My Polaris Sector onedrive Modding-Help folder

Firefox440
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Re: My Polaris Sector onedrive Modding-Help folder

Post by Firefox440 »

Can you tell by steps what you want make. For me is a mess follow what you are asking.

If I can answer you in the forum, I will not answer you with a private message. Specially when the answer can be useful for other people.
Rising-Sun
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Rising-Sun »

Nevermind then. I figure it out my own way, thanks for trying.
Ufnv
SoftWarWare
SoftWarWare

Post by Ufnv »

redindus69 wrote: Thanks for sharing that with us, I looked into the rtq.text file and noticed the language isn't English that related to Lang or w/e that is.
rtq.txt is a very special file that is required for automatic text replacement. You can note there are two .bat files, one is rtq_es.bat and another is rtq_es_conv.bat. The second one not only compiles .a files, but also performs a text-replacement task, using the data from rtq.txt file. In this case, it replaces all texts in code from English into Russian.

But this is is used only if you need such translation, otherwise you can just work with pure .a files.
I been trying to change things around in my game so I can be more happy with it, since they left out an options for users to change race/specie names as well symbol or avatar. So I got my picture up and running and
I am trying to figure out how to get the race name to change. The file you uploaded, I found it, but couldn't figure out how to make this work, otherwise it would have messed
up the Lang that is in Russia Language and need it in English.
You need to change names in .a file. For example, to change names for Sharatars, you need to edit r_sha.a file, lines 40-46
Too bad they didn't put all these texts in LANG folders, least make it for .xml format so it would be easier to mod them. So how can I make this to work? Already unpack it, just
need to get the race name changed.
You can also change this in LANG files - rtq.lng . For Sharatars, for example it's line 547 - 553
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Thanks Ufnv, figured that second batch file is a switch to Russian Language, when I saw that rus\ switch compare to other batch file is switch different languages.

Almost had it last night, until I came across something else as well you mention this too. Thanks again :)

So all you have to do is change text you want under race.a (change race name) run that batch file either default or the conv for Russia language, then copy rtq.cht, rtq.gen, rtq.pht, rtq.rht to Polaris Sector folder, then copy rtq.lng into Lang folder so that text can be display. But you gotta unpack it first though. Hope this will help for others to understand it how it work.

Another question, just noticed you are the developer of that game (same name tag on steam) are you planning on making expansion for this game in the future? Btw you did
a great job on this project, just wish there were more options for users can choose from.

Here a screenshot...
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.c ... 5F5899477/

Manage to change the race color to purple, switch from Erians, so Erians would be yellow. Also giving Xeno the aquatic trait as well. They can be just about anywhere in the galaxy.
Proeliumerus
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Proeliumerus »

Is it possible to add new resources?

What about changing resource names?

Can you make tech and buildings increase incomes?

I don't have any time to make my mod right now, but if these questions could be answered, would help with the planning process...?
Firefox440

Post by Firefox440 »

Is it possible to add new resources? Yes.

What about changing resource names?
Yes.

Can you make tech and buildings increase incomes?
Yes.

I don't have any time to make my mod right now, but if these questions could be answered, would help with the planning process...? All these things are very easy, there are many information about them in the guide and I increase the amount of information each one or two weeks. Depending from my free time for it.
EvilVictor

Post by EvilVictor »

Thanks for collecting all this information in one spot!

Any way we can get some clarification on this bit:
How can I create a mod path?
In Remember.cfg file, after Locale variable, it is possible to insert the line like this:
CurrentModPath "mod_path/"
This will mean the game will first be looking for the resources in the "mod_path/"
subdirectory of the game directory. So instead of overwriting files, you can put all the
modified files there.
I did both steps and did some testing with modified PlanType.lng, PLANTYPE.INI, PRESETS.INI and PALLETTE.INI but I don't see any changes in the game (or any verification that it's even reading the modpath). So far I've tried just dumping all of the files into the modpath folder and using the same directory structure of the game like this:

G:\Steam\steamapps\common\Polaris Sector\vicsmod
G:\Steam\steamapps\common\Polaris Sector\vicsmod\CONFIG.A
G:\Steam\steamapps\common\Polaris Sector\vicsmod\LANG\Eng

Here is the excerpt from my Remember.cfg file:

Code: Select all

//AutoRunBattlePath "BattleTest11"
Locale "Eng"
CurrentModPath "vicsmod/"
I do see my changes in game when I overwrite the original files but not when using the CurrentModPath.

*** Update (Resolved) ***

Using the the correct "Remember.cfg" files from the my documents/my games (rather than the one in the steam game folder) fixes the problem I was having.
Last edited by EvilVictor on Wed May 04, 2016 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
RandomAttack
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by RandomAttack »

Ok, I'm trying to do a very simple mod to just add the atmospheric dome on normal difficulty (like with easy diff). So I opened the player.a file and simply added the line--
when skNormal:
// add one colonizer
DesignHandle = call UFGetShipDesignByName("Scout", Player.raceID)
if (0!=DesignHandle)
call UFNewFleet(Player.raceID, PlayerHomeStar, call UFNewShip(DesignHandle, Player.raceID))
end if

call UFGrantTechnology(Player.raceID, "SCBLDPLATFORM")

to:
when skNormal:
// add one colonizer
DesignHandle = call UFGetShipDesignByName("Scout", Player.raceID)
if (0!=DesignHandle)
call UFNewFleet(Player.raceID, PlayerHomeStar, call UFNewShip(DesignHandle, Player.raceID))
end if

call UFGrantTechnology(Player.raceID, "SCBLDPLATFORM")
call UFGrantTechnology(Player.raceID, "SCBLDDOME")

Yet when I run the compiler I get an error
Opening: player.a
player.a: Error! At 1 2 : Syntax Error.

I literally just copied the line exactly as was in the "easy" section and pasted it into the "normal" section. What am I doing wrong??

Edit: Gah!! Even if I delete what I added and run the compiler again I STILL get the exact same "syntax error". #@$R@^&*!! :lol:
RandomAttack

Post by RandomAttack »

C'mon guys, a little help please. "Bueller? Bueller?" :) :P :lol:
Firefox440

Post by Firefox440 »

Sorry but I do not know the answer and Ufnv is a bit out. Sooner or later, he will return.
Ufnv
SoftWarWare
SoftWarWare

Post by Ufnv »

RandomAttack wrote: Yet when I run the compiler I get an error
Opening: player.a
player.a: Error! At 1 2 : Syntax Error.

I literally just copied the line exactly as was in the "easy" section and pasted it into the "normal" section. What am I doing wrong??

Edit: Gah!! Even if I delete what I added and run the compiler again I STILL get the exact same "syntax error". #@$R@^&*!! :lol:
You did everything right. What is wrong is your text editor application. Looks like it inserted some special symbols, like different CR/LF sequences than standard, etc.
RandomAttack

Post by RandomAttack »

Thanks Ufnv! I was just using notepad, guess I'll try a couple others-- maybe wordpad. Just keep experimenting I guess.

Edit: Downloaded & used Notepad++ (for the first time), and it worked like a champ. Woo Hoo! :D
bjgrt
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by bjgrt »

What are the following parameters mean exactly?
Property bpAffectsDangerHappiness
Parm 1.100000
Parm 0.000000

How is effects of bpSuppressRevolt different from bpAffectsDangerHappiness?

The last patch changed the morale mechanics. Don't want to start figuring it out by test and error from the beginning again.

BTW, why the forum's engine refuses to search for "AffectsDangerHappiness" and alike?
Firefox440

Post by Firefox440 »

bjgrt wrote:What are the following parameters mean exactly?
Parm 1.100000
Parm 0.000000

I recomend you test by yourself these things. Most of modding is a lot of test. ;)
bjgrt

Post by bjgrt »

Nomada_Firefox wrote:I recomend you test by yourself these things. Most of modding is a lot of test. ;)
How do I opt out of such "help"?
Ufnv
SoftWarWare
SoftWarWare

Post by Ufnv »

bjgrt wrote:What are the following parameters mean exactly?
Parm 1.100000
Parm 0.000000

The last patch changed the morale mechanics. Don't want to start figuring it out by test and error from the beginning again.

BTW, why the forum's engine refuses to search for "AffectsDangerHappiness" and alike?
first parm is a multiplier, second is the adder.

bpAffectsDangerHappiness affects only danger-realted feelings.

bpSuppressRevolt is a general suppression of a revolt, it's parameter is population suppressed.
bjgrt

Post by bjgrt »

Thanks. I see there is also a bpAffectsAssimilationHappiness in the AlienControl. Are there others? Can I (similarly) add bpAffectsOvertimeHappiness?
Firefox440

Post by Firefox440 »

Only for modders with the Steam game as you, I have added the extracted content here. http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-pol ... nloadsform

Just unzip it. Next I recomend you to create a mod folder inside the game and to add the line in the REMEMBER.CFG from ..\Documents\My Games\Polaris Sector\
After the first line
Locale "Eng"
CurrentModPath "Your_mod_folder_name/"

Inside the folder, you can add only your edited files. Very easy and simple.
Firefox440

Post by Firefox440 »

I have added the Lumens 1.06d modkit here.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-pol ... nloadsform
GodwinW
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by GodwinW »

So I have been trying to get modding help for Polaris Sector.

OP has been a great help but we're both stumped.

I will explain once more exactly what I did:

* Installed Polaris Sector Lumens with steam on my D: drive.
* Downloaded extracted files from OP to check the nature of the human race images (one is HUMAN128.png and one is HUMAN_1024.png) and that's all I needed the extracted files for.
* Created a ModfolderG in the main Polaris install folder and saved my created pictures in there with the name and format of the original human ones.
* Entered a line 'CurrentModPath "ModfolderG/" ' in REMEMBER.CFG in MyGames/PolarisSector
* Started the game

It does not work.
I don't know what I did wrong.

Also, I tried -extract all in command prompt but although steam asks 'do you wish to run with extra line " -extract all " and I say yes, nothing at all happens.

Anyone know why that is?

Third and last: I came across, under 'battle config', CycledBattleField false.
What does this do? Are there different battlefields we can see? Or is this obsolete?
(I tried putting IntroVideo on, but that had zero effect, so I think there is none and it's obsolete.)

Return to “Modders Corner”