Adebar's Improved Zoom mod

Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun is a turn-based tactical and strategic game set during this turbulent time; primarily focusing on the Japanese Warring States period and Japanese Invasion of Korea. Other armies from East Asia are also made available to simulate different conflicts across the region.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Adebar's Improved Zoom mod

Post by Paul59 »

I don't know if many players of Sengoku Jidai are aware of this early mod from Adebar for Pike and Shot;

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 42#p646942

It works in SJ as well, and you can use it to get a much closer zoom, and a lower camera angle, which I think gives a much better look to the game.

My own preference is for a Pitch angle of 23, rather than 45. It gives a much nicer camera angle in my opinion. Just take a look at the screenshots in my terrain download posts if you want to see the results that you can get.

Paul
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: Adebar's Improved Zoom mod

Post by ErissN6 »

Thanks, but it doesn't make the roster fonts bigger (in the screen where we buy units), so I still have to use a smaller resolution.
However, thanks again for sharing.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

ERISS wrote:Thanks, but it doesn't make the roster fonts bigger (in the screen where we buy units), so I still have to use a smaller resolution.
Yes, this does not affect the font size, only the players view of the battlefield, specifically the camera angle and the maximum level of zoom.

Several months ago I was researching new fonts to use in Sengoku Jidai, I was looking for something a bit more oriental than the standard font. I did not find what I was looking for, but I am sure that I came across some fonts that appeared larger on screen than the standard font. Unfortunately I cannot remember what they were called, but I am sure you could find something suitable for your purposes. A slight problem that you may encounter is that SJ requires a very comprehensive font, as the some words require some unusual Japanese punctuation marks.

To install a new font you rename the new font "FONT2_ITAL.TTF", and paste it into the Core folder in your main installation. You must make a copy of the original FONT2_ITAL.TTF in case you want to go back to it.

Good luck
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

ErissN6

Post by ErissN6 »

Thanks. However I don't want to change the font, but the UI choose a one step (or two?) bigger size in this file.
It may be from a text file in \Core\UI or in \System.
ErissN6

Post by ErissN6 »

I repeat here this Pike&Shot 'mod':
Adebar wrote:Go to the 'Data' folder (in the game's main folder). Make a backup copy of MAPVIEW.TXT. This .txt file is write-protected. Change this via "Properties". After that, open this file. You'll see the following lines (they may have changed from a last patch):
PITCH 45
ZOOM 400
ZOOMLIMIT 500
ZOOMINLIMIT 300
ROTATE 30
FOV 30
Now you can make your changes. Then save. Then start the game and load a scenario.
For my 21.5' 1920x1080 monitor, I changed to this (IIRC):
PITCH 30
ZOOM 400
ZOOMLIMIT 540
ZOOMINLIMIT 175
ROTATE 30
FOV 35
I didn't really see the difference with the fov, but it didn't harm.
What is 'ZOOM' 2nd number for? I didn't test. Edit: Oh, I guess it must be the initial welcoming zoom on the map. So it should not be very relevant.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

ERISS wrote: I didn't really see the difference with the fov, but it didn't harm.
What is 'ZOOM' 2nd number for? I didn't test. Edit: Oh, I guess it must be the initial welcoming zoom on the map. So it should not be very relevant.
Yes, I have never changed the FOV. It is the ability to lower the camera angle and zoom in more that I find useful.

BTW, you were right about the font size being in the System folder. There is a font.txt in the System folder that determines all the font sizes used in the game. Unfortunately there are 17 different types of font in the file, so you may have to change some or all to get the effect that you want. It seems to be a matter of increasing the height size. Maybe you should try increasing them all slightly until you get what you want, or maybe try and identify which fonts you need bigger and just change them.

Please remember to make a backup of the original file and keep it safe, in case you make a big mistake and need to go back to the standard settings!

regards

Paul

FOGII TT Mod Creator

ErissN6

Post by ErissN6 »

This thread should be put, and even sticked, in Modders Corner part of forum.
Even, maybe let it start with my post, with in the very start a thank to Paul59 who had retrieved this mod:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 66#p647104
uneducated

Post by uneducated »

Paul59 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:14 am
ERISS wrote:Thanks, but it doesn't make the roster fonts bigger (in the screen where we buy units), so I still have to use a smaller resolution.
Yes, this does not affect the font size, only the players view of the battlefield, specifically the camera angle and the maximum level of zoom.

Several months ago I was researching new fonts to use in Sengoku Jidai, I was looking for something a bit more oriental than the standard font. I did not find what I was looking for, but I am sure that I came across some fonts that appeared larger on screen than the standard font. Unfortunately I cannot remember what they were called, but I am sure you could find something suitable for your purposes. A slight problem that you may encounter is that SJ requires a very comprehensive font, as the some words require some unusual Japanese punctuation marks.

To install a new font you rename the new font "FONT2_ITAL.TTF", and paste it into the Core folder in your main installation. You must make a copy of the original FONT2_ITAL.TTF in case you want to go back to it.

Good luck
Presumbably, you checked dafont.com in your search for your oriental font?

https://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=201
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

uneducated wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:15 pm
Paul59 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:14 am

Good luck
Presumbably, you checked dafont.com in your search for your oriental font?

https://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=201
Possibly, but as it was nearly three years ago I don't remember. The website does look vaguely familiar.

The problem, as I mentioned in my old post, is that Sengoku Jidai requires a very comprehensive font, and none of the fonts that I liked had all the symbols that SJ needs.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Return to “Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun”