bodley Scott

GShock112
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by GShock112 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:42 am

He's right it's a jewel. :oops:

jack54
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jack54 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:07 pm

Without question this is one of my favorite games; imho, the best purchase I've made in a quite some time. Like the OP I now find myself drawn to this period in history.

My only regret; current funds led me to purchase the basic version, which btw has plenty of gameplay, but now I 'WANT' it all. The Collectors Edition, Gempei Krassen ....

If you keep'em coming I wouldn't mind staying in the East a while :D

jack54
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jack54 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:27 am

Ok I added the Collector's Edition DLC update ... :D

edward77
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by edward77 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:34 pm

I agree it is a very good game but Gshock`s points on some of the strategic play are quite valid. No Army can constantly refuse battle and the idea that one should let the defender chase the attacker around the map is ridiculous. A change I would like to see is some info or fuzzy estimate on the location and timing of reinforcements so the player has some idea of what tactics to adopt.

LFDLM
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by LFDLM » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:40 am

As a FoG defector (which weirdly doesn't work with my windows 10) I must say that P&S and SJ are two wonderful games. These are the games that I was waiting for 30 years.

Many Thx !

GShock112

Post by GShock112 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:13 pm

edward77 wrote:I agree it is a very good game but Gshock`s points on some of the strategic play are quite valid. No Army can constantly refuse battle and the idea that one should let the defender chase the attacker around the map is ridiculous. A change I would like to see is some info or fuzzy estimate on the location and timing of reinforcements so the player has some idea of what tactics to adopt.
The problem is related to the fact if you split to pursue, your standing army will be kicked out itself by some other enemy army. So you must decide whether to pursue or not to pursue... unless you go with a small force and use your standing garrisons to increment its numbers. There's the major problem of inability to reinforce armies on the front with fresh units but it's all actually the adaptation of a single engagement battle system (which is totally extraordinary in its mechanics) to a campaign engine that is overly simplified.

Chits, cards, dices... anything may be used to revamp the campaign system and my saying is that if this system is heavily invested on with manpower and resources, the whole battlefield system will benefit.

The map changes, the armies compositions change (but too little) but the strategic situation and the tactical victory-defeat is always the same. You get the feeling you're fighting the same battle over and over again with just some minor details changing.

Supply, reinforcements, defection, assassination/sabotage, treason, alliances, regional allegiance, weather, fatigue, ambushes, multi-army battles (2vs1, 2vs2, etc), true leadership (I need generals whose names I know to get attached to them, to KNOW what they can do one battle after the other) it's all in the team's grasp. It would be a capital crime to forsake these things because it's what they would add to the battlefield system... it's what the player needs to do to get to that battle in a situation of advantage that is the essence of the campaign and not what happens in a serie of battles that all seem the same (even if they are not).

Can you believe it... I've been playing this game intensively and I've only seen the Tenka Fubu campaign (and the tutorials). :-)

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun”